IGNORED

macOS Ventura (Intel) and Silicon Labs CP210x drivers

About a month ago, I did a complete reinstall of this laptop (I7 MBP, 2018) and 'upgraded' to Ventura.  It's been...  Fun.

For the life of me, I cannot get the CP210x drivers to work.  They claim to install successfully, but the kernel extensions never actually load.  Even trying to manually inject them silently fails.  This is the case from both the Silicon Labs-provided installers and the homebrew silicon-labs-vcp-driver package.

Unfortunately, this is making it really obnoxious for me to update my FujiNets.  Has anyone else run into this and, if so, how did you work around it short of my current solution of using a Windows VM to update?  Nothing I've found online so far seems to apply.

On 6/6/2023 at 10:18 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

About a month ago, I did a complete reinstall of this laptop (I7 MBP, 2018) and 'upgraded' to Ventura.  It's been...  Fun.

For the life of me, I cannot get the CP210x drivers to work.  They claim to install successfully, but the kernel extensions never actually load.  Even trying to manually inject them silently fails.  This is the case from both the Silicon Labs-provided installers and the homebrew silicon-labs-vcp-driver package.

Unfortunately, this is making it really obnoxious for me to update my FujiNets.  Has anyone else run into this and, if so, how did you work around it short of my current solution of using a Windows VM to update?  Nothing I've found online so far seems to apply.

@massiverobot any ideas? :)

-Thom

• 1 month later...

I have absolutely no idea what might have changed, but as of this evening I've successfully updated three FujiNets on the same Mac that was having problems doing that a few weeks ago.

System updates have happened, updates to packages installed via brew have happened, and God-only-knows-what-else has happened since I last tried doing this, but evidently tonight was the lucky night.  It was one of these things where I just hooked one up to see what would happen (largely since I couldn't remember), and the flasher actually saw it.

Insert giant shrug here, I guess :D

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:08 PM, tschak909 said:

@massiverobot any ideas? :)

-Thom

I have never had to install any drivers ever for any of the last three OSX versions, on Intel or ARM. I've only had to install drivers for Windows 10.

The OP may be making it harder than it should be. It just works- if it does not THEN ITS THE CABLE.

-andy

8 hours ago, massiverobot said:

I have never had to install any drivers ever for any of the last three OSX versions, on Intel or ARM. I've only had to install drivers for Windows 10.

The OP may be making it harder than it should be. It just works- if it does not THEN ITS THE CABLE.

-andy

Same cable.  That one I can say is a constant in this.

In any event, it's a moot point.  It works now.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:18 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

It sounds to me like you are trying to install kernel extensions without disabling System Integrity Protection.   Have a look at this link

2 hours ago, mellis said:

It sounds to me like you are trying to install kernel extensions without disabling System Integrity Protection.   Have a look at this link

SIP was both enabled and disabled at different times.  It's reenabled now and everything seems to be working fine.