IGNORED

ACSI2STM

Hi everyone!

I wonder if anyone who has ever built this project would mind helping me out a little with mine? I've sorted out the PCB and I have the Blue pill and the STLINK programmer for it and then....

....Ugh.

The documentation provided in the GitHub seems to be aimed at an embedded programmer with some experience with Arduino and that isn't me.

https://github.com/retro16/acsi2stm/blob/stable/doc/compiling.md

Big problem I've got is no port shows up for programming in the Arduino IDE even though the drivers are installed and the Cube programmer seems to see the device just fine.

I have a nice little Atari ST just waiting to do something and no disks for it. This seemed like an ideal way to get it going, but I didn't realise I'd have to grow a beard and study on a mountain top for 5 years first: and even after that I might -just- understand the variants of boards. 🤣

Any and all help, I'm all ears!

I can't help with this project, but you do know there are several

ready-2-go solutions out there that aren't terribly expensive,

such as the Ultrasatan and SD4ST, right?

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=258

(the US can also be purchased in a case)

https://tinyurl.com/2p9cxaw9

HTH's.

Yes. The parts for the acsi2stm cost thirteen dollars and I spent maybe a half hour putting it all together. The PCB I got is quite nice in that it allows pass through of the floppy DIN to a regular floppy drive, too so at least it does something, lol

(And I have four spare if anyone is interested!)

Those products look well made and I'm sure they'll do the job, but three figures CAD so i can load a few games? Nah. This is more like a budget build than a 'spend several times the price of the actual machine on accessories' restoration.

If it doesn't work out at all maybe I'll look at the premade options, but more likely I'll just sell the ST on.

So yeah if I have to spend a little time figuring out Arduino it should be worth it :)

Edited by ChrisXF
  • Like 1

If the STM32CubeProgrammer work with your STLink you should be able to upload the compiled bin file (acsi2stm-3.01.ino.bin) in the release package. You must press CONNECT before though to establish connection. BOOT0 needs to be set to 1 and press reset.

I haven't used the official PCB (I used my own) but I have programmed a STM32 with success. However I used a serial programmer (I can't remember what they are actually called (USB-TTL/FTDI/RS232)) since I couldn't get my Chinese knock-off STLink v2 to work (tried with other projects). So I can't help you with the ST-Link itself. But both the CubeProgrammer and Arduino IDE worked with the serial programmer.

3 hours ago, ChrisXF said:

The documentation provided in the GitHub seems to be aimed at an embedded programmer with some experience with Arduino and that isn't me.

In the Arduino IDE, you have to "Export Binary", then use the Cube Software via STLink to upload the compiled program.

Ah brilliant advice guys, thank you both! I was sort of leaning in this direction as everything seems to work perfectly from the cube programmer utility. I managed to get the binary built in ide 2.0 but not 1.8.5... I dunno why!

Even better there's a pre-complied option for me to just program on: that's perfect for me. I'll give this a whizz and a test a little later after I find my video cable for the ST!

Edited by ChrisXF

2 hours ago, ChrisXF said:

That worked! Hurray!

To get that screen, do you boot the ST with no Hard Disk Drivers ?

Reason I ask, is I built one some time ago and could never get it to do anything, checked all the wiring

seemed all was ok, I heard that it doesn't work with the "fake" STM32's and wasn't sure if mine was

one of those, so bought another from a dealer who guaranteed his were genuine models, didn't make any difference.

Yep, just plug it in and it comes up to that screen automagically within about 10 seconds.

I'd suggest programming it with the pre-compiled image linked above from the release: every time I tried to compile the code myself it just built a massive turd that doesn't work. The 'step by step' compilation guide in the GitHub is nothing of the sort and I'm sure there are steps / dependencies missing.

If it helps, my Blue Pill was a $3 item from China on AliExpress, so there's a good chance it's fake also, but seems to be working so far.

4 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Can't seem to find any pre-compiled images :(

She's in here: https://github.com/retro16/acsi2stm/releases/tag/3.01

Download the .ZIP file and the acsi2stm-3.01.ino.bin is the file you want to punt onto the Blue Pill. Why isn't this documented in the GitHub? I have no idea. Thanks to snarkdluG for showing the way on that one!

Edited by ChrisXF

5 minutes ago, ChrisXF said:

Download the .ZIP file and the acsi2stm-3.01.ino.bin is the file you want to punt onto the Blue Pill. Why isn't this documented in the GitHub? I have no idea. Thanks to snarkdluG for showing the way on that one!

Thank you, just found it as you posted this :)

• 2 weeks later...

I messed up on the second run (wrong size on a pin header), this is what the final board should look like.   Please PM me if you would be interested in this board.  I will be open sourcing the final board.

The board has been working fine with the 4.0 firmware from  https://github.com/retro16/acsi2st both acsi (using hd images) and GEMdos.

image.thumb.png.5356268f5ec7ec43a7d60085435863cf.png

• Like 3

Looks nice!

Meanwhile, we continue, the SD card slots come in!

And it still doesn't work. What now? I've tried three different types of SD card, and the documentation is very specific about this error: it says nothing useful about this error.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

20230618_190054.jpg

5 hours ago, ChrisXF said:

Looks nice!

Meanwhile, we continue, the SD card slots come in!

And it still doesn't work. What now? I've tried three different types of SD card, and the documentation is very specific about this error: it says nothing useful about this error.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers!

20230618_190054.jpg

Just a few questions:

What size cards are you testing with?

Did you double check the lines from the SD card over to the blue pill?

Can you post an picture of your build?  

12 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

@ChrisXF I see your running version 3.01, the latest build is 4.10, I built the binaries

using Arduino, your welcome to try these to see if it improves anything.

acsi2stm-410.ino.elf 2.12 MB · 2 downloads

Yeah that image gives me a white screen and no functionality at all. Just jumps to the GEM desktop. Not a big improvement, but can't say it's any worse at reading an SD card than it was! 😂

18 hours ago, Jfcatari said:

Just a few questions:

Can you post an picture of your build?  

Sure!

I've tried this with a 4gig SD, a 2gig SD and a 128meg SD. No joy on any, but they do work just fine on the PC (not dead).

20230619_185014.jpg

20230619_185023.jpg

Ah OK I found a pre-built 4.10 in the release files and got that programmed on. Awesome!

NO SD CARD FOUND. damn! Lol!

Maybe tomorrow I try building another with another PCB and parts.

Really wish I had more than just 3 types of different SD card to try!

10 hours ago, ChrisXF said:

Yeah that image gives me a white screen and no functionality at all. Just jumps to the GEM desktop. Not a big improvement, but can't say it's any worse at reading an SD card than it was! 😂

It does seem odd doesn't it, that was the latest download, the correct board selected in the Arduino IDE, latest

Arduino IDE, compiles ok with no errors or warnings, but just doesn't seem to work.

I'm sure we must be missing something the author is doing but has not explained, could be something simple

as a compiler switch.

I may see if I can get it to compile on one of my Raspberry Pi's not using the Arduino, but may take a while :)

8 hours ago, ChrisXF said:

Really wish I had more than just 3 types of different SD card to try!

I know some retro devices that use SD/CF cards have issues with some makes of cards, the one

that most people swear by is Sandisk, for some reason, they seem to be better than most.

Yeah I feel like the software part is ok, too! I checked all connections and they are good, no shorts, capacitor and resistor values are correct.

I'm kinda thinking TGB is on to something with the type of SD card. I do have two SanDisk ones I've tried, but they are microSD cards in adapters. I don't think that should make any difference but it might?

I started a bug report on the GitHub and the developer is asking me to get a serial connection and start debugging. I have an st-link programmer and I'm not sure it'll actually do serial that way... And this is getting to be a lot of work just to play bombjack for a bit!

If anyone has an SD card they've had working with this project, let me know the type, or I can pay shipping to borrow it for some testing? 😂

13 minutes ago, ChrisXF said:

I started a bug report on the GitHub and the developer is asking me to get a serial connection and start debugging.

Unfortunately you are correct, you can't debug through the STLink, I'll have to check which pins are used for serial comm's.

I can't find anything else in the code where he defines the Serial Pins, the datasheet says the default pins are PA9 TX1 and PA10 RX1

Also the code has the be compiled with the debug flag set, so he needs to send you a debug version.

I think I remember when I first tried building one of these I did connect a serial to USB to those pins and did get some

data out :)