IGNORED

7800 button replacement

chriswhit

Buttons used on the 7800 are still industry-standard devices. You can buy brand new ones for <50 cents each at electronics supplier. Presuming you have tools and experience necessary to desolder the old switches, replacement should be a piece of cake. 

@selgus & @DrVenkman, I'm pretty sure he is referring to the actual post itself that is molded on the actual pushbutton that is snapped into the case that presses down onto the panel switch?

I would think that somewhere out there, someone has made 3D printer replacements but these perhaps?

How bad is the break? If it is just snapped clean, then I would just get some 2part epoxy to reattach back together. Once that is fully cured, sand or use a small file as needed to smooth it back out and then back in business?

16 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

How bad is the break? If it is just snapped clean, then I would just get some 2part epoxy to reattach back together. Once that is fully cured, sand or use a small file as needed to smooth it back out and then back in business?

Yeah, if it’s the button post, that is exactly what I would do. I like automotive epoxy for internal plastic repairs like this. EXTREMELY strong and durable, and specifically intended to be sanded smooth after curing. 

55 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I like automotive epoxy for internal plastic repairs like this. EXTREMELY strong and durable, and specifically intended to be sanded smooth after curing. 

"This is glue.  Strong stuff."

I'll second the automotive epoxy recommendation; it works very well.

One other option: replace the microswitch with one with a stem of its own.  While I'm not specifically recommending this set as I've never used it, the button located three in from the left and three down from the top (with the stubby orange stem) may be the sort of thing that could work, or the ones with the extended buttons in the upper-right corner.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@selgus & @DrVenkman, I'm pretty sure he is referring to the actual post itself that is molded on the actual pushbutton that is snapped into the case that presses down onto the panel switch?

Ah, gotcha. Well I have those posts too, from harvesting motherboards. If it can't be fixed with glue, I'd still be happy to send a spare.