Season 14 ~ Week 7 ~ Silver Medal Winner

Vocelli

Week 7

Silver Medal Winner Pick

By Kermit

s_BurgerTime_2.thumb.png.c5a6cd15e1f55c2ac8da4cd92fb1dac9.png

Burgertime

Game 1

CLARIFICATION: No use of CHEATS, emulation advantages, bugs, cart frying or other variables that gives you an unfair advantage in this HSC. Please assume you have to follow the game difficulty and mode for the playing week/s. There cannot be any game enhancements or favorite settings to play in the 2600 HSC, unless you are given authorization to do so by your humble yet strict MODERATOR! Vocelli

Burgertime

Released By:  M-Network

Left Difficulty: B

Right Difficulty: B

Game Mode: Game 1

Post your scores right here in this thread, and we will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone else.

The deadline for posting scores is Midnight (EST) the evening of June 18, 2023

Bonus:

Burgers and Basketball!

What goes best with Burgers?  A little Basketball!

Play Basketball by Atari (Game 2 B/B – It is you vs the Computer)

For your bonus score, report the Margin of Victory at the end of the game.  Bonus points awarded will be half your margin of victory (so winning by 2 earns one bonus point, winning by 4 earns two bonus points, etc.)  No bonus points are awarded for ties or if you lose against the computer opponent.

(Max Bonus Points is +5)

(Plug a Joystick into the Right Controller Port to play vs the Computer in Game 2)

Good Luck!

Burgertime Scores

89750 - Kermit (+50)

45750 - ZilchSr (+49)

33250 - JacobZu7Zu7 (+48)

26900 - AtariSphinx (+47)

26250 - McCallister (+46)

25850 - DrMooCowz (+45)

25150 - SnowBound (+44)

23400 - Vocelli (+43)

22100 - Atarian7 (+42)

21200 - Absalon (+41)

20250 - CapitanClassic (+40)

18700 - JeremiahJT (+39)

18050 - GBag (+38)

17800 - ClassicGamer (+37)

16400 - GType (+36)

16150 - Mikey (+35)

15400 - JasonAtari (+34)

15400 - MoisesTuseto (+34)

14050 - Evandro (+32)

13900 - FakeCortex (+31)

13750 - TheActivisionary (+30)

13700 - LaurenTyler (+29)

12650 - JasonHRB (+28)

12000 - Rickster (+27)

12000 - Keir (+27)

11750 - Keilbaca (+25)

11600 - Krytol (+24)

9400 - AGB (+23)

9250 - Mchetzel (+22)

Basketball (Game 2 B/B) ~ Margin of Victory

Win By 10 or more (+5 Bonus Points)

Kermit

ZilchSr

Win By 8 (+4 Bonus Points)

DrMooCowz

JasonAtari

Mikey

Win By 6 (+3 Bonus Points)

JasonHRB

Vocelli

Win By 4 (+2 Bonus Points)

JeremiahJT

Evandro

AtariSphinx

Win By 2 (+1 Bonus Point)

LaurenTyler

Rickster

Absalon

MoisesTuseto

ABG

TheActivisionary

JasonZu7Zu7

Mchetzel

Overall Standings

Remember The Top 26 will Qualify for the Tourney at the end of the Season!!!

418     ZilchSr
396     McCallister
391     Kermit
364     AtariSphinx
338     JasonAtari
331     Dr Moocowz
327     JacobZu7Zu7
325     Capitain Classic
320     Keilbaca
318     JasonHRB
311     Vocelli
298     Keir
297     Mikey
276     Absalon
271     Evandro
270     TheActivisionary
267     GBAG
254     ClassicGamer
253     EricG
252     GType
242     FakeCortex
241     LaurenTyler
239     Atarian7
235     MoisesTuseto
233     Mchetzel
214     Rickster
200     AGB
178     Krytol
175     Danger
164     SnowBound
157     JeremiahJT
153     RaymanC
105     RGC
67     AbleMVada
60     HankRearden
53     JimBlargh
47     SkippyBCoyote
32     p1Fq03
26     JGKspsx
18     Jblenkle

Season 14 will have:

~ Gold Medal Pick by McCallister

~ Summer Special Weeks

~ Challenge Week

~ Special Weeks

~ Request

~ HomeBrew Weeks

~ Quickies

~ Company Weeks Part 2

~ Beat the Leaders

~ Beat the Leaders

Tournaments Start at the End of September!

The TOP 26 will qualify for the End the Season Challenge.

The End of Season Challenge is:

Major Leagues Survivor 3 Strikes Tourney

~ The Top 13 Players will Qualify

~ It will last 3 Rounds (No more or no less)

~ 3 Games per round and 2 weeks per round

~ Receive a STRIKE by finishing in the bottom half of scores for each game.

~ The GOAL… Just survive by not getting 3 strikes.

~ Any Player NOT receiving 3 strikes by the end of the 3 Rounds, gets to pick a game for Season 15.

~ The Top 4 Ranked players from Regular Season will have a hand in picking the 3 games each round.

(The Major Leagues will last 6 Weeks)

Minor Leagues Survivor Tourney

~ The Players who are ranked 14-26 in Regular Season will Qualify.

~ It will last 4 Rounds (No more or no less)

~ ONE game per round and ONE week per round.

~ Finish in the bottom half in scoring for that game and you are automatically eliminated.

~ ONLY the last remaining Player will get to pick a Game for Season 15!

~ The TOP 2 ranked players will get to pick the game each week.

(The Minor Leagues will last 4 Weeks)

Edited by Vocelli
  • Like 1

For Burgertime, the AI is somewhat predictable.  On the first board, all enemies will take a turn when they reach any intersection.  On the second board, the hot dog will start skipping turns and take the most direct path to you.  Starting on the 5th board, the hot dog will sometimes do a complete 180 degree turn to reverse direction.  On the 6th board, the game gets crazy difficult.  All enemies move faster, and the bread stick starts skipping ladders to get to you more quickly.  Patterns may be possible, although I've not yet taken the time to develop any.

EDIT: After playing the game a few times this week, I found that the hot dog will do 180 degree turns starting at the 2nd board (doesn't wait until the 5th board).

Since the game gets so difficult on the 6th board, it's best to rack up points early in the game, focusing on scoring as many 500 point drops as possible.  The fries/ice cream/root beer appear every fourth time a part of a burger lands on one of the platters, so you can sometimes plan ahead to be within reach of this bonus when it appears.  On the 3rd and 4th boards, beware of the short platforms which only have two rungs on their ladders. If you are on one of these platforms, an enemy can kill you from the platform above or below you.

For Basketball, I find that the computer opponent has the most difficult time blocking half court shots, which I am able to sink with amazing accuracy.  The computer opponent gets more difficult as you increase your lead, so I often don't start aggressively try to run up my score until the second half of the game.

Here are a couple old videos.

Edited by kermit73
Made correction to AI comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I must admit, Burger Time is one of those games that just doesn't do it for me. I wasn't a huge fan even of the arcade game. and this port isn't great imho. I've had a go to get something on the board, but not sure I'll come back to it beyond that.

Basketball on the other hand, I love. I only had 10 or so carts  when I was a kid, but this was one of them, and I played this a lot. It was great fun to play with a friend (or my Dad!) and the computer opponent provides a better and more fun game than anything had a right to in 1978 with 2k. Thinking about it, this might be the first home game that truly made an attempt at representing an actual Sport and that was actually fun . . . . .I'm a big fan of this one :) . I've got a win under my belt (at the 6th attempt, including 3 draws! 😂 ) but will definitely look for a better score if time allows. It's just a shame that there are only bonus points on offer for this one.

Anyway, that's enough from me, here are some scores

BurgerTime (1983) (M Network).png

Basketball (1978) (Atari).png

• Like 4

BurgerTime: 13,700 (To think, the famous hamburger got its origins in New Haven, Connecticut.  A businessman went into Louis Lassen's lunch wagon and asked for something quick to go.  So Mr. Lassen took a blend of steak trimmings and proceeded to put them between two slices of toast.  I so want to check that place out sometime.)

Basketball: 42-40 (At least I beat the darn computer.)

BurgerTime (1983) (M Network)_1.png

Basketball (1978) (Atari).png

• Like 2

Burgertime: 53800

Basketball: 38-30 ( Win by 8 )

Since Basketball doesn't have a shot clock, it's pretty easy to stall if you don't want to actively play against a tougher computer opponent and risk a decrease in your margin of victory.  I normally wouldn't play this way, but it might make sense if the goal is to maximize bonus points.  This contributed to the low scoring game.

@Vocelli - For Basketball, you need to use the right joystick controller.  Since this is unusual, it might be worth mentioning in the original post.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8d3f421d10c19a59fa0ef82e1eb0e03.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.60bba96532322600e7ebacc72da7a1ab.jpeg

• Like 4

Modest improvements in both. Managed to get a six point lead in Basketball and then took a Royball approach (that reference will only mean anything to people who follow English football) to try and just hold on to the lead and run the clock down

As for Burger Time - well it's an improvement but I just cannot get on with this one. Not sure why :(

Basketball (1978) (Atari)_1.png

BurgerTime (1983) (M Network)_2.png

• Like 3

Burgertime: 67500

This beats my previous personal best.  I'm hoping to get past the 6th board (the 2nd time the 1st board appears).  This board is a kill screen of sorts since the first time it loads, it places two enemies so close to your starting point that you have to either sacrifice a life or burn through 2-3 peppers right away.  After you die once, the enemies start spawning normally in the corners.  It's not a kill screen in the classic sense since it can be cleared and it won't kill off all your remaining lives, but it is setup to insta-kill you once.

Something else I observed in my most recent games is that it at least some of the unresponsiveness to joystick input can be attributed to the game not accepting diagonal input.  For example, if you press the joystick diagonally to the upper right, it doesn't move you to the right and it won't move you up a ladder.  Instead, it doesn't move you at all.  It is important to be very precise with the four cardinal directions in this game.

image.thumb.png.970ca0b91ab5bf7fd11bd1e0e63184bf.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Basketball: 48-40 (8pt)

edit: where's my stinkin' screenshot 🤨

Ill upload pic when I get home from work, or, if I can't find it, Ill just play again and put a new screenshot ... I get 8 point wins half the time I play ... I just cant ever seem to hold on to that ever elusive 10-pt lead.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 1