IGNORED

Arcade Archives Question

AAA177

I'm thinking of buying a Switch this week (my refund is in) because I am very interested in the Arcade Archives stuff (Swimmer, Kangaroo, that kind of stuff). 

I'm sort-of still up in the air though - after all, there's always the opportunity cost of instead buying Berkshire Hathaway stock and that sort of thing. No matter what, though, I would like to keep the cost down as much as I can. 

For those who have a Switch and some of the Archives games, can I get away without buying a memory card? From what I have read, the resident memory of the Switch is 25 gb. Am I correct that this will be enough storage for a bunch of these old arcade titles...how big can they be, anyway? 

Also, can I eschew for now getting what I think is termed a pro controller? I guess the one that is pretty much the only one worth it is around $70/$80, and for now, I'm wondering if I can get by with the included controllers. Thank you...(if the Archives were on Steam,  I probably wouldn't be asking...surprised they are not)...

Edited by AAA177

3 hours ago, AAA177 said:

For those who have a Switch and some of the Archives games, can I get away without buying a memory card? From what I have read, the resident memory of the Switch is 25 gb. Am I correct that this will be enough storage for a bunch of these old arcade titles...how big can they be, anyway? 

The Switch has 32GB (64GB for the OLED model) of internal memory, but a good chunk of that is used by the OS, so you're left with 25-30GB indeed. But Arcade Archives games are very small; all the ones I have are around 70MB, so you don't need an SD card for now.

Also, can I eschew for now getting what I think is termed a pro controller? I guess the one that is pretty much the only one worth it is around $70/$80, and for now, I'm wondering if I can get by with the included controllers.

That's more difficult to answer because that depends on you a lot. Personally I almost only play in handheld mode, so I mostly use the original controls (but I own a pro controller, which I bought when I had to have my Joy-cons fixed soon after buying my Switch - you won't have that problem, this one has been fixed for a while). There is no real d-pad but the directional buttons are fine imho, but I know a lot of people disagree. Of course it can depend on the fact the game you play is using diagonals or not. For now I would advise against buying one and just try to play with the Joy-cons, and you'll see if it works for you or not. Simple as that™️!

if the Archives were on Steam,  I probably wouldn't be asking...surprised they are not

They're developed and published by a Japanese corporation, Hamster, so they only release their games on PS4 and Switch, even though the NeoGeo games were also released on Xbox and mobiles.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Based on both posts, I will not be getting either item for now and save some cash. Really appreciate the help and the great info (and that's too bad that Hamster decided to not go the Steam route, perhaps would have generated some decent revenue)...

The pro controller unless it grosses you out sells second hand for like 1/2 off, and the powerA and hori controllers are quality, far cheaper, both wired and wireless.  The stock setup with the joycon holder works, just less ideal for some if you want a d-pad for like old console games as the stick works just fine.

AA games aren't that big, you could fit quite a few.  And if you get the OLED if you're avoiding the LITE model, it has 64GB of space not 32 so you have plenty of room to work with.  I'd pop for the OLED the difference is quite large on screen quality, better speakers, the frame is far more durable from its own heat and general use, solid stand in the rear that isn't super thin and flimsy, the list goes on.

• Like 1

I bought a controller from 'DOKYOKY' on Amazon a couple of months ago and have been really happy with it.  Folks that know me know I'm hard on controllers and have used my share of Pro ones. :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094FVKKJC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Edited by digdugnate