8" was Floppy

5.52 was Flexible

3.5 was Flexible cartridge

but that became

8 inch floppy

5.25 flexible/floppy

3.5" flexible

it is what it is.

If I had a nickel for every person I heard call a 3.5" disk, a "hard disk"...

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

or even 1/100 of it for everyone calling a floppy image with a game "a ROM"... 🤪

I'll take money on that... but they don't just call floppy images ROMs, they call all emulation files ROMs (XEX, CAS, and even BAS files included)... and make it ROMz for good measure.

38 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

or even 1/100 of it for everyone calling a floppy image with a game "a ROM"... 🤪

Yeah, that bugs the heck out of me for some reason. I've given up trying to correct everyone that I find using the term though. Life is far too short!

• Haha 1

Washing Machine sized hard drives existed as did the hard disks you'd load into them. They were not fixed disks though.

Fixed disks are not hard drives.

Fixed disks are unified with drive mechanisms. You can see where this is going.

So a fixed disk is as a unit of rigid magnetic disk(s) (platter(s)) mounted permanently in a drive unit and stays inside an enclosure that normally does not move, and is not easily removed.

A removable disk is as a floppy diskette or compact disc are, both easily inserted and removed from the computer or enclosure.

Removable hard disks did have drives that were referred as hard disk drives though and were essentially smaller versions or what I stated at the top of this post. You could say it's come full circle... :)

Now insert the cartridge of hard disks into the removable hard disk drive and run!

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Washing Machine sized hard drives existed as did the hard disks you'd load into them. They were not fixed disks though.

Fixed disks are not hard drives.

Fixed disks are unified with drive mechanisms. You can see where this is going.

So a fixed disk is as a unit of rigid magnetic disk(s) (platter(s)) mounted permanently in a drive unit and stays inside an enclosure that normally does not move, and is not easily removed.

A removable disk is as a floppy diskette or compact disc are, both easily inserted and removed from the computer or enclosure.

Removable hard disks did have drives that were referred as hard disk drives though and were essentially smaller versions or what I stated at the top of this post. You could say it's come full circle... :)

Now insert the cartridge of hard disks into the removable hard disk drive and run!

What would an SSD be then if "drive" is incorrect?   It's not round and doesn't spin so it's not a disk.  Even though it behaves like a 'fixed disk'

19 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Isn't SSD = Solid State Disk or Solid State Drive?

Makes a lot of sense. 🤪

Solid State Drive according to Wikipedia which is always correct of course....

7 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

solid-state storage device

So SS/SD?  We've come full circle!

• Haha 3