IGNORED

The F18a DIY alternative with HDMI :)

2 hours ago, retrocanada76 said:

nothing smaller eh ? 😅

Alright, well you asked for it.  Here is a much more interesting and much more compact, but drastically more abstruse example of TI BASIC music, of my own devising:

10 N$="JA>7A>74>7'!47"
20 GOSUB 100
30 END
40 GOSUB 70
50 I=A-64
60 RETURN
70 A=ASC(N$)
80 N$=SEG$(N$,2,LEN(N$)-1)
90 RETURN
100 GOSUB 40
110 FOR X=1 TO LEN(N$)
120 GOSUB 70
130 A=(A*A*A/14400+25)*4
140 FOR V=11 TO I+15 STEP 50/I
150 CALL SOUND(-425*I,A,V,A+2,V,A*3.81,30,-4,V-I)
160 NEXT V
170 NEXT X
180 RETURN

Using a few key techniques essential to exploitation of the SN76489/TMS9919.  Detuning, use of periodic noise for bass accompaniment, and an attenuation envelope (attack and decay) done in software. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, retrocanada76 said:

@Hans23 from where are you taking the audio ? I am getting from the MSX the audio that goes to the composite output.

I'm getting the audio from after the decoupling cap:

image.png.7f7318ebf55744a8d9d67628bc5df374.png

I'll need to check the level again - When injecting audio from a bench wavegen, it was fine and not disturbed.  I will report on progress.

13 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

thanks that will help

Alright, well you asked for it.  Here is a much more interesting and much more compact, but drastically more abstruse example of TI BASIC music, of my own devising:

10 N$="JA>7A>74>7'!47"
20 GOSUB 100
30 END
40 GOSUB 70
50 I=A-64
60 RETURN
70 A=ASC(N$)
80 N$=SEG$(N$,2,LEN(N$)-1)
90 RETURN
100 GOSUB 40
110 FOR X=1 TO LEN(N$)
120 GOSUB 70
130 A=(A*A*A/14400+25)*4
140 FOR V=11 TO I+15 STEP 50/I
150 CALL SOUND(-425*I,A,V,A+2,V,A*3.81,30,-4,V-I)
160 NEXT V
170 NEXT X
180 RETURN

Using a few key techniques essential to exploitation of the SN76489/TMS9919.  Detuning, use of periodic noise for bass accompaniment, and an attenuation envelope (attack and decay) done in software. 

Just wanted to show it running on an NTSC ColecoVison.   Still testing.  I had already modded it sometime ago for Composite and Audio so I just tapped into the audio.    I have the Tang board set to the 9928a.

Was having some issues with Donkey Kong crashing about 1/2 thru the first level on my Atarimax crt.  The original game ran just fine.   May have just been a setting in the Atarimax because it is running now. Still checking.  

I added a socket as a spacer to get the board above some of the parts on the motherboard.

It does seem the games run faster but that could just be me as I have not played the games in some time.

20230605_234812.jpg

20230605_213415.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, craftsman1234 said:

Just wanted to show it running on an NTSC ColecoVison.   Still testing.  I had already modded it sometime ago for Composite and Audio so I just tapped into the audio.    I have the Tang board set to the 9928a.

Was having some issues with Donkey Kong crashing about 1/2 thru the first level on my Atarimax crt.  The original game ran just fine.   May have just been a setting in the Atarimax because it is running now. Still checking.  

I added a socket as a spacer to get the board above some of the parts on the motherboard.

It does seem the games run faster but that could just be me as I have not played the games in some time.

20230605_234812.jpg

20230605_213415.jpg

Just a bit of a follow up.   It appears to have issues with both the original Donkey Kong so it is not a AtariMax cartridge issue.  Other games crash as well but alot work just fine.   I even pulled out the MB to make sure there were no issues since I had to desolder the original IC.   Tested the games with the original IC as well and no crashes.

The bug seems to show itself the most on the 4th platform normally when attempting to jump over a barrel as you approach the left side of  the screen.   But also occurs just entering that platform.  Not sure what is going on in with the video chip at this time.  If for some reason you make it past the 4th platform the next 2nf and 3d screens seem to run fine.

I attached photos of a crash just while walking on the 4th platform and most happen in this area while jumping (24k version)and issues on the 16k versions where the Kong graphics are messed up.   

20230608_163510.jpg

20230608_163943.jpg

1 hour ago, craftsman1234 said:

Just a bit of a follow up.   It appears to have issues with both the original Donkey Kong so it is not a AtariMax cartridge issue.  Other games crash as well but alot work just fine.   I even pulled out the MB to make sure there were no issues since I had to desolder the original IC.   Tested the games with the original IC as well and no crashes.

The bug seems to show itself the most on the 4th platform normally when attempting to jump over a barrel as you approach the left side of  the screen.   But also occurs just entering that platform.  Not sure what is going on in with the video chip at this time.  If for some reason you make it past the 4th platform the next 2nf and 3d screens seem to run fine.

I attached photos of a crash just while walking on the 4th platform and most happen in this area while jumping (24k version)and issues on the 16k versions where the Kong graphics are messed up.   

20230608_163510.jpg

20230608_163943.jpg

disable the maxspr jumper. we don't know if a game use the fact that the 5th sprite won't show to use it as a visibility feature.

21 hours ago, retrocanada76 said:

and you will need  mcp3202 dip 8 IC for audio. the rest it 3xLVC245, 3x .1uf caps, header pins and a 20 pin IDC cable. I advise to not make it too long.

I'm pretty sure I have all the parts. I just didn't want to update and order more pcb's until you posted a success story.😎

9 hours ago, retrocanada76 said:

disable the maxspr jumper. we don't know if a game use the fact that the 5th sprite won't show to use it as a visibility feature.

I've tried just about every jumper setting I could and nothing stopped the crashing.   The Maxspr setting may have helped with he double Kong image but does not stop the crashing on the 4th platform. 

Here is another weird crash when entering the 4th platform.   Most of a time it is a freeze or reset to where you select the player skill level.  

20230610_092359.jpg

On 6/11/2023 at 10:08 AM, retrocanada76 said:

so you need cpuclk jumper open, gromclk closed.

and yes the bitstream v2 will work with v1 boards but disconnect tthe vga module

OK so I tried the 9958 version with no VGA (just soldered on pins)  with the jumpers as stated above.  The Coleco powers up to the main boot screen but the image scrolls up and off the screen round and round...

You can select the skill level and the game D. Kong starts and freezes with the screen still scrolling.  

Rereading the DOCs there is something about an A1 address line.   Is this needed with the Coleco?