IGNORED

Homebrews

vrocko

So got my 7800 setup and have been collecting the original games that came out. Xevious, a must have for me, Asteroids, Dig Dug, Pole Position II, Centipede, and few others that I've got from eBay or Shopgoodwill.com. I want Impossible Mission, Galaga, Robotron and Rampage. I'd like to get some of the homebrews too like Scramble, another favorite of mine, and Beef Drop. Any other suggestions? I don't suppose anyone is doing Elevator Action, I see it was in the pike to be made when the 7800 originally came out but got cancelled. So many good games from that time period would be great to see on the 7800. Tell me what you think.      

• Like 1

I dearly love b*NQ, Ken Sider’s Q-Bert homebrew. And Armor Attack II and RipOff are lots of fun.

For OG games, the Joust and Ms Pac-Man ports are solid and inexpensive. Food Fight and Ballblazer are GREAT.  And not everyone agrees, but I really like Dark Chambers.

IMHO, all the fighting games and flight simulators are terrible, tho Super Huey has an arcade mode that is sort of ok. 

• Like 1

I recommend checking out http://www.atari7800forever.com/ .  That site has been maintained for a while and attempts to review the entire 7800 library.  Full disclosure I've contributed a little bit to that site but the main creator has dumped years into it. 

Outside of that for retail games I think Robotron is well worth it if you have two joystick style controllers or an after market controller or holder for robotron.  Then to maximize your purchase get Time Salvo which also uses those controllers / setups. 

Other homebrews I enjoy and recommend are Crazy Brix which is a really good Breakout style game, Pac Man collection is a great value for the money, and Knight Guy is a good looking and fun challenge.  

Enjoy getting to know the 7800. Emulation is your friend before spending money. One of us, one of us, one of us....

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 1:54 PM, Silver Back said:

I recommend checking out http://www.atari7800forever.com/ .  That site has been maintained for a while and attempts to review the entire 7800 library.  Full disclosure I've contributed a little bit to that site but the main creator has dumped years into it. 

Outside of that for retail games I think Robotron is well worth it if you have two joystick style controllers or an after market controller or holder for robotron.  Then to maximize your purchase get Time Salvo which also uses those controllers / setups. 

Other homebrews I enjoy and recommend are Crazy Brix which is a really good Breakout style game, Pac Man collection is a great value for the money, and Knight Guy is a good looking and fun challenge.  

Enjoy getting to know the 7800. Emulation is your friend before spending money. One of us, one of us, one of us....

I'll check it out. I just got Robotron off eBay. Will see it sometime this week. I like Breakout and will try that one too. So many games so little money.

LOL. Too funny! Love it! 

Edited by vrocko
Updating

On 5/3/2023 at 10:30 AM, vrocko said:

I want Impossible Mission, Galaga, Robotron and Rampage. 

Just in case you're not aware, the production release of Impossible Mission (NTSC) is impossible to complete due to a software bug.  The PAL version is fixed, and there's an NTSC fixed ROM known as "Possible Mission".

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest is fantastic. There are many talented homebrewers in the 7800 scene but anything by @PacManPlus is worth getting imo! 

You mention you've primarily been getting your games from eBay and ShopGoodwill. Don't sleep on the Marketplace section of the forums here and also the AtariAge Marketplace on Facebook. You'll often get better pricing that way and the transactions are more personable. Welcome to the 7800 scene!

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 1:38 PM, Propane13 said:

Just in case you're not aware, the production release of Impossible Mission (NTSC) is impossible to complete due to a software bug.  The PAL version is fixed, and there's an NTSC fixed ROM known as "Possible Mission".

Yeah I heard about that. I'd have to get the Game Drive version of the 7800 to play the fixed "Possible Mission." I had Impossible Mission back in day when the 7800 first came out but sold the whole lot. Now I'm back into it. 

If you are into shooters like Scramble I would recommend Astro Blaster and Astro Fighter if you like early 80s arcade style shooters or the newly released Dragon's Havoc if you are also into later 80s/90s style shooters with varied levels, bosses, etc.

I'd second the recommendation of checking out atari7800forever for good reviews.

Dark Chambers and Wizard's Dungeon are both fun if you like gauntlet style games. Of the 2 I probably like Dark Chambers a little more as it is easier to pick and play, but Wizard's Dungeon has more replay value from the randomized levels like Diablo.

I think some of the original releases really aren't worth playing now days, and it really takes a lot to make me say that as I'm the kind of guy that can spend hours playing Odyssey 2 or VCS games. The flight sims are pretty dang painful. They make NES Topgun look like its the Legend of Zelda or something...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 10:30 AM, vrocko said:

Any other suggestions? 

Currently in Stock:
-Attack of the PETSCII Robots - Fantastic Action/Strategy title with a superlative replay value.

-b*nQ (Q*bert) - Splendid port of an Arcade favorite.
-Baby Pac-Man - Wonderfully done Pinball/Arcade hybrid port of the Arcade original.

-Dragon's Cache - Well-executed Puzzle game in the vein of Columns.
-Dragon's Descent - Exciting Action/Labyrinth game, power-ups, surprises, and boss battles.
-Dragon's Havoc - Impressive and scenic strategic action shooter delight, containing bosses.
-Dungeon Stalker - Engaging Dark Cavern (2600)/Night Stalker (Intellivision) type game/sequel with speech via AtariVox.
-Frenzy (with Berzerk) - Fantastic ports of the arcade originals.
-Galaxian - Superb port of the Arcade classic.
-Keystone Koppers - Best execution/port of the classic Keystone Kapers game.
-Knight Guy in Low-Res World - Awesome flip-screen platform game with boss fights.
-Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition - Magnificent collection of (Ms.) Pac-Man (Plus) Arcade titles.
-Popeye - Amazing port of the classic Arcade game.
-Serpentine - Addictive Worm/Maze type game with a twist.
-Slide Boy in Maze Land - Fast-paced and fun Action/Puzzle title.
-T:ME Salvo - A super Robotron 2084/Crossfire update that keeps you on your toes.

When Back in Stock:

-Beef Drop (BurgerTime) - Very well done port of the Arcade classic.
-Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Awesome scrolling platformer with bosses, hidden level, level warps, and power-ups.
-Froggie (Frogger) - The original Arcade game ported excellently.

Out of Production (eBay or other avenues):

-Donkey Kong PK - Sensational port of the Arcade hit with numerous bells and whistles.

-Rikki & Vikki - Magnificent action/puzzle/platform game featuring boss showdowns, cutscenes, and more.

Coming Soon for Purchase:

-E.X.O. - Phenomenal action/shooter/platform/strategy title with challenging bosses, save states, tutorial, and cutscenes.
-Millie & Molly - Exceptional puzzle/action hybrid combination featuring an instant rewind system.

There are MANY more incredible games already available and WIP titles in development!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don't suppose anybody's working on a Vindicators port to the 7800. Used to love that game in the arcade and would love to see it on the 7800. Bosconian too. I've seen the 2600 version and was really impressed. May have to get that if it doesn't get a homebrew on the 7800. Just bought Donkey Kong off eBay and should get it this week. Popeye looks just like the arcade and will have to get that as well. Hmmm...maybe it's time to think about a Christmas list from Atari Age.