IGNORED

cc65/Atari lib.: sys check module?

Hi!  I know that cc65 has a module in its Atari libraries that checks a system for compatibility and, if not, displays a very long message.  I've had experience with this, as it happened to me once.  Now, the cc65 Atari docs say that this can be disabled, but I wasn't able to disable this check.  At the very least, I want to shorten the message, or I could simply replace the code with an rts.  What module in the source code contains the check code?

Good news: I just found the file.  Then I thought of a way to exclude the system check code: simply disable the memory areas and segments containing the code and the symbol __SYSTEM_CHECK__ in the cfg files.  I think it's usually safe to do this, as most cc65 programs start directly from DOS and don't require the extra checks provided the user runs it on a compatible system.  What do you think?

5 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Good news: I just found the file.  Then I thought of a way to exclude the system check code: simply disable the memory areas and segments containing the code and the symbol __SYSTEM_CHECK__ in the cfg files.  I think it's usually safe to do this, as most cc65 programs start directly from DOS and don't require the extra checks provided the user runs it on a compatible system.  What do you think?

Well, why didn't you read the docs and performed this dance?

"Iff the user runs it on a compatible system". That's exactly the reason for the sys check module! And are you aware that it consumes exactly zero bytes of runtime memory? I see no gain in making in smaller (e.g. shorter text).

• Like 1