IGNORED

VRGE 2023: Vancouver Retro Gaming Expo

Lathe26

2 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

Has anyone gone before? How does it compare to PRGE? I went to one in Toronto last year but it wasn’t even close.

I went to the first one. Nowhere near as big as PRGE, though it is growing.  And, FWIW, I went to PRGE before it was PRGE (or even in Portland, or Oregon, for that matter) and it started small, too.

My experience with the swaps out here is that they're mostly retro, but also mostly Nintendo.  Tonnes of NES, SNES, N64, ect.  Not a lot before that.  You can find smatterings of it, I got a whole bunch of my CIB Intellivision from one, but for guys like me that are looking mostly for pre-NES, you really have to hunt.

The best ones were the Waterloo swap back in the day.  The Barrie swap I've heard is the biggest and best nowadays.  But ya, one thing that I was thrilled with at PRGE when I went was there was SO MUCH pre-NES at the show.  Loved it.

23 hours ago, the1hatman said:

I'd love to make that show as I've never been to Vancouver. But I can only do 1 non-family trip a year and have already booked Portland.

Please post lots of pics though!

(remembers who I'm replying to)... OF THE CONVENTION!!

(close call there)

Here's a picture... OF THE CONVENTION!

Anvil Centre - Notice Me Senpai.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2023 at 2:24 AM, cmart604 said:

it's a small one day show

As speaking from experience of having hosted a small retro gaming expo for more than 15 years, usually one day is all you can handle. We used to do 1.5 days in the beginning but the second half day was almost as vacant as the desert. Some of the other Swedish events which have aimed more for volume have tried 1.5 - 2 days but I hear usually it is not worth it, both from a vendor perspective and for the arrangers. Now I know PRGE is a completely different game and they surely have content and visitors enough to fill multiple days, but for any smaller event with an attendance of 600-1000 people, one day is well enough, in particular if you expand the opening hours to something like 10 AM - 6 PM or more.

Edited by carlsson

On 6/14/2023 at 11:26 PM, BigDumer said:

As usual, I will try to get there about an hour early to line up. Maybe we can get together for lunch. I don't plan to attend any of the talks that are scheduled so my schedule is totally open after the first couple hours of spending.

I think I'm going to go for a couple hours maybe. Could you please set aside any sleeved FC games please. Thanks in advance Chris. 😂 Also, CIRO ones as well. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

I think I'm going to go for a couple hours maybe. Could you please set aside any sleeved FC games please. Thanks in advance Chris. 😂 Also, CIRO ones as well. 

There are more CIRO Investment games out there, I believe it!

• Like 1