IGNORED

Atari Acquisition Megathread (Stern, Nightdive, Accolade, M Network, and now ATARIAGE!)

GraffitiTavern

There were 12 M Network games released on the Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3.  These were Air Raiders, Armor Ambush, Astroblast, Dark Cavern, Frogs and Flies, International Soccer, Space Attack, Star Strike, Super Challenge Baseball, Super Challenge Football, and the two originally unreleased games Sea Battle and Sword Fight.  We know Armor Ambush, Astroblast, Frogs and Flies, Space Attack, and Star Strike are for sure included.  Are the other seven games from Atari Flashback Classics Volume 3 going to be included also?  If so, what other games (or maybe just game) will be included since it is over a dozen?  Maybe they went ahead and bought the rights to some of the games where licensing would still be an issue like the Tron games or the Data East arcade games.

Edited by jeremiahjt
  • Like 2

There are lots of completed but unreleased games, and many unfinished prototypes from the M Network games that qualify for an ATARI XP release.

The Tron, Masters of the Universe, Kool Aid, Rocky and Bullwinkle and AD&D games could be repurposed...

The Data East Games are probably unlikely.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:00 PM, Atariboy2600 said:

Im still trying to collect fully box games of M-Network so far all the one I got are in light blue and hope to fine more games.

atari m-network.png

My advice?

Just don't skimp on the Dark Cavern!

(And I do recommend reading the manual)...Such a blast to just pick up & play and very easy to say "OK, Just One more game!"  Really a Perfect game IMHO,...It's Amazing!  one of my All time Favorites!!!!

PS TRON: Deadly Discs is pretty fun too!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gunther said:

There are lots of completed but unreleased games, and many unfinished prototypes from the M Network games that qualify for an ATARI XP release.

The Tron, Masters of the Universe, Kool Aid, Rocky and Bullwinkle and AD&D games could be repurposed...

The Data East Games are probably unlikely.

I think Deadly Discs could be published as is.  The same might go for Treasures of Tarmin and Tower of Mystery.  The Tron Recognizer graphics in Adventures of Tron would be an issue.  Would you still want these games published if they were modified with some different graphics and music.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I think Deadly Discs could be published as is.  The same might go for Treasures of Tarmin and Tower of Mystery.  The Tron Recognizer graphics in Adventures of Tron would be an issue.  Would you still want these games published if they were modified with some different graphics and music.

I'd be fine with that, after all, it's the gameplay that counts.

If a 7800 game such as Midnight Mutants was repurposed and remastered, with improved presentation, graphics, and enhanced with Pokey in-game music and s.f.x, I'd buy that on the VCS and 7800 Cart in a heart-beat.

The 5200 Gremlins game that would be another excellent game that I think could be repurposed/remastered.

A full 7800 update with the same improvements mentioned for Midnight Mutants for example.

I'd also buy that on the VCS and the 7800 cart too.

Edited by Gunther

Interview from Nightdive on the acquisition

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/nightdive-atari-is-on-the-rise-and-we-wanted-to-be-part-of-that
https://www.pcgamer.com/nightdive-ceo-discusses-sale-to-atari-says-publisher-is-on-the-rise/

Wade is fresh blood in the Atari vein. And he brings with him an unparalleled knowledge and love for classic games, which is rarely seen in the industry. It's going to sound cliché, but he gets it. He understands why Atari was so important to so many people, and he understands what he needs to do to elevate it back up to that level that it previously enjoyed.

There is this misconception when this acquisition [happened] that we had basically chained ourselves to a sinking ship, but it couldn't be further from the truth. They're on the rise here again, and we wanted to be a part of that. Wade is the X factor here and we are going to see some amazing things come from this company. It is overdue.

Seems that Wade(who already invested in Nightdive previously) was the big link for this particular acquisition, they said a lot is gonna ride on how System Shock remake does

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, Atariboy2600 said:

Im still trying to collect fully box games of M-Network so far all the one I got are in light blue and hope to fine more games.

Cool! Peripheral material like boxes and manuals would be cool for merch beyond the Atari XP remake carts, I have a few 2600 games but no boxes or manuals

(edit: also if anyone knows any kind of repro seller that would be nice too)

Edited by GraffitiTavern

On 5/8/2023 at 6:27 AM, GoldLeader said:

My advice?

Just don't skimp on the Dark Cavern!

(And I do recommend reading the manual)...Such a blast to just pick up & play and very easy to say "OK, Just One more game!"  Really a Perfect game IMHO,...It's Amazing!  one of my All time Favorites!!!!

PS TRON: Deadly Discs is pretty fun too!

Technically I still own the original cartridges from the games I got back when they where new but still need to find there boxes and some manuals as I still have like 7 of them. Its a good thing someone made these Atari game cartridges storage just to house these carts.

image.thumb.png.31860b2799ea57840e2e5e591b6e8233.png image.thumb.png.54b01c5adf9370145e25c6d0c1bb6c80.png

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, SoundGammon said:

It'd be cool if Atari got the rights to all the Electronic Arts titles!

I'd love to see a remake of ARCHON!

I'm not sure if EA has the rights to that series, since SSI release "Archon Ultra" in the 90s.    SSI ultimately became part of Ubisoft,   Maybe Free Fall Associates managed to retain the rights?

Anyone else notice the ridiculous number of baseball games Atari now owns thanks to these acquisitions?

Atari Baseball (arcade)

Homerun

Realsports Baseball

Super Challenge Baseball (M Network)

Hardball 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6!

I look forward to playing "Super Challenge Homerun Hardball Recharged!"

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:33 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

Technically I still own the original cartridges from the games I got back when they where new but still need to find there boxes and some manuals as I still have like 7 of them. Its a good thing someone made these Atari game cartridges storage just to house these carts. 

Woah where do you get those storage racks I need one of those

On 5/5/2023 at 7:23 PM, SoundGammon said:

It'd be cool if Atari got the rights to all the Electronic Arts titles!

I'd love to see a remake of ARCHON!

Seems like it would be way more likely for EA to outright buy Atari?

5 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

That’s cool. I wonder if there’s time to swap the Atari logo on the System Shock remake?

25 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Seems like it would be way more likely for EA to outright buy Atari?

That’s cool. I wonder if there’s time to swap the Atari logo on the System Shock remake?

I think existing publishing duties will still carry through on this release, which is Prime Matter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Fair enough. And I meant to say “slap” not swap. 

Wade Rosen is making some interesting moves, but is there any money in it? 

I'd say getting an inhouse dev which can do at least AA titles could be, but that depends whether they use them to their full potential. System Shock is a solid IP, although seems kind of odd in the Atari stable. Also these moves might be partly to restore enough faith in the company to spur further investment.

6 hours ago, Nall3k said:

I think existing publishing duties will still carry through on this release, which is Prime Matter.

Any idea how much of potential profits would go to Atari now?