IGNORED

Excited about Starfield?

It looks cool. I'll probably wait to buy though.

The last game I pre-ordered was Borderlands 3 and I returned it because the game was obviously not finished/tested.

I wound up buying it again a few months later.

• Like 2

Starfield will be my first 'day-one' modern game purchase since Cyberpunk.

It looks pretty cool, though the fallouts/scrolls games are a little hit or miss with me.

I assume it will be at least a little broken because...daggerfall... and that there will be fan-made fixes released over a decade later.

but I'm mostly sure there will still be fun to be had, if for no other reason than Starfield's theming is more on-target with me than their swordy-sword offerings.

I like both that the ship flight appears to be more than just a loading screen between planets (like outer worlds), and also that a lot of the flight tedium, like 10min+ landing sequences, is handled by a few seconds of cutscene.  ...really looking at you Star Citizen...  

Speaking of, Star Citizen's still emailing me about once a week with updates that have been sounding less like progress than the updates from 8 years ago. 🙄

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, moycon said:

It looks cool. I'll probably wait to buy though.

The last game I pre-ordered was Borderlands 3 and I returned it because the game was obviously not finished/tested.

I wound up buying it again a few months later.

Oh man, BL3 was CRAZY buggy on release.  it took a while for it to get patched up :)

• Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 12:59 PM, Reaperman said:

Starfield will be my first 'day-one' modern game purchase since Cyberpunk.

I stand corrected, Cyberpunk was the last game I pre-ordered. Again, another game released but not quite finished. They did eventually fix the problems and it's now a solid experience. Going forward I'll wait a couple months for any game to let the developers actually finish the game. Starfield does look amazing though. I'll be keeping my eye out for the reviews!

• Like 3

I am incredibly excited. I am strongly tempted to do the Digital Premium (or whatever they’re calling it) pre-order in only to get the game 5 days prior to mainline release. I can’t really count on being able to take off a random weekday to play the game, but having it a few days early will give me the weekend to devote to it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, thanks to this thread for being a reminder, I added myself to the 'blind-prebuy idiots list,' for what is almost certain to be a crashy mess on day zero. The 125gb download pushed me over the edge, wanting to get a head start on that, since it's 10% of my ISP's rigidly-enforced monthly internet allotment. There's also a pre-buy skin pack, I guess.

For pc users, Fanatical.com's 17% off code (FANATICAL17) works on this game, bringing the cost down to a still-astronomical $58.09--also they don't collect tax.  Which is to say: "of course I report all digital online purchases to the state for full taxation."

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm very excited about this game, but no way I'm going to have a chance to even think about playing it until next year!  By then, hopefully any launch-related bugs will have been worked out. :)

Love this live action trailer they released a few days ago:

And if you haven't seen these yet,

• Like 3

Looks cool, and I'd be tempted, but I still remember pre-ordering Borderlands 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, both of which were unfinished when they came out but cost full price,

I actually returned Borderlands 3, waited a few months and then rebought it when it was actually stable to play, and it cost me half the price.

I have no doubt I'll get this eventually, although 130 hours before the game actually starts? That just sounds dumb to me. Why not let players start when they push the start button? LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moycon said:

Looks cool, and I'd be tempted, but I still remember pre-ordering Borderlands 3 and Cyberpunk 2077, both of which were unfinished when they came out but cost full price,

Cyberpunk is another game I really look forward to playing, and now it's had plenty of time to mature!

..Al

• Like 2

9 hours ago, moycon said:

I have no doubt I'll get this eventually, although 130 hours before the game actually starts? That just sounds dumb to me. Why not let players start when they push the start button? LOL

I'd suspect that they're just having a bit of a joke and leaning into the reputation that Fallout and Elder Scrolls games have for slow starts. Giving players a free rein right from the beginning generally hasn't been how they've done things.

I'd expect it to be more like 2-3 hours stuck in a bunker before you can start exploring though, not 130.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pre-loads start tomorrow on Steam. 140GB or so for the PC version, I gather. Fortunately I have 3TB of m.2 NVME drives in this rig and plenty of space cleared for the install. Premium version unlocks at 7:00PM Central time Thursday. I expect to be working from home with my corporate laptop sitting here next to my gaming PC all day Friday. ;)

EDIT: Steam preloads are live. 👀

image.png.b1b029a837c787b43adefaaa5a4af3ec.png

• Like 1

The people are ugly, the vistas are lovely, the pace is slow, and just like when you pick up a fat book, you can tell you’ll have to settle in a while. I have a free day for once so I think I’ll have an afternoon nap and play this mostly at night. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:34 PM, mickster said:

I have high hopes for it and it's free for me on game pass.  I love bethesda games, but it may end up being to deep/complicated for me.

How did you get on with Skyrim? Some people say this is Skyrim in Space, which is OK with me. Especially the “mile wide and inch deep” aspect. I’ve set the difficulty to Very Easy and plan to have fun exploring and taking photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd heard warnings about pc performance, but honestly they're not as bad as I'd feared. My rig's pretty old now (ryzen 1800x/GTX1080), but with a mix of mostly low with some medium, I'm pulling 35-55 fps at 1080p (my native) without fsr. Reasonable, but not ideal. The graphics settings are especially useless, though.  Things that might help, like view-distance/lod or texture quality--those aren't adjustable(?). 

I finished a couple tutorial missions, dropping my last save of the night after finishing up with the local pirates. I opted for murder-loot vs diplomacy. Probably closes up some future options, but that guy needed gone. Space combat tutorial felt good, if a bit basic. 

So far I think I'll bee sinking some real time into this one.  I'm not a big fan of ender scrolls and swordy-sword 'standard fantasy environment.' This one's targeted pretty firmly at me, though.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2