IGNORED

Season 14 ~ Week 9/10 ~ Summer Special

Vocelli

12 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Lost Luggage Game 4 A/B: 2221

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes Default A/B: 500 

I just read the instructions for Revenge... so now I know how to build walls.  I didn't even know I was supposed to build walls.  

The walls are a good thing? I did it accidentally, but I thought it was something bad.

• Haha 1

The tricky part for me with RotBT is that it’s so hard to see (and therefore avoid) the shots being fired at my sprayer. For every game I actually complete, I probably restart 10 because I get shot before even scoring a point. This also means it gets a lot easier later once I’ve started a wall that I can hide behind, but each wave begins the challenge anew.

86D87366-979C-491B-B705-30C7CC349A0E.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

The walls are a good thing? I did it accidentally, but I thought it was something bad.

LOL  You get the most points by building the walls but you have to complete the bottom one before completing the one above it.  You can partially do all the walls but to complete one you have to have the one underneath 

it complete.

Also if a plant starts to grow on top of the wall and you don't shoot it in time , it wipes out that section and you have to redo it.

• Thanks 1

Tapper (A/B) : 39300

Revenge Beefsteak (A/B) : 28235

both games flicker a lot using the ntsc rom in my pal JR (no pal versions available, right?). almost unplayable. Had to switch to emulation for these two games.

Revenge took some time to get used to the gameplay. But now it's almost fun.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 19.48.19.png

Screenshot 2023-07-03 20.25.05.png

Edited by Absalon
  • Like 3

Lost Luggage: 2087

Tapper: 59825

Tomatoes: 29450

On Tapper, when I start the game, I have 10,000 points.  Is that happening for everyone or did I somehow screw up the game settings?

image.thumb.jpeg.9ecaec109ff4202d9abaf92deab1b8e5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc2e676d8540b7a7b721036398f1853.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6f6f5e537b818e6ae6638fb75caa119f.jpeg

Edited by kermit73
Asking 10k point question.
  • Like 2

Some interesting games this week. Revennge of the tomatoes is definitely an RTFM game. I spend my first couple of games just shooting the blocks thinking there has to be more to it than this , which of course there was 😀. Once I read the manual and got into it, it was pretty good. I didn't really get into it, but it's an interesting attempt to try something a bit different.

Lost luggage is one I actually really liked for what it is. Yes, it's simple and repetitive, but it does what it does well and can be pretty engrossing in short bursts. It's probably the one of the three I'm most likely to play again.

Tapper is probably the most impressive of the three. While it's (as you'd expect) far from arcade perfect, it manages to capture the core elements, even the music (after a fashion!). The graphics are good enough to work, and it has the frantic gameplay of the arcade. The thing that stopped it being close to a top tier title for me though, was that the controls felt a little "off". There was a bit of lag in movement sometimes, and (more annoyingly) it seemed like sometimes a drink wouldn't release when you pressed the button, or sometimes there'd be two drinks go at once. 

This might be me just not quite getting the rhythm right, or maybe it's an emulation thing (I've heard other people talk about "controller lag" in emulation more generally although I rarely notice it myself). But whatever it is, it has stopped me getting really into what is otherwise a really remarkable game given the hardware limitations.

Anyway, that's enough from me, here are some scores :

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes (1983) (20th Century Fox)_3.png

Lost Luggage (1982) (Apollo)_1.png

Tapper (1984) (SEGA).png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jasonhrb said:

This might be me just not quite getting the rhythm right, or maybe it's an emulation thing (I've heard other people talk about "controller lag" in emulation more generally although I rarely notice it myself). But whatever it is, it has stopped me getting really into what is otherwise a really remarkable game given the hardware limitations.

It’s not an emulation thing because I’m playing with an original cart and it happens to me too. I’ll either think I’ve tossed 2 drinks and move on but I’ve actually only tossed 1, or I’ll think that only 1 went and throw an extra only to have it crash to the floor.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Keir said:

It’s not an emulation thing because I’m playing with an original cart and it happens to me too. I’ll either think I’ve tossed 2 drinks and move on but I’ve actually only tossed 1, or I’ll think that only 1 went and throw an extra only to have it crash to the floor.

Same here. I blame the costumers. They demand too much from us mild-mannered tappers.

• Like 2