IGNORED

ABBUC software contest 2023

holgibo

Hello everyone,

you can find the result and some additional informations of the contest here:

https://abbuc.de/2023/10/ergebnis-abbuc-software-wettbewerb-2023-result-abbuc-software-contest-2023/

All participants will be contacted by us and will receive their prize money shortly.

8bit regards, Holger

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I would like to congratulate all the competition participants because they sacrificed an important part of their own lives to create such wonderful works.

I am glad our beloved Atari is still getting amazing software. I am proud to be part of such a wonderful community! :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Yes, congratulations to everyone who participated, I think this contest is really an important factor to keep our Atari alive even after more than 40 years!

However, I think I won't be participating with a tool/utility contribution again, as it becomes clear in the result that this is not what the community favors when all three entries in this category cover the last three places in the ranking. Some YouTube channels were also just reporting about the games submitted and not the tools/utilities. It's understandable in a way because showing how a tool works or what it is useful for is not an easy task, but the neglect was nevertheless somewhat demotivating. Just my observation, no need to change anything in the contest itself because the prize distribution system already prevents huge gaps, especially at the bottom of the list, so that's not an issue at all.

Thanks to all who made such great entries. For me everyone is a winner, who finished an entry. 

@freetz would be a pitty, if there where no tools, anymore. But it was a bad decision imho, when tools and games was put together in same contest.

@matosimi DotA, for me, should be rated higher. But there are many top entries this time.

I had voted more than once with a 10. I understand it like that: things that you most likely use/play many times again are getting 10 points, less points, when it won't be that often. 

Edited by pps
  • Like 4

Well, if I remember correctly, it was me who introduced the merging of games and tools in the same contest when I was heading the software department a couple of years ago ;). The reason behind it was that oftentimes there were not enough submissions of tools/utilities, sometimes just one or two, so the tools contest wouldn't even take place because of a minimum of three - which was even worse IMHO. Again, I have no hard feelings and this way at least it becomes clearer what the community wants and likes - I don't argue with that, in a way it helps me prioritize what projects I should spend the time I have for the Atari so that the community benefits most. Still, I enjoyed every minute coding WozMon because I really learned a lot from it :)...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, freetz said:

Well, if I remember correctly, it was me who introduced the merging of games and tools in the same contest when I was heading the software department a couple of years ago ;). The reason behind it was that oftentimes there were not enough submissions of tools/utilities, sometimes just one or two, so the tools contest wouldn't even take place because of a minimum of three... 

I totally understand this move, but sad enough, the tools always have nearly no chance competing to games.

Users tend to use tools on modern platforms more often now. The Atari gets more and more into a system, to play with. That's what it seems to be. 

11 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Time for more people to play new games :)
Here are two games from me. Hope you'll like them.

You can find both Inkspill and Double in attached zip file.

Till next time :)
Vladimir

Yes, best time of the year for A8 fans :).  Great job and thanks for these!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Love the DLI coloring and different speed parallax scrolling between top and bottom.

haha - if you look in detail, you can see 3 different blue-brighness of one color in one line...  ;-)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-30 um 13.52.11.png

Edited by PPR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, freetz said:

Well, if I remember correctly, it was me who introduced the merging of games and tools in the same contest when I was heading the software department a couple of years ago ;). The reason behind it was that oftentimes there were not enough submissions of tools/utilities, sometimes just one or two, so the tools contest wouldn't even take place because of a minimum of three - which was even worse IMHO. Again, I have no hard feelings and this way at least it becomes clearer what the community wants and likes - I don't argue with that, in a way it helps me prioritize what projects I should spend the time I have for the Atari so that the community benefits most. Still, I enjoyed every minute coding WozMon because I really learned a lot from it :)...

Hm, years ago, when you were leading the software department, I made this suggestion on a JHV, the memebrs voted for it, and after that we had two categories... but sadly in most competitions following there weren't enough entries in the tools sector for a contest, One year I had submitted two application programs, but I was the only one who made entries for it... and since a miminum of 3 contributions was required, it then did not take place at all for applications....

Shortly after this I got the software department job from you, freetz.

A few years ago the tools category was dropped again on decission of the members voting at the JHV. I don't think, there will be two categories again. Perhaps applications can be promoted differently by the ABBUC in the future. I will discuss this with the board of the ABBUC.

I am a big fan of applications and tools for the A8 , and I use my Atari still for productive working.

Both is correct :) - I took over the software department in 2017 (when there already were separate games and app categories) and you submitted an application in 2018 for which there were too few entries in that category. Because of this and also other restrictions, I proposed the merger of the games and application section and the removal of other conditions which was accepted at the JHV in 2018. In 2019, I handed over the job to you. At least that's what I found in my e-mails ;). Anyway, I think it's a good idea to think of other means how to promote tools and apps, but I can also accept it if these are no longer that relevant due to most people coding and "working" rather on their Mac/PC than on the Atari...

• Like 1