IGNORED

OK!!! Now I got a new problem... :(

So it took me like over a year to figure out how to use my LTO Flash and get roms onto it. I also finally figured out how to get roms onto my Ultimate Flashback using a thumb drive... Got MEGA roms on both of them now.... But ofcourse with me the story doesn't end there... It just never does with me.... UGH...

Now when I download zipped files onto my work PC that part seems to go okay, but then when I choose 'Extract All' and TRY to put them into my usual folder the roms and other info isn't there. It says, 'This folder is empty'??? 🤦‍♂️🙄🤷‍♂️

I can only assume that the MIS guy at work saw what I was doing and put the kybosh and my fun... Anybody have any other workarounds for how I can keep getting roms using my work laptop? Are .bin / rom files so big that they cannot be emailed, hence why zipping is required?

Going forward I'm probably going to have to unzip rom files on my wife's PC and install the LTO Flash software there too, unless anyone knows a better workaround for my Company laptop? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Signed, IT NEVER ENDS!!!! :( 

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

You can get another thumb drive and store all your files there.

So you think if I do extract all to the thumb drive that will bypass the apparent firewall on my company laptop? I will give that a try, can't hurt right? 

The problem is, the firewall might be stopping all action downloading zip files altogether... :( 

What I mean is once I click a zip file to download, it seems to download fine, but then when I extract all the folder is empty. Meaning it's possible once I click to download, the firewall makes it so the download appears to happen, but it's empty when I extract it... :( 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

Yeah I tried to Extract All and save to my D:/Drive - Thumb Stick and the same thing happened 'this folder is empty'..... Is there a way that I could have the zip files download to my thumb drive (D:/Drive) instead of my computer (C:/Drive)??? 

@mr_me

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

Ok now I have NO IDEA what the EFF is going on with my computer.... You know when you download files you get a little box at the bottom left that show the file, see pic below....? Well I clicked on that and the Tron rom and bin file opened up. Usually I have to unzip them before the show up, WYF??? But when I tried to cut and paste them where I want them to be saved, it still says 'This file is empty'.... I'm going to continue trying to get them to my LTO and Ultimate Flashback.... I'm literally DUMBSTRUCK right now... Never saw this before and have no idea why my PC is suddenly POSSESSED!!! :( 

image.png.f5e5d23f2e1f7474ff7e0744f93bd817.png

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting

I finally got the game I was trying to load work.... I don't know why this rom was soooooooooooooo difficult to get working... It wasn't letting me cut and paste to the thumb drive. Then I couldn't find the path for the LTO Flash and then the rom just started copying in... No idea WHAT THE EFF!!! is going on, but now it's copied over to both Original Hardware and Emulation... GEEZ LOUISE!!!! 🙄🤷‍♂️

When you click on a zip file, you are looking at a list of the contents of the archive file but the individual files don't exist yet.  They do have to be extracted as individual files for normal use.  If you are looking at the contents of a zip file with Windows File Explorer, file explorer should let you copy the individual files and extract them from the zip archive at the same time.  But if you try dropping them in to another application you might get a message that the file doesn't exist.

15 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

So it took me like over a year to figure out how to use my LTO Flash and get roms onto it. I also finally figured out how to get roms onto my Ultimate Flashback using a thumb drive... Got MEGA roms on both of them now.... But ofcourse with me the story doesn't end there... It just never does with me.... UGH...

Now when I download zipped files onto my work PC that part seems to go okay, but then when I choose 'Extract All' and TRY to put them into my usual folder the roms and other info isn't there. It says, 'This folder is empty'??? 🤦‍♂️🙄🤷‍♂️

I can only assume that the MIS guy at work saw what I was doing and put the kybosh and my fun... Anybody have any other workarounds for how I can keep getting roms using my work laptop? Are .bin / rom files so big that they cannot be emailed, hence why zipping is required?

Going forward I'm probably going to have to unzip rom files on my wife's PC and install the LTO Flash software there too, unless anyone knows a better workaround for my Company laptop? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Signed, IT NEVER ENDS!!!! :( 

So ... are you asking for tips on how to defeat the security policies of your employer?  I would imagine that this thread will be flagged and block at some point ...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

-dZ.

• Like 2

If the zip file is in fact automatically deleted immediately after download, it could be due to browser or virus software settings rather than employer policy.  It looks like Chrome, for example, can by default delete files after download if it thinks the file is not safe.  That could be due to the source of the download rather than the file itself.  So the same file downloaded from a different site might not have a problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

So ... are you asking for tips on how to defeat the security policies of your employer?  I would imagine that this thread will be flagged and block at some point ...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.

-dZ.

Yeah I guess I was, but again it was ME assuming that the security was beefed up. I didn't see any emails or notifications that the security policies had changed. My computer has been acting strangely lately, but like mr_me said it's most likely Chrome not trusting the source of the download. I eventually got the rom downloaded and added it for OH and emulation so no big deal.... GEEZ.... 🙄