IGNORED

PEB Help/Advise Please

6 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Thanks for the pictures @Atari2600PAL--I have added them to my hardware reference folder for CorComp FDCs. One the DSRs, I have a sneaking suspicion that that DSR on your board may be an older revision specific to the Rev C boards. If @atrax27407 doesn't have it in his DSR archive, it might be a good idea to read them out and put the BIN files up here for preservation purposes.

I've just dumped the DSR just in case, if @atrax27407 requires a copy I can upload here?

29 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Thanks. Once I’ve worked out how to get f’web to load from the tipi I’ll give it a go

make a folder, put  it in there, map DSK1. to that folder, have your TIPI at 1000 or 1100 cru.. should mostly work have to try it again now that we have sector access

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

make a folder, put  it in there, map DSK1. to that folder, have your TIPI at 1000 or 1100 cru.. should mostly work have to try it again now that we have sector access

Thanks that worked (once I remembered I needed to launch XB)

• Like 1

I downloaded your DSRDUMP file and split it into two 8K chunks and found that there are a couple of minor variations from the files that I have. I suspect that they are to accommodate the FDC on your controller (which was an early version). There were undoubtedly some circuit changes because of it. As Shakespeare wrote "therein lies the rub".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atrax27407 said:

I downloaded your DSRDUMP file and split it into two 8K chunks and found that there are a couple of minor variations from the files that I have. I suspect that they are to accommodate the FDC on your controller (which was an early version). There were undoubtedly some circuit changes because of it. As Shakespeare wrote "therein lies the rub".

Ok, thanks. Will keep an eye on eBay for a newer card.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a cheap (sold as untested) PHP1240 disk controller, which I realise is single density, and was wondering if anyone can confirm whether I can at least test it, when it arrives, with my existing double density floppy drives please?

A web search suggests an SD controller can use DD drives (as SD) but I'm not 100% convinced yet

Any thoughts please?

(I just picked it up as it seemed cheap and I'd like one in my collection. I have a replacement CC9900 on order with arcadeshopper that will be my main controller)

Many thanks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Any of the double-density drives also work with single-density controllers, so your drives should work fine with the TI controller as long as controller, drives, and cables are all functional.

Many thanks, will give it a go then when it arrives 

4 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

A web search suggests an SD controller can use DD drives (as SD) but I'm not 100% convinced yet

Double density is just a different encoding of the data which reduces the flow changes of FM recording (single density), so the cell size may be half as big as the single density cell size. From the physical point of view of the drive, there is no difference.

High density, however, uses a different magnetic force for recording and requires a suitable recording medium (high density floppy disks). This is the reason why high density disks don't usually work with double density drives.

5 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Double density is just a different encoding of the data which reduces the flow changes of FM recording (single density), so the cell size may be half as big as the single density cell size. From the physical point of view of the drive, there is no difference.

High density, however, uses a different magnetic force for recording and requires a suitable recording medium (high density floppy disks). This is the reason why high density disks don't usually work with double density drives.

Thanks for the info