IGNORED

Newly discovered Air Raid?

Atari_Bill

Over on the Atari 2600 Facebook group, an estate auctioneer was asking about a stack of games.  In that stack is a boxed Air Raid.  Obviously suspicion would be that it’s a repro, but pics sure look real.  I advised him to get a local in person examination of it to verify before the sale.  Anyone in the Austin Tx area that could check this out?   Here’s the link to the auction. 

https://www.estatesales.net/TX/Thorndale/76577/3629406

• Like 3

"Can you save Manhattan from your loan command post?" 
So... you're some kind of banker tasked with saving New York from enemy bombers? If that's the case, I really don't know how you'll survive the 'on slaught'.

In all seriousness, the edge connector of the cart looks oxidated enough for it to at least seem legit. The box also isn't in greatest condition and is also torn. I don't think they'd go to the extreme of tearing the box if they wanted to maximize its value. 

Also, the large collection of vintage Matchbox cars, trains, etc. in this sale adds to the perceived legitimacy of the Atari games, including Air Raid. 

• Like 3

That is real.  Looking through the entire sale, that is inventory that would be close to $1 million dollars on ebay if sold individually for everything.  I have never seen such a collection available as for quantity, quality and rarity of items that are shown in the photos.

• Like 1

Yeah, for real. That Garfield phone? Holy crap... That is a find.

j/k

No, really there is some cool stuff there. This has to be fake or a test for collectables broker. 

Edited by R.Cade
  • Haha 1

I would certainly go, if it means saving the game from a vulture or the dumpster.  It certainly needs to be cared for and given a proper home.  The sellers need to know just how rare is, esp. boxed.  I’d be happy to be an ambassador for AA in that case.  Perhaps someone like @ianoid would be in a better position to go investigate?

40 minutes ago, glazball said:

I would certainly go, if it means saving the game from a vulture or the dumpster.  It certainly needs to be cared for and given a proper home.  The sellers need to know just how rare is, esp. boxed.  I’d be happy to be an ambassador for AA in that case.  Perhaps someone like @ianoid would be in a better position to go investigate?

I believe he has heard of enough now that he appreciates what he has.  It’s not going to get tossed and not going for $50 either.  Ultimately, he doesn’t own it. he’s just the seller, but the bigger the sale the bigger his commission so he’s got incentive to get top dollar.  

• Like 2

I looked at the pictures and have no doubt that it's a legit copy. I wonder if the manual actually is present, but just underneath the box insert? That's how it was on one other copy. 

The (seller?) also put up a thread here in the Marketplace:

...I could definitely see somebody willing to pay $25 Grand for this!

Hello I’m responsible for this game and  I am selling on behalf of my client and his entire estate which is packed with treasures! I posted on my personal fb and groups that I would give a $1k finders fee to find a buyer so you may see duplicate posts from other people but I have the game i my possession. There is sadly no manual, I’ve checked everywhere and even in other game boxes and no bueno…

Anyone interested is urged to message me

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ironically enough the person who passed was obviously a collector of alot of things - but videos games was not (had a small collection), so it would be great to hear the story how they got it?

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 1

I'd love to hear that story too @Goochman though I imagine we may never know.  If I had to take a guess, the deceased just picked it up when it was new and just held onto it all those years, possibly not even knowing it's value (since he didn't appear to be a game collector).  I believe the previous boxed copies found were from the Tuesday Morning stores, which is headquartered in Texas, and I read the other day that they are going out of business soon.  Maybe another will turn up deep in the dark corners of their warehouse when they liquidate???

If the stack would have had a Waterworld and a Chase the Chuckwagon I would have shit myself. Never the less thats incredible and I agree that it looks totally real. I'm so glad that it didn't end up getting discarded. Thanks for sharing:)

On 5/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, AirRaid2600 said:

Hello I’m responsible for this game and  I am selling on behalf of my client and his entire estate which is packed with treasures! I posted on my personal fb and groups that I would give a $1k finders fee to find a buyer so you may see duplicate posts from other people but I have the game i my possession. There is sadly no manual, I’ve checked everywhere and even in other game boxes and no bueno…

Anyone interested is urged to message me

Thanks

Did this get sold ahead of auction?   I saw someone on fb mention it went for $20k.  Seems a little on the lower side of what I would have expected.  

On 5/9/2023 at 3:55 PM, Atari_Bill said:

Over on the Atari 2600 Facebook group, an estate auctioneer was asking about a stack of games.  In that stack is a boxed Air Raid.  Obviously suspicion would be that it’s a repro, but pics sure look real.  I advised him to get a local in person examination of it to verify before the sale.  Anyone in the Austin Tx area that could check this out?   Here’s the link to the auction. 

https://www.estatesales.net/TX/Thorndale/76577/3629406

Missed it, really nice find however. I suspect 100 years from now someone will find a super rare video game in their attic like they did with the honus Wagner baseball card. 

• Like 1