IGNORED

(YT) AI writes program in the MOS 6502 assembler (ChatGPT)

JKK

Hi,

Let me invite you for a short video:

*** Will artificial intelligence replace software developers in the future? Will IT experts become unemployed or have to plant carrots? How will ChatGPT deal with assembly language programming of the legendary Atari 800XL retro computer? What is machine language and why does using it require a lot of IT experience? At the end, a discussion with AI, which computer is better Atari 800XL or Commodore 64. It's going to be fun! ***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CapitanClassic said:

If I remember from my news headline, YT video synopsis, if any question is in a title/headline, the answer is no.

Do you treat this as a general rule whatever is the subject? Thus, how should it be written to attract viewers?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 12:52 PM, tuf said:

I think most people are grossed out by AI at this point, aren't they?

Let's find out. So I posed the question to an AI Chat-Bot...

image.png.9ead1eefec32b2bb4cdf4e718843341b.png

And now to end the age old debate on which computer is better, I asked the same Chat-Bot the proverbial question...

image.png.1bc893549ade91281294e4b383fa8416.png

And I'm glad to see that there is no clear winner, so that I can finally stop worrying about whether I made the right decision back in the 80's.

After all an AI Chat-Bot would never let personal preference influence its answers. Would it? Hmm...

image.png.dd54a806e8bd9af0b814bdd001fdb350.png

image.png.6e92223af4aa5ca3f481f622a860d243.png

Well that settles it for me :lolblue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 4/6/2023 at 4:50 PM, mytek said:

And now to end the age old debate on which computer is better, I asked the same Chat-Bot the proverbial question...

Interesting that ChatGPT repeats the same answers (or almost the same answers) for all people who ask very similar questions. Intelligence means also for me that answers differ. It's not the question about main message as here I would expect it stays the same, but justifications, arguments etc.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 4:08 AM, JagChris said:

I got lazy and asked AI what error code 8 was in Atari basic. It said it's an out of memory error. Actually an input error. 

Which AI do you guys think is the most reliable for even basic stuff like that?

Conclusion, never trust AI! :P What is worse, so many people, including decision-makers, are so enthusiastic about AI that it can lead to big problems...

You to the bank: What happened with my deposit for USD 1,000 I had in your bank and it disappeared?

Bank to you: Your loan for USD 1,000 we credited you has still not been repaid. We are taking the case to court!

You to the bank: I've never had any credit!

Bank to you: AI knows better! :D

• Like 1

I changed careers last year from Data Engineer to AI Engineer.

In my view, computers do displace jobs.   Even the word "computer" once referred to a human profession The earliest.known usage was 1613, and referred to the job - a person who does computations.

Will digital machines replace the profession of computer?   Well a omputer can do billions of calculations per second, the fastest of humans might eke out 20.  So, good luck getting a job as a computer, these days.

If a person can do a billion calculations per second, I'd remove a computer from the server room and hire a human to do it instead.  I like humans that way.

Anyway - this is my view on AI as well, once the AI is better than the human, humans will instantly not want that job any more.   That's how it works....society adjusts to the new norms.

AI will do most programming, in my department, our plan is for the AI engineer to be a type of program manager that plans out the specs and another that checks in code, but the AI will do the programming.  We aren't there today of course, but it really isn't in much doubt that within a short period of time, it will get there.

It's actually quite clear that AI is going to displace many types of jobs, probably the first ones are copy writers that are essentially writing copy for computer systems already.   Many types of copy are keyword embedded and are for the search algorithm as much as any human to read.  But this is just one of many jobs to be automated.   image generation, copy generation, many types of programming, will be automated soon.

I've asked ChatGPT to do simple programs in Atari Basic. It will do weird things like disable the keyboard when you definitely don't want to do that. 

But if you bring it up  it will correct itself. 

It seems to currently be useful to give you somewhat of an idea of how to do what you want. 

Lots of people ridicule and poo-poo AI for stuff like this but I think that reaction is too extreme. Not completely without merit but too extreme.

15 hours ago, Mark2008 said:

Anyway - this is my view on AI as well, once the AI is better than the human, humans will instantly not want that job any more.   That's how it works....society adjusts to the new norms.

AI will do most programming, in my department, our plan is for the AI engineer to be a type of program manager that plans out the specs and another that checks in code, but the AI will do the programming.  We aren't there today of course, but it really isn't in much doubt that within a short period of time, it will get there.

Society adjusts after much fighting, Unionizing, and political back door payouts.  Sure, we don't ride horses to work anymore, but I best not talk about reducing coal usage.

I yearn for the day that AI is better than a human at programming.  In fact, I don't think it will be that hard given a lot of today's coders that I've worked with suck at performance, elegance, fault management, unknown condition exceptions...  at least AI won't retort to pointing out such errors with "oh, yeah, I didn't think of that."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kheller2 said:

In fact, I don't think it will be that hard given a lot of today's coders that I've worked with suck at performance, elegance, fault management, unknown condition exceptions...  at least AI won't retort to pointing out such errors with "oh, yeah, I didn't think of that."

Sound like you worked with that same people I used to :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danwinslow said:

Look, it's not thinking. It's just pattern recognition and response production on a mass scale. It has been trained on millions of input patterns and responses of, well, us. In a very real sense we are just hearing our own words/code repeated to us.

This - it's literally give a million monkeys a million typewriters, and one will randomly shit out Shakespeare.

• Like 1