IGNORED

West Bank (Bank Panic clone)

Asmusr

I thought version one (Spectrum) quite excellent. The silhouette graphics (black on background) has it's charm. Didn't care much for the SG-1000/MSX graphics - the characters (persons) are blurry. The C64 was perhaps only a tad better. Making the graphics better seemed almost impossible, did have https://twitter.com/CollectorVision/status/1514319821470527489 in mind, - but then yes, you actually pulled it off in version two ! Much better contrast in use of colors, and black, than SG-1000/MSX. Bravo. 👍

The problem with Spectrum games converted to the TI, to me, is that I can easily go play it on the Spectrum. And yes, maybe the sound is better with perhaps added music. Flying Shark and now this makes a difference. And I know, takes more work.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Did anyone reach phase 8 (dusk) or 9 (night)? If not, half of the ROM is wasted. Maybe for the next high score compo? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. 🙂

It's a great candidate for the next high score competition! I'll surely partecipate. 🙂 

@Asmusr just a couple of feedbacks on the game:

- the V2 has a glitch in the flashing screen when you hit a bomb: the bottom righ corner (at right of lives counter) is flashing too, instead of only the borders if compared to V1;

- I'm not a left-handed, so the 1,2,3 and O,P buttons are not optimal for me. The Arcade versions has buttons on both sides of the joystick. It would be great to have also 7,8,9 to shoot and S,D to move. Or eventually, the possibility to define the keys. Of course, with emulators you can make some modifications to the layout of the keys, but this is not possible with the real iron;

- A screen with the list of keys could be of great help (I have forgotten the use of O, P keys to move...). 🙂 

• Like 3

On 8/5/2023 at 3:36 PM, tmop69 said:

@Asmusr just a couple of feedbacks on the game:

- the V2 has a glitch in the flashing screen when you hit a bomb: the bottom righ corner (at right of lives counter) is flashing too, instead of only the borders if compared to V1;

- I'm not a left-handed, so the 1,2,3 and O,P buttons are not optimal for me. The Arcade versions has buttons on both sides of the joystick. It would be great to have also 7,8,9 to shoot and S,D to move. Or eventually, the possibility to define the keys. Of course, with emulators you can make some modifications to the layout of the keys, but this is not possible with the real iron;

- A screen with the list of keys could be of great help (I have forgotten the use of O, P keys to move...). 🙂 

Thanks for the feedback. I have added the keys you suggested and fixed the glitch.

westbank-v2.rpk westbank-v2-8.bin

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• 3 months later...

I somehow completely missed this entire thread until today. I guess the name threw me off, if it had said "Bank Panic" I'd have been all over it! 🙃

Just wanted to say "Wow!".  Really nice work to all involved!  Certainly a high water mark for our platform that really shines, and really cool to see several contributors come together to make it special.

Funnily enough, I had previously contemplated doing a Bank Panic version for the 99/4A myself, as it seemed like a good candidate for the system with some nice stretch goals in terms of graphics as well. Whatever I would have done wouldn't have come close to this though...  😆

• Like 1

Strangely, if I try to load the westbank-v2-8.bin as a ROM cartridge using the TI-99_4A core on my MiSTer, the graphics are all scrambled.  The music is fine, and the game seems to play okay, though you can't really see what is going on.

IMG_6554.thumb.JPG.18c809e13d2af08ce7d38e9cb9f22be7.JPG

IMG_6555.thumb.JPG.15c2e2b5d1452522cd7b3496cac97237.JPG

The same .bin file works fine on C99 and JS99'er for me.

20 hours ago, retrodroid said:

Strangely, if I try to load the westbank-v2-8.bin as a ROM cartridge using the TI-99_4A core on my MiSTer, the graphics are all scrambled.  The music is fine, and the game seems to play okay, though you can't really see what is going on.

Since you're also having troubles with Ghostbusters I suspect it's an issue with the MISTer. West Bank works fine on a real console. Can you run other big ROM cartridges?

25 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

Since you're also having troubles with Ghostbusters I suspect it's an issue with the MISTer. West Bank works fine on a real console. Can you run other big ROM cartridges?

By "big ROM" cartridges you mean ones using multiple ROM banks?  Yes, I have many other rom cartridges successfully, including my own. These are the first ones I've seen an issue with. 

1 hour ago, retrodroid said:

I've gotten the larger carts to work on MiSTer.  In the TI-99_4A core config menu I had to select "Cart Type:  Paged378", now the graphics load correctly (vs "Cart Type:  Normal").

Great that you found a solution. Is Ghostbusters also working with that setting? How many cart types does the MISTer have? In reality the only types of ROM are inverted and normal (non-inverted).

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Great that you found a solution. Is Ghostbusters also working with that setting? How many cart types does the MISTer have? In reality the only types of ROM are inverted and normal (non-inverted).

Yes, Ghostbuster's is working too with that setting.

The core offers the following cart format options:  Normal, MBX, Paged7, Paged378, Paged379, and MiniMem (I have no idea what the differences are).