IGNORED

Announcing Towers II Enhanced Stargazer Edition

Songbird

10 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Towers and Towers II pretty much the same game?  I know the movement in Towers is tile based, while Towers II is free roaming.  There is also the graphics and music upgrade as well for Towers II.  It seems like the story, characters and goal of both games is exactly the same. 

I didn't think so?  It's been ages since I tried to get it to work with a null modem between a 1040ST (1mb of ram) and my Mega STe (4mb of ram).  It would complain that it didn't have enough ram on the 1040ST.  I should try and fix that 1040ST...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Towers and Towers II pretty much the same game?  I know the movement in Towers is tile based, while Towers II is free roaming.  There is also the graphics and music upgrade as well for Towers II.  It seems like the story, characters and goal of both games is exactly the same. 

Towers I and Towers II were similar that they are both RPGs, but the stories, enemies, puzzles and maps differ greatly between the two.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leech said:

I didn't think so?  It's been ages since I tried to get it to work with a null modem between a 1040ST (1mb of ram) and my Mega STe (4mb of ram).  It would complain that it didn't have enough ram on the 1040ST.  I should try and fix that 1040ST...

You should only need 1mb of RAM for Towers I.  Here is an excerpt from Towers I v1.5 text file.

Towers requires a minimum of 864340 bytes of FREE memory left on your
system to run in a one player mode.  If you have 930360 bytes free, you
can also access a two player mode via Null-Modem, Midi cables, and with
a Hayes AT command set compatible, 14.4k Error Correction Modem or
better, you can play over the phone.  

If you have a one megabyte Atari system, you can run the Two
Player mode as well.  Just make sure the the AUTO folder with
TOW_STRT.PRG is on Towers Disk One and boot that disk, This should
leave you with enough memory to play the two player mode.

8 minutes ago, madman said:

#5 is alive! This is, as usual, top notch production from Songbird. The manual is a thing of beauty, I won't spoil the surprise on that.

Towers II.jpeg

I was so slow with this one, but still "first run" are coming to Finland someday..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madman said:

#5 is alive! This is, as usual, top notch production from Songbird. The manual is a thing of beauty, I won't spoil the surprise on that.

Wow, how did you guys get in there so quickly?  I set an alarm on my phone and still came in at a lowly #12.

Anyway, this is a gorgeous package.  I can't wait to put my kids to bed so I can pour myself a nice adult beverage and dig in!

• Like 4

I spent a few hours with Towers II last night and really enjoyed it.  I don't know the original all that well as I've already played farther into the revision, but from what I've seen this new version is clearly more enjoyable.  Of course we all knew that this would be an improvement, as that's the whole point.  But it truly is a clear difference.  The lifebar above the enemies alone is a significant upgrade.  The new weapon visuals look really nice.  The voiceovers sounds great and add to the immersion.  Overall the game looks and runs quite a bit better, and that makes for a more fun experience.

I would love to see the two versions running side by side at a game convention or something, to make the field of view and framerate improvements easier to compare.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Saturn said:

Just got mine in. I think it says #19.

This is the only disappointing part of the release for me.  That silver marker is pretty horrible and makes it hard to make out the numbers/letters.  Not only that, my autographs are smeared and there is other residue from the marker on my postcard.  Not a huge deal, but they could have done better.

• Sad 2

After boasting of the lengths to which I’d go, I blanked on ordering until later that day. My tardiness earned me number 41. As I staggered home from Speakeasy Arcade, where I play pinball machines and cabinet games, I excitedly thought I received the Life, the Universe, and Everything game. Checked again and realized it wasn’t 42. Shoulda waited a few minutes!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Editorb said:

After boasting of the lengths to which I’d go, I blanked on ordering until later that day. My tardiness earned me number 41. As I staggered home from Speakeasy Arcade, where I play pinball machines and cabinet games, I excitedly thought I received the Life, the Universe, and Everything game. Checked again and realized it wasn’t 42. Shoulda waited a few minutes!

Oh!!! 42 would have been epic! I had the amazing opportunity to meet Douglas Adams in 1998 at E3 in Atlanta.  He was promoting the game "Starship Titanic" at the time.

• Like 3

Was playing last night! Killed my 1st guard with a mop to get the short sword 🗡️ then on to the bow and a quill of arrows. Forgot those weren't unlimited and ran out after shooting them all over the place.

Tried ye ol' cheat code for God mode from the original and it didn't work😳

What's the new code, Carl?!?

(All good, I'ma rough it)

• Haha 3