IGNORED

[Gone] Male end of 9 pin joystick extension cables

BigO

I have about a dozen male ends cut off of 9 pin joystick extensions with about 2-3 feet of cable.

Extension cables were from Console5. Quality is meh. Price is right.

Left over from a controller mod product I used to sell. Working toward someday walking into my walk-in closet again.

Hoping somebody just randomly happens to want these for the price of shipping.

1 week until they go to the landfill.

Edited by BigO
Typo
  • Like 2

...always depends on who you talk to.  Generally, within common/proper terminology, with regards to Atari 2600/7800/8-bit controllers & consoles, and their mating 9 conductor cables and connectors:

The end attached to the controller's cable is considered a male plug, which has installed internally, female sockets

The connection port on/at the console/computer is considered a female receptacle, which has installed internally, male pins

Though some call the ends male/female based on the electrical sockets & pins, not with regards to the male plug or female receptacle.  

• Like 1

The way I see it... Pins = Male. Ignore the shroud or locking mechanisms. For example, a common VGA cable has male connectors on both ends. That said, there's no "real" or "proper" standard, so you'll want to make sure all parties are speaking the same language.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 5-11under said:

That said, there's no "real" or "proper" standard,

I beg to differ.  There is a "proper" standard, but it is just that most people don't know it.

Just go to Digi-key and/or Mouser and do a search for d-sub male and d-sub female.

4 hours ago, 5-11under said:

so you'll want to make sure all parties are speaking the same language

I do agree with this.

6 hours ago, RickR said:

I am interested, but want to make sure I understand what "male end" means.  I assume you mean the end that would plug in to an Atari 2600 console?  Thanks.

That is the "female" end.

In this case:  The console is male and the cable is female

21 hours ago, BigO said:

I have about a dozen male ends cut off of 9 pin joystick extensions with about 2-3 feet of cable.

Extension cables were from Console5. Quality is meh. Price is right.

Left over from a controller mod product I used to sell. Working toward someday walking into my walki-n closet again

Hoping somebody just randomly happens to want these for the price of shipping.

1 week until they go to the landfill.

I am interested in these.

6 hours ago, 5-11under said:

The way I see it... Pins = Male. 

This is how I see it, too. Heavily influenced by telecom work where we always called the end with pins the male end.

I recall that part/end always had a "-M" (as opposed to-F) suffix so I think that's the correct naming.

Edited by BigO

8 hours ago, RickR said:

I am interested, but want to make sure I understand what "male end" means.  I assume you mean the end that would plug in to an Atari 2600 console?  Thanks.

No, these would be the same gender as the connection on the console.

• Like 1