IGNORED

Original Game Ideas

Not sure if this already exists, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we throw out some original game ideas! Ports are great, but the Intellivision could use some unique games that are best suited for the hardware. 

A lot of us might have some great ideas for games but not the time to get to them… here is a place to share them… and/or expand upon someone’s ideas!

Here is one I have been thinking of…

Return to Utopia

————————-

Takes place in today’s time after the islands have been established but are slowly falling apart. You being a billionaire buy the island and need to bring back the tourists by modernizing and innovating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure, but how about we define what is "original"?

Also, is there an authentic "pull for originality" coming from retro gaming communities - of all places?

If it is authentic, I guess we will not see homebrew wish lists being dominated by requests for ports anymore?

Will folks be more willing to pay USD 60+ for CIB releases, if the game is "original"?

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

Sure, but how about we define what is "original"?

Wouldn't it be the typical, common sense definition?  Not ports or games based on existing intellectual properties.

Also, is there an authentic "pull for originality" coming from retro gaming communities - of all places?

I have always advocated for this, and this topic suggests that I'm not the only one, so ... sure, why not? 

If it is authentic, I guess we will not see homebrew wish lists being dominated by requests for ports anymore?

Perhaps those choices are not mutually exclusive.

Will folks be more willing to pay USD 60+ for CIB releases, if the game is "original"?

If the game is good, I would.  I think others would too.  It's been known to happen. ;) 

dZ.

52 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Wouldn't it be the typical, common sense definition?  Not ports or games based on existing intellectual properties.

So using an existing genre is still original? Can a maze game still be considered original?

What about a "spiritual successor"?

What about a port that is programmed from scratch and includes extended/new features and modified gameplay.

What about a game that clones the core mechanics of another game, but dresses it all up with a nice box, cool story and flashy graphics.

52 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I have always advocated for this, and this topic suggests that I'm not the only one, so ... sure, why not? 

Perhaps those choices are not mutually exclusive.

If the game is good, I would.  I think others would too.  It's been known to happen. ;) 

If original games were really sought after (and rewarded accordingly), they would be already made in larger numbers.

As it stands, we are facing the following realities:

- Many IP owners do not understand or care about homebrew economics, making licensing very difficult.

- If one would really have a great original idea for a new game, that person might as well release it on a current platform. Not a 40 year-old one.

- Original games require significant effort to design and test. However, everyone involved is a hobbyist and there are limited time/resources available.

- Only ~100-150 CIB copies would be sold anyway, and that keeps shrinking.

- Unless you are a collector, it is easier for someone to justify spending USD 60+ on a proven concept, than to take a risk on a new one.

- We are all moved by nostalgia, and seeing someone pulling off a classic game that was never originally released for our beloved platform will always be attractive.

Anyway, I apologize for hijacking Brian's original topic, but I think all this talk about wanting more original games will quickly blow over.

In the end, someone else will pick up AA's mantle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian's Man Cave said:

@cmadruga raises good points, but my thread was not stating we should stop making ports… it’s more for those who want to try making some originals for a change. This could be the thread to share ideas!😁

All right, I will shut up.

But I'm still not clear on what is "original" 🙂

Probably every reasonable game idea has been done by now, so what remains as original is combinations of game ideas, new characters, new level designs, new back stories. Basically a game where you might recognize some of the elements of it but can't put your finger on exactly which other game this is a variant of.

Also regarding the Intellivision as a platform, I think we can add "hasn't been done on the system" in the mix of originality. I do believe a lot in taking ideas from multiple games and see if you can combine them in a new way:

• A maze game like Pac-Man where you can open a valve to flood the maze from the bottom, slowing down the monsters while at the same time you no longer can get there
  • A top-down racing game like Spy Hunter but with objectives, missions to accomplish instead of just driving all day
  • A Moon Lander type of game where you get into the caves in order to collect something, prevent bombs from blowing up the planet
  • A space shooter which alternates between horizontal and vertical scrolling (ok, that one has been done with Vanguard and others)
  • An unusual sports game, like the croquet game requested a couple of years ago
  • A platform game like Lode Runner, but with a way to cure the zombies back into regular people again
  • A combination of Snake and Berzerk in which you have both the snake, robots, humans and obstacles (I begun a such game on the VIC-20 many years ago)

• Like 1

Custers Punishment could be fun as a Jet Set Willy style game.  Custer, "taking responsibility" marries the squaw.  He gets yelled at as it's trash day and he forgot to bring the trash out again.  So, he must traverse the property looking for stray trash bags and bring them to where the garbage gets picked up.

It reminds me of one of those mirrored game covers posted on Twitter. The cover to Pocahontas was mirrored so it kind of said "PocacoP". Now I imagine that might lead to infringing two different parties, but the idea of a PocaCop game sounds intriguing.

13 hours ago, cmadruga said:

So using an existing genre is still original? Can a maze game still be considered original?

Is it a port of an existing game or based on an existing IP?  If so, no.  If not, then, sure, why not?

What about a "spiritual successor"?

It depends on what you mean by that.  If you are lifting your characters, story, graphics, etc. from an existing IP, then no.  If you mean something that was "inspired by," or "similar in kind to," then I think so.

What about a port that is programmed from scratch and includes extended/new features and modified gameplay.

It's a port, so not necessarily original, unless it transforms the game into something that is its own.

What about a game that clones the core mechanics of another game, but dresses it all up with a nice box, cool story and flashy graphics.

It depends again.  If the game offers new and unique elements, or transforms the mechanics in some way as to make it distinct, then yes, I imagine so.

If original games were really sought after (and rewarded accordingly), they would be already made in larger numbers.

I do not think it is as simple as that.  My experience so far is that programmers make the games they want to make.  When programmers are looking to adopt a new platform (or even learn to program in the first place) it appears that most choose to adapt an existing property.  There are various reasons for this.  Nostalgia is a factor, but also the daunting task of building the skills to begin with is enough effort, that choosing an existing template alleviates it somewhat and lets you focus on what you really want to do: make a game.

Of course, there is also the case that offering yet another variation on an existing property will get you immediate attention, since it leverages the built-in recognition of said property.

As it stands, we are facing the following realities:

- Many IP owners do not understand or care about homebrew economics, making licensing very difficult.

From what I've seen, most home-brewers do not care.

- If one would really have a great original idea for a new game, that person might as well release it on a current platform. Not a 40 year-old one.

Some people do not have the time, inclination, or passion to learn a current platform.  There is a beauty in the simplicity of an vintage platform like the Intellivision.  Sure, it has its own set of complexity, but let's face it, with IntyBASIC, programmers do not have to deal with most of those issues.  The technology involved is of a small enough scale for someone to understand rather quickly.  Compared to something like, say, Unity.

- Original games require significant effort to design and test. However, everyone involved is a hobbyist and there are limited time/resources available.

That is a given, and it is probably the reason most programmers opt to adapt an existing property, as I mentioned above.  This is hardly proof of a lack of demand for such games.

- Only ~100-150 CIB copies would be sold anyway, and that keeps shrinking.

True, there seems to be an oversupply of titles lately.  That is both a blessing and a curse.  Still, I personally would not like to go back to the days when we got one game every 3 or 4 years, with the task being so daunting that the programmer has little time to make another.

Surely we're in a better place as a community ...

- Unless you are a collector, it is easier for someone to justify spending USD 60+ on a proven concept, than to take a risk on a new one.

Perhaps standardising at $60 is part of the problem.  Does every single game -- original or port -- needs to be in a fancy box with overlays and multi-color manuals?  What about cartridge-only releases?  Surely there's space for a tiered approach.

- We are all moved by nostalgia, and seeing someone pulling off a classic game that was never originally released for our beloved platform will always be attractive.

To some, yes of course.  Although I'm sure it is so for a significant portion of the community, I will submit that not everyone finds such a feat all that important, and that not everyone has the same attachment to the same properties from other platforms.

Anyway, I apologize for hijacking Brian's original topic, but I think all this talk about wanting more original games will quickly blow over.

Sure, until the next thread that pops up (yet again, as it has so many times in the past).

In the end, someone else will pick up AA's mantle.

I'm sure in time, yes.

-dZ.

12 hours ago, cmadruga said:

All right, I will shut up.

But I'm still not clear on what is "original" 🙂

In my opinion, it is rather simple:  Does it use existing property created by someone else, or is it a port of an existing title?  If so, then it is not "original" in the sense that it is typically used in these sort of conversations.

-dZ.

I think this comment from @cmadruga cuts to the heart of the issue:  being "original" in itself and for its own sake is not really what counts -- it is merely one of many other factors which makes a game successful.

When you reuse some existing property, you instantly get a few benefits for free, with no additional effort:

• Immediate recognition and association to the originating property.
  • A tried and true concept that you already knows will work and will be accepted.
  • A built-in audience that is almost guaranteed to be receptive to your game because they associate it with the originating work.

When you try to come up with something new, you have to work really hard to overcome the fact that none of that applies to your work.  That is very hard work indeed, and it may not pay off, so it is very risky.

It is certainly not for everyone, but for those who choose to take the risk, the rewards may be great.  After all, there was a time when there was no Pac-Man, no Donkey Kong, no Gyruss, etc., and not even any game like them.  Then someone took the plunge and there they were.

However, they didn't go straight from factory to movie deal -- nothing worthwhile is ever that easy.  They were promoted and marketed until they found their audience, and then it snowballed from there.  It took time and effort (and for those manufacturers, lots and lots of money).

Then again, not every original game succeeds.  Even Donkey Kong started as a conversion kit to replace a game that was a commercial failure and almost bankrupted the company.

I also apologize for hijacking the thread, but I think it is important for all of us to understand each other.

Personally, I think both ports and original games are important in their own way.  I just think we could use a bit more originals to balance out the huge number of ports we already have. :)

dZ.

Another title I have been thinking of, which would tangentially infringe existing IP, is a 2D graphics adventure called Return to Thargon. That would be a reference to the somewhat obscure text adventure Quest of Merravid (VIC-20, C64) which ends with the two commands: "Slay dragon with sword" and "Recover firestone". In this inofficial sequel, the dragons are becoming an endangered species and instead of going there to slay more of them, somehow protect them from the ever more confident dwarves perhaps.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

One idea that I've been toying with for a few years, is a concept inspired by the title of a game that @vprette originally proposed several years ago:  When Empires Collide.

That title, in my mind, immediately conjured up images of two civilizations, with ostensibly imperial inclinations, fighting each other.  The story that popped into my head was an alien invasion on planet Earth in which the humans managed to fight them back and build enough force to go to the alien planet to attack -- reversing the roles of aggressor and victim.

It's sort of like a Sci-Fi movie trope, sure, but the way I imagine this game is having three phases in which the story (and game play) is advanced.  I described my original thoughts in this thread:

What intrigues me the most is that (as I imagine it) the Third Wave provides the same game-play and scenario of the First Wave, but in the opposite direction.  (As an example -- and I do not suggest that it should be this, I just mention it as a way of illustrating the idea -- think something like Missile Command, in which you first need to destroy the alien missiles, but at the end it is you who gets to launch the missiles.)  For some reason, that notion has always fascinated me.

I am not sure what the mechanics should be, although I do have some vague ideas.  I'd be willing to collaborate on such a project if anybody decides to take it on. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

One idea that I've been toying with for a few years, is a concept inspired by the title of a game that @vprette originally proposed several years ago:  When Empires Collide.

That title, in my mind, immediately conjured up images of two civilizations, with ostensibly imperial inclinations, fighting each other.  The story that popped into my head was an alien invasion on planet Earth in which the humans managed to fight them back and build enough force to go to the alien planet to attack -- reversing the roles of aggressor and victim.

It's sort of like a Sci-Fi movie trope, sure, but the way I imagine this game is having three phases in which the story (and game play) is advanced.  I described my original thoughts in this thread:

What intrigues me the most is that (as I imagine it) the Third Wave provides the same game-play and scenario of the First Wave, but in the opposite direction.  (As an example -- and I do not suggest that it should be this, I just mention it as a way of illustrating the idea -- think something like Missile Command, in which you first need to destroy the alien missiles, but at the end it is you who gets to launch the missiles.)  For some reason, that notion has always fascinated me.

I am not sure what the mechanics should be, although I do have some vague ideas.  I'd be willing to collaborate on such a project if anybody decides to take it on. :)

-dZ.

Sounds like X-COM: UFO Defense (aka - X-COM: Enemy Unknown) 

Earth is slowly being invaded and you work to repel them and do research on them and their tech, then you bring the fight to them in their base on Mars (sorry for the spoiler) 

The game has such a great opening 

The opening doesn't really represent the game you'll be playing, but both are awesome 

3 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Sounds like X-COM: UFO Defense (aka - X-COM: Enemy Unknown) 

Earth is slowly being invaded and you work to repel them and do research on them and their tech, then you bring the fight to them in their base on Mars (sorry for the spoiler) 

The game has such a great opening 

The opening doesn't really represent the game you'll be playing, but both are awesome 

Ah, I've never played X-COM, but I am aware of it.  What I was thinking was more of an action-shooter game, since we're still dealing with the Intellivision limited graphics capabilities.  Still, even if it is similar in general concept to X-COM, there is room to come up with some engaging game-play for the Intellivision.

-dZ.

On 6/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, carlsson said:

A Moon Lander type of game where you get into the caves in order to collect something, prevent bombs from blowing up the planet

I think you just announced Caverns of Mars 2.  Instead of dropping down vertically in a ship you drive into the cave shooting and jumping until you reach the core then race back out keeping ahead of the explosion.

Oh wait, "intellectual property" doh.  I meant Caves of the Red Planet by FujiSoft.

While I am pulled towards (well made) ports for nostalgic reasons my favourite games in the last year were Cloudfire, Pandora and Star Mercenary.

I feel like some recent ports have been lacking.  Specifically 007, Spiderman and Ewok.  I'm assuming because they are ports of bad games and not a comment on the developer.

I would rather see some good original games than more ports of games from 80's that were announced but never released because the NA game market crash.  The market crashed because many of those games flooding the stores were sub-par.  Though spiritual ports with enhancements look nice like Norsemen 2.

Was there ever a version of 1000 Miles for the Intellivision?  Maybe there is a modern re-imaging (not using cards) of that game but in space racing to Mars while avoiding hazards like asteroids and solar flares. 

Did anyone ever make a version of Euchre or Asshole with AI opponents?  Those are up for grabs I would assume.  Playing against rookies, pros and Martians.  Why not, we played chess against a monkey?

A new game like Military Madness/Advance Wars would be fun as well.  Could take place on Mars.  Doesn't have to but could.  What's wrong with Mars????? ;) 

image.thumb.png.d20371ccc99c22814fd9c2720cda0a42.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I think you just announced Caverns of Mars 2.  Instead of dropping down vertically in a ship you drive into the cave shooting and jumping until you reach the core then race back out keeping ahead of the explosion.

Oh wait, "intellectual property" doh.  I meant Caves of the Red Planet by FujiSoft.

While I am pulled towards (well made) ports for nostalgic reasons my favourite games in the last year were Cloudfire, Pandora and Star Mercenary.

I feel like some recent ports have been lacking.  Specifically 007, Spiderman and Ewok.  I'm assuming because they are ports of bad games and not a comment on the developer.

I would rather see some good original games than more ports of games from 80's that were announced but never released because the NA game market crash.  The market crashed because many of those games flooding the stores were sub-par.  Though spiritual ports with enhancements look nice like Norsemen 2.

Was there ever a version of 1000 Miles for the Intellivision?  Maybe there is a modern re-imaging (not using cards) of that game but in space racing to Mars while avoiding hazards like asteroids and solar flares. 

Did anyone ever make a version of Euchre or Asshole with AI opponents?  Those are up for grabs I would assume.  Playing against rookies, pros and Martians.  Why not, we played chess against a monkey?

A new game like Military Madness/Advance Wars would be fun as well.  Could take place on Mars.  Doesn't have to but could.  What's wrong with Mars????? ;) 

image.thumb.png.d20371ccc99c22814fd9c2720cda0a42.png

I created an Intellivision version of 1000 Miles :) and I also made a Stratego game too! https://youtu.be/YuV8uLRUj5s

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Another idea: Some unusual business simulation. Hotel manager, record company, truck logistics, hospital administration etc. Make it realistic or funny, or both. Menu driven, icons, action elements as you find useful.

Or starting and running a Game Dev studio.  (I know it's been done but it's a fun game).  For Intellivision it could run from the early 70's to the early 80's.  Trying to earn as many points as possible before the crash or actually averting the crash.

Or a store management game, perhaps a furniture store selling comfy chairs and soft cushions. But don't make the game all blue and yellow, with a maze like store layout and strange product names in made-up Swedish, or you might infringe a major IP (which already happened in the video games sector, but that game went all out to copy the well known company so they had it coming).

Edited by carlsson
  • Haha 1