IGNORED

1050 Drive BOOT ERROR

1050 always worked fine. Now getting a "Boot Error" on powering up my 800XL with the option key pressed.  I cleaned the drive head to no avail.

When the DRIVE SELECT switch is to the left, neither SIO port registers anything and the computer boots to the internal diagnostic(With OPTION held down).  When the DRIVE SELECT switch is to the right, the right side SIO port boots to the DOS Ready prompt(with OPTION held down) and the left SIO port boots to "BOOT ERROR" scrolling(with OPTION held down)

Anyone have any idea?

So one port allows normal booting?

If that's the case I'd guess the other one likely has a broken or faulty solder joint on a required line.

Holding Option should make no difference, Basic being present still allows disk booting.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rybags said:

If that's the case I'd guess the other one likely has a broken or faulty solder joint on a required line.

That's what I think the problem is too, both ports are connected pin for pin to each other, so highly likely

just need a re-flow of solder, but check the traces from the pins too, maybe one has cracked.

Easy to check which pin if you have a meter, just continuity check pin for pin as per this diagram.

image.png.183e9344c30323564aaefa485ad06d4d.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, koolmoecraig said:

Well, the cap at C44 looks a little upset :)image.thumb.jpeg.ebccc4ce81304a6316f09739471e4b23.jpeg

This just looks like a really bad solder splash. It can't be shorting out or causing a problem if the drive boots a DOS.

The drive select switches that you previously mentioned allow selection of drive IDs of D1: to D4: one is black and one is white to differentiate the two switches. The drive has to be set to D1: to be able to boot.

C44 is directly across the drive motor, and would have no effect on the SIO ports, so why not just clean up that capacitor and reflow the solder on the SIO ports? Changing capacitors at this point is just a waste of time, money and effort in my opinion.

image.thumb.png.7b9a211e987003c5f9b4f505d949adf5.png

Edited by TZJB

Yeah, perhaps it just is solder splash.  I can't see any cracked solder joints on the SIO ports but I will reflow them all.

Looks like it has some sort of doubler mod. Does that look right?

Yes, the drive was set on D1. I have used this drive for a couple years and never changed it. Drive just stopped working the other day.

IMG_8823.jpeg

IMG_8830.jpeg

IMG_8831.jpeg

IMG_8832.jpeg

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

US double mod.

You already know what to check it would seem.

Verify sockets, Eprom and Ram

This is actually the first time I have opened any drive outside of the internal one on a 1040ST.  I didn't even know about the doubler thing until today. :)

I don't know how to verify the eproms and ram but I'm quite skilled at re-seating socketed chips. lol

Should be able to attack all of this tomorrow. I appreciate all the help and input.

• Like 1