IGNORED

Coleco carts on Intellivision Super Pro System

Crash7

I bought two Venture cartridges for the Intellivision.  I get the blank green screen.

I used Intellevoice as a middleman, nope, green screen.

I've only got it to work twice, and that's when I stick the cart in real slow and jimmy it around a little bit and it'll catch.

So I guess the rumors of them blocking those Coleco cartridges on later versions of Intellivision is true, it's the only two cartridges that don't work on this deck, and it's brand new, only used twice before I bought it.  

Is there anything I can do to crack the cartridge open and maybe fix the glitch in it? 

It's very rare but a few Super Pro Systems have Intellivision II exec rom chips in them.  It wasn't done to lockout any cartridges but likely due to running out of chip stock in the late 1980s and using whatever was on hand for INTV Corp to be able to ship systems.  At that time a new board design and an updated chipset were being manufactured to replace the old design.

Mouse Trap, Carnival, Donkey Kong, and Word Fun should also have the same problem.  If the mainboard in not encased in a metal shield you can take the Intellivision apart and see exactly what rom chip it has.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Crash7 said:

The only bad part is if I were to get the right chip I am mechanically inept.

I'd be afraid I'd blow it up LOL

I would have to send it somewhere and have somebody else do it if it's a difficult job.

You'd have to know how to solder, or find someone that does.  Confirming what you have exactly is the first step.

Edit:

Actually, the rom chips might be socketed.  That would make the biggest challenge removing the metal shield, if your system has one.  You'd also have to find someone that can supply you the roms.

Edited by mr_me

On 6/12/2023 at 9:45 PM, fdr4prez said:

or get a different model console

I would but Intellevision I's that I bought online are nowhere near the condition that this one is in, this one is about brand new it was only used twice before I bought it.  

I just wish I could play Venture that's all, I got plenty of other games I can play that will fill my needs but Venture is in my Top 5. 😁

This might be a stupid comment, but did you clean th contacts in the carts you're having problems with? If it worked a couple of times then I would think it's not the chips. When I have dirty carts I usually see weird screens not the solid green screen but it seems possible. 

• Like 1

Yup.  Cleaned everything.  Every intellivision cartridge I have, I think I have 10 here. 

I had four cartridges that didn't work in my SPS deck, all U.S. Coleco releases, three Venture cartridges and one Carnival.