IGNORED

Being amezed that the nes won the 3th gen console wars

I still found it amezing why the nes was so successful of the following reasons,

1,the nes was not the first 3th gen console,the sega SG1000 did come along aside with it,
2,there were other competitors with their own 3th gen game consoles like the atari 7800 and the sega mastersystem etc,,,
3,while supermariobros were also responsible for the success of the nes,BUT supermariobros was not the first side scrolling platformer,that belongs to pac land and zelda was not the first rpg adventure game,that belongs to hydlide,
4,also both sega & atari did eventually had their own mascots with their own platform games for their systems such as alex kidd and scrappyard dog etc,,,
5,the nes was not the first console to be called an entertainment system,that may belongs to the atari 5200,
6,the nes was not the first console with a frontloading zif systems,that belongs to the astrocadia game console and there was also the channel f console with a frontloading system albeit non zif system,
7,the nes was not the most advanced system,atleast not all the way because the intelevision had a 16bit cpu while both the atari 2600 and the 5200 had a 128 colorpallet,
8,many nintendo games were also on other systems like the atari 2600 and 5200,the colecovision and even on the 3th gen atari 7800 among other systems etc,,,
9,the nes was not per se alway’s cheaper then it’s competitors,some competitors did sold their console for a much lower prince,
10,the nes was not compatible with other games while both the sega mark 3 and the atari 7800 were compatible with their previous generation games,
11,the nes was not the first system with a D pad and the D pad wasn’t even invented by nintendo itself,that belongs to the tiger electronic’s playmaker handheld,
12,the nes was not the first console to resamble another electronic device,a device such as the vcr deck,no,that belongs to the astrocadia wich more resambles a frontloading cassette tape player.
13,while sega and atari had created their own sports games for their 8bit systems such as soccor,f1 racing and tennis etc,,, but so did nintendo for their nes as well.
14,the nes is not the first console to use mappers or expansion addons,the atari 2600 used mappers along with extra ram to expand the capabilities of their system and there was also the super charger addon for it.
15,the nes is not the first system with a lockout system,that belongs to the atari 7800 because that system was sneakingly already released in late 1984 but fully rereleased in 1986.
16,,while mario was all the rage and so nintendo did advertised the nes system alot with mario as the fore front character but so did atari too with posters or they put screen shots of mario games on the pakage of their game consoles,
17,the nes was not the only console with a lightgun with games such as duck hunt,because atari did it too atari 7800 with games such as bug hunt and they had also qwak in the arcades back in 1976 and sega came up with their lightgun among it’s games for it as well so you may wonder if duckhunt was really something original from nintendo or something inspirated from atari’s qwak? Some goes for nintendo’s excitebike,was that game not also sneakingly inspirated from atari’s stunt cycle from 1976?
18.there were also many game consoles released in japan before,alongside or a few month’s released after the japanese nes such as the atari 2600,the cassette vision  & super cassette vision etc,,,
Same in the us,so it was not that the famicom or nes was the only choice.
19,the us nes might be the first with composite out but the french super cassette vision had rgb out for french territory,
etc,,,

And these are the reasons why i am sooo amezed that the famicom/nes became a huge success,

Sure the nes might come with a robot called ROB the robot to trick retailers and consumers that the nes is just more then an entertainment system along with a special toy for it,But that robot eventually became obsolete after other games took over.
Also sega did had already an idea about a robot back in 1982 were you could play games on it but it was cancled,

But putting it in such perspective,it became sometimes hard to imagine why the nes did became such a huge success.

sure it’s normal that game companies such as nintendo also have to take inspirations from other game companies,BUT the saddest part is ,what other game companies did become forgotten over the years,as a result,most people will think that most early nintendo games become fully original ideas from nintendo itself and most people will only remember the nes and think that it was an fully original idea from nintendo,BUT once you will dive deeper into the history of videogames before 1985 and 1983, you will know otherwise,

does this mean that i am no longer love nintendo? WRONG, i will alway’s love and remember nintendo for what they were,BUT i can’t denie that since i discovered that for instance nintendo games were also on other systems such as atari game consoles,i will look with a different glass at the history of gaming,

127E275E-5C12-40AE-8685-9390F3991DF1.thumb.jpeg.7467b6ab9ac81e600d99a4870cd3e049.jpeg

77045EE2-0087-4A5C-9461-869CA02B7C89.jpeg

0C33D99C-74F5-4FDF-AB04-10F069722D3C.jpeg

57DB68A5-3EAF-4E7D-B881-ADFEED9D8EC7.jpeg

71A9C4CF-3684-42F4-9064-9FF886D68A5C.jpeg

7F64EF8E-DA87-4E99-8636-3F6F5B6E21C0.jpeg

2739249D-4783-4586-8892-4D37CD4C3261.jpeg

32AEF818-F51F-4D93-BB65-91612C9BB1D4.jpeg

09F9341F-37AA-40B6-ACE7-721D28AC8115.jpeg

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Haha 2

Can we get a few more emoji added?  I'm suggesting: Angry face, eye roll, and middle finger.

I get people have a right to their opinion, but at some point...some point it just needs to be shut down when it becomes a nuisance to the community.

I can't figure out if this account is run by a simpleton, a fire starting troll, or someone this truly clueless who has never attempted a few basic google searches that would give the answer.  Instead we get this post diarrhea instead that spits in the face of decades long known knowns.  There was utterly *NOTHING* to be amazed about why the Famicom and the NES managed to pull through win the wins they did in both major regions and for years.  It's like school book/encyclopedia hard fact why it was that case, not even up to debate in much of it beyond anyone can do a little healthy debate with historical data/fact.

As much as it could be interesting to pick this post apart, the questions should be...

Why bother?

Will he ever learn?

Is this just trolling?  Attention seeking?  The effects of some medication imbalance?

Would it just be a self defeating perpetual cycle of repeats making the attempt?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So, I have a theory that might explain all of this.

As you can see, the poster clearly emphazises that something done first should be an automatic indicator for success. It could be that in his home planet, that is how it works. Any new invention is a marker for instant favourable outcome that cannot be duplicated by refining the original iteration. It is no wonder then, how one might be puzzled when this process will not yield a corresponding result on Earth. 

Now, with this concept in mind, think of the worldbending situations the poster has already gone through before arriving here:

1) It's a miracle that the Lego exists when kids have been using wooden blocks for centuries

2) It's a wonder Beethoven was so popular when Caveman Clarence already made music with his enemies skulls. 

2) It's amdezing that the humans did come when Andy Amphibian walked Land 100000000 millions years ago,,, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pretending To Care Season 6 GIF by The Office

5 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

1,the nes was not the first 3th gen console,the sega SG1000 did come along aside with it,

So the NES really was the first 3th gen console then, since the SEGA SG1000 was released the same day but was very similar to the ColecoVision from the 2nd generation. Once again, you're answering your own question.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The SG-1000 was originally supposed to compete against the Famicom and was underpowered being like a Colecovision.

The Sega Master System was technically superior but didn't have the games when it came to the American market. I know that anti-competitive practices from Nintendo had something to do with this. Nintendo got there first after the crash and made the rules.

Atari 7800 had shitty sound, low resolution graphics, shitty controllers, and few decent games compared to the NES or even SMS. At least there's Atari 2600 backwards compatibility.

Being first doesn't always mean best. Hydlide compared to Zelda is lol. Why even bring up stuff like the Atari 5200 unless you're just trying to cram as much into a shitty post as possible.

Edited by mbd39
  • Thanks 4

I been out for awhile, was curious where this would go.

Thankfully it appears most people decided not to sit at the table of this latest game of 4D chess.

Now if this could be improved to tri-dimensional chess or better yet strategema, all we need is to get Mr Data in here to play to a stalemate which will frustrate and cause his mind to just implode.  We have an out.

star-trek-data.gif

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Can we get a few more emoji added?  I'm suggesting: Angry face, eye roll, and middle finger.

I get people have a right to their opinion, but at some point...some point it just needs to be shut down when it becomes a nuisance to the community.

I can't figure out if this account is run by a simpleton, a fire starting troll, or someone this truly clueless who has never attempted a few basic google searches that would give the answer.  Instead we get this post diarrhea instead that spits in the face of decades long known knowns.  There was utterly *NOTHING* to be amazed about why the Famicom and the NES managed to pull through win the wins they did in both major regions and for years.  It's like school book/encyclopedia hard fact why it was that case, not even up to debate in much of it beyond anyone can do a little healthy debate with historical data/fact.

As much as it could be interesting to pick this post apart, the questions should be...

Why bother?

Will he ever learn?

Is this just trolling?  Attention seeking?  The effects of some medication imbalance?

Would it just be a self defeating perpetual cycle of repeats making the attempt?

Look bud,if there was never any nintendo game on any atari systems among others,if nintendo never made a deal with hudson soft to make mariobros games,a supermariobros special and donkeykong 3 special for the pc88,and if nintendo never took inspiration from pac land then i would,ve be never amezed about the success of the nes,and since nintendo allowed supermariobros special to be made by hudson soft to be on a pc88,you might wonder why nintendo banned The great giana sisters for the C64 from stores because of it’s similarities with supermariobros,as if that game would,ve treaten the sales of supermariobros,with that said you might wonder how many donkeykong clones such as monkeykong,dinky king etc,,, did slipped under nintendo’s radar,these are in my opinion remarkible things i just didn’t knew about it for decades,am sorry but i just can’t help that i think differently now unlike back in the day when i believed just everything in the media sooo bad.

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Pretending To Care Season 6 GIF by The Office

So the NES really was the first 3th gen console then, since the SEGA SG1000 was released the same day but was very similar to the ColecoVision from the 2nd generation. Once again, you're answering your own question.

Well hardwarewise,the 2nd & 3th generation hardware systems weren’t too far apart from each other,but the difference between the 1th gen and 3th gen systems were huuuge,but also the step from the 3th & 4th gen systems (from 8 to 16bit) were just huuuuge and so on.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

It's Amezing you can win a console war after all the other console makers self-destructed,  but how???

You know when it is amezing when you win a console war???

by coming with a bad console along with bad games but keep promoting your products etc,, while your competitors with good games along with a great console etc,,, will refuse to produce more of their consoles and games and become lazy with commercials for it,

a somewhat funny example is how the demand for the nes classic mini became sooo high that everybody wanted it BUT nintendo refused to produce more then 4 million units of it,it was a missed oppertunity from nintendo to feed let’s say another 4 million costumers with a nes classic mini,,or so we tout because after sooo much pressure & force nintendo did eventually produced more nes classic mini consoles,BUT it shows that even a good company could self destruct their own business if they want to and don’t care anymore😟

5 hours ago, Wayler said:

So, I have a theory that might explain all of this.

As you can see, the poster clearly emphazises that something done first should be an automatic indicator for success. It could be that in his home planet, that is how it works. Any new invention is a marker for instant favourable outcome that cannot be duplicated by refining the original iteration. It is no wonder then, how one might be puzzled when this process will not yield a corresponding result on Earth. 

Now, with this concept in mind, think of the worldbending situations the poster has already gone through before arriving here:

1) It's a miracle that the Lego exists when kids have been using wooden blocks for centuries

2) It's a wonder Beethoven was so popular when Caveman Clarence already made music with his enemies skulls. 

2) It's amdezing that the humans did come when Andy Amphibian walked Land 100000000 millions years ago,,, 

Well with that mind set,it’s amezing that there’re sooo many religions in the world ment for peace and stability but instead we fight with each other for claiming having the right religion,and all those religious people do believe that the almighty creator (GOD) have created the earth with the intention for stability & peace,BUT instead we people are fighting with each other for power,religion and money on this (what was once a clean) earth,this earth has become dirty because of all the shit that happened over millions of years,well imagine that, is that not a wonder?

well i guess it’s part of human nature but still,,,

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The SG-1000 was originally supposed to compete against the Famicom and was underpowered being like a Colecovision.

The Sega Master System was technically superior but didn't have the games when it came to the American market. I know that anti-competitive practices from Nintendo had something to do with this. Nintendo got there first after the crash and made the rules.

Atari 7800 had shitty sound, low resolution graphics, shitty controllers, and few decent games compared to the NES or even SMS. At least there's Atari 2600 backwards compatibility.

Being first doesn't always mean best. Hydlide compared to Zelda is lol. Why even bring up stuff like the Atari 5200 unless you're just trying to cram as much into a shitty post as possible.

Well i think that atari was too lazy and i don’t think tat sega did responded any much better but i still think that there was huge potential in those atari & sega 8bit systems,but we should also blame nintendo for playing such valse unfair monopoly game by signing a 2 year contract to game developers to only make games for their nes system but also intimidate retailers to NOT take any competitors game consoles into store shelfes sothat nintendo would otherwise refuse to distribute their nes consoles to those retailers,imagine of all games did came out on all 3 systems,then i guess that both of them could,ve sold over 20 million units (rather then 61 million for the nes alone)

sure the atari soundchip was shit BUT with a costum software mixing chip and audio tricks you could stream some decent 4bit pcm sound trough that audio chip😁 you also could use those ext passtrough audio pins by adding an extra soundchip onto the cartride like some games such as ball blazer did,so there was huge potential in both flopped systems😟

3 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Look bud,if there was never any nintendo game on any atari systems among others,if nintendo never made a deal with hudson soft to make mariobros games,a supermariobros special and donkeykong 3 special for the pc88,and if nintendo never took inspiration from pac land then i would,ve be never amezed about the success of the nes,and since nintendo allowed supermariobros special to be made by hudson soft to be on a pc88,you might wonder why nintendo banned The great giana sisters for the C64 from stores because of it’s similarities with supermariobros,as if that game would,ve treaten the sales of supermariobros,with that said you might wonder how many donkeykong clones such as monkeykong,dinky king etc,,, did slipped under nintendo’s radar,these are in my opinion remarkible things i just didn’t knew about it for decades,am sorry but i just can’t help that i think differently now unlike back in the day when i believed just everything in the media sooo bad.

It hurts just reading that.  Seriously, periods help.  You're either a certified genius that needs to be at mensa, or you need to be cleaning the floors at mensa....which is it??

1 - Nintendo games exist on Atari because Nintendo hadn't considered a system at that rate outside Japan

2 - Hudson got a special deal part of their partnership, rare but it happened (like cdi Mario/Zelda)

3 - Nintendo and pac-land is a known stretch of speculation

4 - If that's what makes you A M A Z E D (amazed) then you need to re-think the concept

5 - Giana sisters got nailed because it utterly stole way too much for comfort, courts agreed to.

Nothing slipped under Nintendo's radar in the 80s 90s or ever since.  They'll either attack or not if they are pretty sure they can win a case.

Let's make something clear here.  If you want amazement where you will not be openly mocked on here or elsewhere with the Famicom/NES being some shocking amazing survival story there's one great angle you can work with.

Nintendo decided with the Famicom(NES) to go with cheap off the rack parts to make a system on a budget that worked, as any developer at the time largely did in many cases (Vectrex would be an exception.)  But here's the amazing part, unlike Atari, Intellivision, Vectrex, and even the closely more similar Colecovision Nintendo  did one grand thing different.  They left their system open.  The others are closed outside of an external device to boost it (coleco expansion modules.)  They knew they built a cheap system that would for their short gains would last what they thought would be just a few years at most in 1983(Famicom.)  But they left it open, open to do more because it is open to allowing more to be injected into it without using added special modules and other pieces of hardware.  Nintendo went with the memory management controller, simpel stuff at first like NROM and CNROM which added bankswitching, a little more memory to use, not much, but over what the Famicom could do.  The Famicom could not address or do more than Super Mario Bros could handle, that's it, limited by the system ability and allowed storage to be addressed on a stock cart.  After that it got heavy and heavier MMC1-5, Sunsoft, Namco, the big Konami mappers. Each of them adding more memory, larger program and character ROM, save capabilities, better pixel detail, potentially more colors to use, and added sound channels and in one case FM sound of a chip variant the Genesis/MD used.

That's what you need to be amazed by, not some dumb junk about some poorly short sighted hardware was only capable of others did, or because Nintendo before they cared to make a dedicated console licensed out a few key arcade games to make money.  That's chicken feed, garbage... the expandability is why the NES/FC should amaze you because it took a limit of Super Mario Bros, and stateside in the end gave you Kirby's Adventure and Castlevania III.  That didn't happen on Master System or the others before it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

I still found it amezing why the nes was so successful of the following reasons,

5,the nes was not the first console to be called an entertainment system,that may belongs to the atari 5200,
6,the nes was not the first console with a frontloading zif systems,that belongs to the astrocadia game console and there was also the channel f console with a frontloading system albeit non zif system,

12,the nes was not the first console to resamble another electronic device,a device such as the vcr deck,no,that belongs to the astrocadia wich more resambles a frontloading cassette tape player.

I dont see how any of these would be reasons for success/failure. No one cares if something is called an entertainment system, front-loading zip/(non) isnt a selling point, resembling other electronic devices only has minor help with familiarity of use (ie tape decks to record/play program).

• Like 3

Nothing amazing about it, Nintendo struck while the iron was hot, the US hadn't seen a console of the NES's kind around  (the Colecovision for it's time was an amazing machine, but that was for it's time, not 1985 in the US), and no previous console in the US had a game the caliber of Super Mario Bros, with it's side scrolling worlds, and grand adventure. Nothing of Zelda 1's caliber either, and you mention Hydlide, a game from 1983, that was released on the NES in.....1989 OF ALL TIMES (I am one soul unfortunate in owning a copy, it was given free by a friend who got my copy of Super C stolen, I got the short end of the stick with this and Ghosts N Goblins)! Mario 3 cemented the NES's library, selling an absolute boatload of copies, and looking fantastic.

In Japan, Konami busted their butts on the Famicom, they even released a game that some swore sounded like a 16 bit Genesis game, La Grange Point. It however was an 8 bit game but ran with the Konami VRC7 chip inside. The game looks absolutely nice, sounds even better.

All in all, Nintendo got to the market at the perfect time, folks were not going to take risks with another Atari console, and Sega got to the party here a little late. Nintendo did some shady things sure, but that is what made them successful. They went for the jugular, and got the 3rd party support they needed to succeed. They also sold a ton of software, the console had games people fell in love with, and plenty of them. You do what you got to do if you want to make money, the 7800 and SMS stood no chance.

Your mention of Great Giana Sisters is a laughable one, the game literally was a near copy of SMB 1. So a game that was basically a steal job of SMB 1 would've outsold SMB 1? No, it was rightfully removed from shelves, as blatant a rip job as that game was.

Edited by Bloodreign
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It hurts just reading that.  Seriously, periods help.  You're either a certified genius that needs to be at mensa, or you need to be cleaning the floors at mensa....which is it??

1 - Nintendo games exist on Atari because Nintendo hadn't considered a system at that rate outside Japan

2 - Hudson got a special deal part of their partnership, rare but it happened (like cdi Mario/Zelda)

3 - Nintendo and pac-land is a known stretch of speculation

4 - If that's what makes you A M A Z E D (amazed) then you need to re-think the concept

5 - Giana sisters got nailed because it utterly stole way too much for comfort, courts agreed to.

Nothing slipped under Nintendo's radar in the 80s 90s or ever since.  They'll either attack or not if they are pretty sure they can win a case.

Let's make something clear here.  If you want amazement where you will not be openly mocked on here or elsewhere with the Famicom/NES being some shocking amazing survival story there's one great angle you can work with.

Nintendo decided with the Famicom(NES) to go with cheap off the rack parts to make a system on a budget that worked, as any developer at the time largely did in many cases (Vectrex would be an exception.)  But here's the amazing part, unlike Atari, Intellivision, Vectrex, and even the closely more similar Colecovision Nintendo  did one grand thing different.  They left their system open.  The others are closed outside of an external device to boost it (coleco expansion modules.)  They knew they built a cheap system that would for their short gains would last what they thought would be just a few years at most in 1983(Famicom.)  But they left it open, open to do more because it is open to allowing more to be injected into it without using added special modules and other pieces of hardware.  Nintendo went with the memory management controller, simpel stuff at first like NROM and CNROM which added bankswitching, a little more memory to use, not much, but over what the Famicom could do.  The Famicom could not address or do more than Super Mario Bros could handle, that's it, limited by the system ability and allowed storage to be addressed on a stock cart.  After that it got heavy and heavier MMC1-5, Sunsoft, Namco, the big Konami mappers. Each of them adding more memory, larger program and character ROM, save capabilities, better pixel detail, potentially more colors to use, and added sound channels and in one case FM sound of a chip variant the Genesis/MD used.

That's what you need to be amazed by, not some dumb junk about some poorly short sighted hardware was only capable of others did, or because Nintendo before they cared to make a dedicated console licensed out a few key arcade games to make money.  That's chicken feed, garbage... the expandability is why the NES/FC should amaze you because it took a limit of Super Mario Bros, and stateside in the end gave you Kirby's Adventure and Castlevania III.  That didn't happen on Master System or the others before it.

Well i was and i am amzed what game developers as well what nintendo could pull off with those mmc series of chips,including konami’s vrc6 & 7 chips,back in 2003 and 2007 once i readed about those chips,i was really blown away,especially once i heard and saw the differences between both jap and us versions of castlevania 3,as well as being amezed about those fds disk versions of games having better audio such as castlevania 2 and zelda 1 & 2,i was shocked that we missed many of those extra’s what those japs did had,and yes i do own many many of those japanese versions of games,note i was alway’s a huge huge nintendo fan and i alway’s believed that they were the first, the best and eventually the last to stand some day,

back then i alway’s believed that only nintendo did knew how to deal with hardware limitations and overthrown it’s competitors with their more advanced hardware systems away and won,for example let’s say the nes vs the master system with their kirby’s advanture game or the snes vs the atari jaguar and sega saturn with their donkeykong country & killer instinct game, 

and so did i also believed back then that nintendo could just beat with their primitive gameboy their competitors by using all graphical tricks to show better graphics then it’s competitors with their more advanced systems with games such as supermarioland 2 or donkeykong land,but now i know theres off course waaay more to it then only good graphics and good games.

yes i did knew about the atari 2600,yes i did knew about the sega master system,but i absolutely did never knew about the atari 7800 let alone those previous gen systems like the colecovision,intelevision and the atarib5200 and i also never knew that nintendo allowed their games to be on those systems including other ones because i alway’s tout that they were alway’s strict about their ip’s to be only on their system

BUT once i readed that nintendo games were also on other systems including those mentioned systems before and after (!) the release of their famicom, i was really really mind blown away and the more i dig into the history before the famicom the more i got mind blown away,

for decades i only did know about those supermariobros games but i hardly did knew anything about mariobros,popeye etc,,,

sure i may have lived under a rock i may was too young or it was the media in holland wich kept those things secret to be away from us or it was a combination of those things,

i remember those nintendo commercials from the nes back in 1991,and so i wanted a nes soooo bad,but am sure that if there were commercials about the atari 7800 and the sega mastersystem, i probably may have wanted one of those systems as well,i do vaguebly remember the atari 2600/7800??? When we were playing games on it by a causin of us i was playing a boxing game and i found it just sooo cool i was like woooow,but however we eventually got our nes in november of 1991 and in 1992 i learned about the sega genesis and the snes and so i wanted one of those systems sooo bad,in 1993 i learned about the master system by another causin of us and i played alex kidd and  we also rented games such as mj moon walker,fantansy star and action fighter etc,,, but oh man what were those games unfriendly hard to me,

well those were AWESOME exciting day’s and i absolutely do miss myself as a 9 year and 11 year old boy,when there was no internet and when we didn’t know any better and we were just sooo much more happy ,but i guess the internet just flipped all of our minds 🤣🤣😭

Well hardwarewise,the 2nd & 3th generation hardware systems weren’t too far apart from each other,but the difference between the 1th gen and 3th gen systems were huuuge,but also the step from the 3th & 4th gen systems (from 8 to 16bit) were just huuuuge and so on.

or it only appears that way because the line dividing the 2nd and 3rd generation is drawn in the wrong place.    If you compare a TRUE 2nd gen system (circa 1976-78) to a 3rd gen system, the difference is massive.

• Like 3

The whole generational thing on most levels is a stupid dumpster fire.  The only time you could with fair confidence setup periods that made sense would be like the NES/Famicom/SMS era, then the TG/SNES/GEN era, and then the N64/PS/SAT and so on until you hit the point the Wii dropped.  Nintendo did their own thing so they aren't part really of any generation anymore, they're in the weeds, and mobile table/phone/android things blurred stuff just as bad.  Time line sure, but hardware you can't put a Switch in a PS4 let alone 5 generation they're too dissimilar.

Comparing like hardware/ability of various times probably works best which is why the 2nd and 3rd gen sucks clustering very piss poor compared hardware to others that just weren't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

The whole generational thing on most levels is a stupid dumpster fire.  The only time you could with fair confidence setup periods that made sense would be like the NES/Famicom/SMS era, then the TG/SNES/GEN era, and then the N64/PS/SAT and so on until you hit the point the Wii dropped.  Nintendo did their own thing so they aren't part really of any generation anymore, they're in the weeds, and mobile table/phone/android things blurred stuff just as bad.  Time line sure, but hardware you can't put a Switch in a PS4 let alone 5 generation they're too dissimilar.

Comparing like hardware/ability of various times probably works best which is why the 2nd and 3rd gen sucks clustering very piss poor compared hardware to others that just weren't.

I think the generation idea works because each console manufacturer releases new hardware every 5-7 years that provide a significant jump in features.    And many times they come out within a year of each other so they have similar levels of tech.    Of course there are some consoles that release in-between and have features that sit in-between the previous gen and the upcoming gen create fuzzy generation borders  (Intellivision and Jaguar for instance)

At some point Nintendo decided to do their own thing instead of chasing the highest specs possible like Sony + Microsoft do,  so their hardware no longer lines up very well with Playstation and Xbox.   However within the Nintendo space there are still generations..   Switch is a newer generation than Wii U which was a newer generation than Wii, etc.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Since I made the mistake of adding a GIF featuring a political figure even though it wasn't political at all, my previous reply has to be approved so I'll post it again:

This is debatable. Except for the Intellivision, no 2nd generation system had hardware scrolling, which was a huuuuge (two can play that game 😉) thing at the time for video games. Most NES classics have it.

Edited by roots.genoa