IGNORED

Enduro ported

Very cool to play Enduro on 5200 just now. About 40 years after the 2600 version was released, where have the years gone.  In Altirra, it seemed near identical - the tires always look a bit different from the OG 2600 tires (to me), but the Pokey sound Fx sound the same (the icey road whoosh sounded a bit louder I noticed), and no Pause functionality was added.  Thanks to all involved. 

15 hours ago, Vin_the_2600_Man said:

Here is a port of Enduro from the 2600.
Thanks to glurk for the disassembly based on Omegamatrix's.
Also to phaeron for the sound routine.
Included are .xex, .car and a 5200 version.
NTSC and PAL supported.

-Vin the 2600 Man.

enduro.zip 14.51 kB · 28 downloads

Great news.

This is exactly why I check AtariAge regularly, hoping to find new gems like this 🙂 .

9 hours ago, adam242 said:

Enduro was already ported to the 8-bits, it's called The Great American Cross Country Road Race.

But seriously, thank you for this! Thanks to you, glurk, phaeron and others we are amassing quite a collection of 2600 ports.

Still hoping someone would take on Dark Cavern and/or Pressure Cooker...

No! The games have actually a lot in common but they have a rather different gameplay and goal. I love both games, but the more simple concept of Enduro has always been something that I missed a lot on a8.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

TGACCRR is the better Enduro I have to admit ;)

what about Robotank?

I agree. Though not an adventure game, the sense of competition/adventure I felt with Enduro was expanded upon beautifully with TGACCR  but I am glad we have both. Because sometimes I just want a quick race without file finding or load waiting. So for that reason, though I will download this to the collection I will probably stick with the cart version.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marius said:

No! The games have actually a lot in common but they have a rather different gameplay and goal. I love both games, but the more simple concept of Enduro has always been something that I missed a lot on a8.

I've always considered The Great American Cross-Country Road Race to be a sequel to Enduro. They have so much in common that it makes me wonder why they didn't just call it Enduro 2?

• Like 1

Kung Fu Master exist on 2600, so... Not bad version, anyway...

Return to Enduro - it was first game ever with variable weather conditions and I love it on my 2600jr ;) I will play on my 8-bit Atari too ;)

Edited by Sikor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sikor said:

Kung Fu Master exist on 2600, so... Not bad version, anyway...

Return to Enduro - it was first game ever with variable weather conditions and I love it on my 2600jr ;) I will play on my 8-bit Atari too ;)

Never heard of return to Enduro. I'm assuming it is a homebrew? 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, Vin_the_2600_Man said:

Here is a port of Enduro from the 2600.
Thanks to glurk for the disassembly based on Omegamatrix's.
Also to phaeron for the sound routine.
Included are .xex, .car and a 5200 version.
NTSC and PAL supported.

-Vin the 2600 Man.

enduro.zip 14.51 kB · 112 downloads

Great port ! Thanks Vin.

3 hours ago, Sikor said:

Return to Enduro - it was first game ever with variable weather conditions and I love it on my 2600jr

I could be a jerk and argue that Indy 500 had "user selectable" weather but it's all subjective.  I only mention it because to this day, racing games / simulations are my all time favourite.  Especially with VR and a really nice wheel & pedal setup.  The love affair started all the way back in 1978 for me, with the ice mode of Indy 500.  That's where I learned to drift.   I cannot believe how far we've come since then, it's been an amazing journey and I can't wait to see where it continues!

I absolutely loved GACCR - I always pretended I was playing Smokey and the Bandit :)  That's an idea for a great game.  Smuggle beer while evading the justice of Sheriff Buford :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

Never heard of return to Enduro. I'm assuming it is a homebrew? 

Ok, i'm not english native speaker, so maybe better sentence is: return to "Enduro" 😜 But, it will be good point to build new, enhanced version, but different then "The Great America Cross Country Road Race", where had some code from original "Enduro" game... So... "Return to Enduro" will be good concept for new game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Mr. Video said:

I've always considered The Great American Cross-Country Road Race to be a sequel to Enduro. They have so much in common that it makes me wonder why they didn't just call it Enduro 2?

because a short cutchy name was rejected by Marketing Dept.

14 hours ago, JagChris said:

Though that would be a cool name for a homebrew upgrade.

Part of the endearing qualities of Enduro is the simplicity and flow of the game. I wouldn't want to see it made any more complex. So some homebrew enhancements might be snow and rain particles, brake lights on your car, the ability to select different courses, the ability to take different routes within a course, hills, maybe a roadside attraction or two.

Mainly all of the above is graphical enhancement, as gameplay needs to remain intact.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Part of the endearing qualities of Enduro is the simplicity and flow of the game. I wouldn't want to see it made any more complex. So some homebrew enhancements might be snow and rain particles, brake lights on your car, the ability to select different courses, the ability to take different routes within a course, hills, maybe a roadside attraction or two.

Mainly all of the above is graphical enhancement, as gameplay needs to remain intact.

Ah see what you started @Sikor 😂

These are all Interesting ideas. Maybe someday...

• Haha 1