IGNORED

Newbie question about using Fujinet with Atariwriter.

So, to preface everything I'm about to say, I have *0* experience using an Atari 8 bit computer or Fujinet, but I'm really curious about getting both. 

One thing I'd love to do on a A8 is type out a job resume for a retro game store using the "Atariwriter" program from an SD based cartridge like "AVGCART", and then save it to the SD card on a Fujinet for future editing, and then printing it using the Fujinet's ability to connect to printers. Would this be feasible? It'd be a fun way of showing my interest in retro gaming/computing to a retro store, and help me get a hang of the A8 computers and Fujinet I hope. 

Once again, apologies if I come off as a novice to all of this; I am. I've watched and read a fair bit about the Fujinet and A8 computers (The XEGS is the one I'm looking to get), but it's hard to grasp everything without actual experience using both devices.

28 minutes ago, Snowbound1996 said:

So, to preface everything I'm about to say, I have *0* experience using an Atari 8 bit computer or Fujinet, but I'm really curious about getting both. 

One thing I'd love to do on a A8 is type out a job resume for a retro game store using the "Atariwriter" program from an SD based cartridge like "AVGCART", and then save it to the SD card on a Fujinet for future editing, and then printing it using the Fujinet's ability to connect to printers. Would this be feasible? It'd be a fun way of showing my interest in retro gaming/computing to a retro store, and help me get a hang of the A8 computers and Fujinet I hope. 

Once again, apologies if I come off as a novice to all of this; I am. I've watched and read a fair bit about the Fujinet and A8 computers (The XEGS is the one I'm looking to get), but it's hard to grasp everything without actual experience using both devices.

Short answer. Yes :)

1. Mount a DOS disk in device slot 1

2. create a new disk image file on your SD card, "work.atr", that's 90K in size. Mount in slot 2

3. boot.

4. if you get BASIC, type DOS.

5. initialize the disk in drive 2 (slot 2)

6. turn off system, and insert your AVG cart

7. turn on, select AtariWriter

8. Use atariwriter. Your work disk is in D2:

More advanced use can be done with the N: device, such as modifying files directly on a web server:

Enjoy,

-Thom

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Short answer. Yes :)

1. Mount a DOS disk in device slot 1

2. create a new disk image file on your SD card, "work.atr", that's 90K in size. Mount in slot 2

3. boot.

4. if you get BASIC, type DOS.

5. initialize the disk in drive 2 (slot 2)

6. turn off system, and insert your AVG cart

7. turn on, select AtariWriter

8. Use atariwriter. Your work disk is in D2:

More advanced use can be done with the N: device, such as modifying files directly on a web server:

Enjoy,

-Thom

Thank you very much! This should help me with getting it to work in the future.

If I may ask, you mention "work.atr" as a 90k disk image file, what other sorts of disk image files can you create with Fujinet and what purposes do they serve?

I hope I worded this sensibly.

17 minutes ago, Snowbound1996 said:

Thank you very much! This should help me with getting it to work in the future.

If I may ask, you mention "work.atr" as a 90k disk image file, what other sorts of disk image files can you create with Fujinet and what purposes do they serve?

I hope I worded this sensibly.

You can currently only create ATR format image files. This is the standard disk image format in use in the Atari community, just a raw dump of disk sectors, and thus, must be formatted by whatever DOS will use it.

You can format disks of different sizes, but you should match the DOS used with the disk size you're creating. The most common format is 90K, aka single sided, single density. 720 sectors. There are entries for other common disk sizes (e.g. for use with MyDOS and SpartaDOS and others)

-Thom

• Like 1

Thank you again for your swift responses and clarifications on things such as ATR.

Lastly, is it possible to bypass AVG cart and just mount AtariWriter to D1 using Fujinet? Seems like that might save time over turning the computer off and on again. (I mean, can the Fujinet store and play a cartridge file on it's own like with xex and others?)

Either way, thanks so much for your time and help with explaining everything. 

Edited by Snowbound1996

3 minutes ago, Snowbound1996 said:

Thank you again for your swift responses and clarifications on things such as ATR.

Lastly, is it possible to bypass AVG cart and just mount AtariWriter to D1 using Fujinet? Seems like that might save time over turning the computer off and on again. (I mean, can the Fujinet store and play a cartridge file on it's own like with xex and others?)

Either way, thanks so much for your time and help with explaining everything. 

You can mount AtariWriter Plus (which is a disk) to D1:, or you could use a converted version of AtariWriter in XEX format on a DOS disk. I suggest using the cartridge or AtariWriter Plus.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Snowbound1996 said:

...editing, and then printing it using the Fujinet's ability to connect to printers. 

Not sure about that part. Could be my problem with the language barrier.

You can use the #Fujinets ability to produce a PDF file. It can "emulate" a printer by saving the file into a pdf.

As far as I know, it is NOT able to bring you a physical connection to a printer.

Instead, you can use your internet browser to load the pdf to your laptop / tablet. Then print it to your actual/modern printer.

Greetings

Stefan 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stefan Both said:

You can use the #Fujinets ability to produce a PDF file. It can "emulate" a printer by saving the file into a pdf.

As far as I know, it is NOT able to bring you a physical connection to a printer.

Instead, you can use your internet browser to load the pdf to your laptop / tablet. Then print it to your actual/modern printer.

This is exactly what it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1