IGNORED

How to get intellevision working on modern TVs

7 minutes ago, Debs said:

Iv bought an intellevision console for my dad as it’s a blast from the past! But i can’t  get it working!! Please can anyone help me and let me know what I need to do to get it working!! Please help!! X

Could you describe the problem?  What precisely is not working?

35 minutes ago, Debs said:

Iv bought an intellevision console for my dad as it’s a blast from the past! But i can’t  get it working!! Please can anyone help me and let me know what I need to do to get it working!! Please help!! X

What model intellivision?  What kind of TV and which input on the TV are you trying?  Any change to the picture when powering on the Intellivision, e.g. static, black screen.

Intellivisions typically output an old rf tv channel.  The TV has to be able to tune to that same channel.

Edited by mr_me

I’m trying to get it working on my dads 55” tv! The console I have just has the Ariel port which we put in but nothing changed on the tv at all! It wouldn’t even let us tune it in so I was thinking is there a way to get the Ariel port into a hdmi port? I’m not at dads at min so can take pics

the console is outputting an old analog type of signal and nearly all modern TVs are only looking for digital signals.

So it depends on the TV and its internal circuitry.

What i do is to have the console feed into my old VCR and then have the VCR connect to the TV using composite RCA cables.  Again, that assumes your new TV has composite input available.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if we have an old vcr? I will ask him later. If he hasn’t is there anyway I could get it working? 
like I said nothing came up on the screen! It didn’t effect the tv at sll where I thought I’d get at least static?? X

1 hour ago, Debs said:

I’m trying to get it working on my dads 55” tv! The console I have just has the Ariel port which we put in but nothing changed on the tv at all! It wouldn’t even let us tune it in so I was thinking is there a way to get the Ariel port into a hdmi port? I’m not at dads at min so can take pics

Is it a UK Intellivision, model number is on the label underneath.  A UK Intellivision would need a TV that can tune old UK TV channels.  A an Intellivision model 2609 would need a TV that can tune ntsc north american channels.  Lots of modern televisions have tuners that can tune the old analog channels.  Check the instructions of your TV to see how to tune the channels and what standards it supports.  If it has an antenna input then it should have a way to change channels.

There are separate analog TV tuners with hdmi output.  You still have to tune to the channel your Intellivision is outputting, same goes for a vcr.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002017724172.html

Edited by mr_me

One other thing:  Sometimes modern TVs include a coaxial cable input, like for CableTV.  You could get an RCA-to-Coaxial converter to hook up at one end of your RCA cable coming out of the Intellivision, and use that to connect to the "Antenna In" (CableTV input) on your TV, if it has one.

Here's the sort of thing I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Adapter-Connector-Coaxial-Commodore/dp/B08BYD8GV4/

Still, your best bet is to see if your dad has an old VCR:  the Intellivision signal relies on the circuitry of old CRT television sets to boost the RF signal, and modern TVs do not use RF signals.  Old VCRs include an RF modulator that helps in that.  I also use an old VCR for that, like @fdr4prez.

-dZ.

4 hours ago, Debs said:

I’d have to have a look tomorrow, I really appreciate your help but can’t do anything until then. Please bear with me x

No worries.

Also, in the future, you may want to post your questions on the main "Intellivision" forum, rather that on this sub-forum dedicated to the IntyBASIC competition.  You may get more people responding.

-dZ.

• Like 1