IGNORED

Decent XE mechanical keyboard for Atari XE computers - how to order one

• 3 weeks later...

The graphite looks absolutely amazing. I finally got my 130XE in so have to pick one of these up soon!

Were you able to refine the red resin function keys to perfection for the final production keyboards at all?

bitchin.thumb.JPG.c816db87278a02f6ca476601360b9a6d.JPG

Feel like between the Falcon-themed graphite and those red switches.... would be oof!!

Also when ordering, assuming I can get one without any LED illumination at all? I know some people dig it but I don't need my XE to glow more than the UFO I'll be placing it in after the keyboard upgrade 😆

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Also when ordering, assuming I can get one without any LED illumination at all? I know some people dig it but I don't need my XE to glow more than the UFO I'll be placing it in after the keyboard upgrade

The illumination is fully adjustable and can be turned off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Were you able to refine the red resin function keys to perfection for the final production keyboards at all?

I agree the red resin looked amazing. Unfortunately, that's not an option for production. I only have a small resin printer at home that I try to use as little as possible, only for prototypes that require high resolution. Resin is nasty and the less I have to use it (and clean it), the better. Production prints are done by JLCPCB or PCBWay, where the material and color options are much more limited.

If somebody really, really wanted a set done in a specific resin, I could be convinced of doing it, but I'd have to apply a surcharge because it's so much additional work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

I agree the red resin looked amazing. Unfortunately, that's not an option for production. I only have a small resin printer at home that I try to use as little as possible, only for prototypes that require high resolution. Resin is nasty and the less I have to use it (and clean it), the better. Production prints are done by JLCPCB or PCBWay, where the material and color options are much more limited.

If somebody really, really wanted a set done in a specific resin, I could be convinced of doing it, but I'd have to apply a surcharge because it's so much additional work.

That’s awesome. Are there commercial 3D printing options that achieve similar or possibly even better results without all the legwork, at the cost of… it being more costly I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

That’s awesome. Are there commercial 3D printing options that achieve similar or possibly even better results without all the legwork, at the cost of… it being more costly I guess. 

Sure, if you're willing to pay the price they're going to ask, there are other, more expensive options that give you a wider choice of materials. Way more expensive though I'm afraid. The good news is that the STL files are available in the repo.

Of course, another option, if you're willing to deal with the nastiness of resin printing, is to get a cheap resin printer, some translucent red resin, and do it yourself...

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got it in the mail today and couldn't wait until the weekend to install it. This thing is phenomenal and completely changes what the 130XE is!

Even typed in a small GTIA program with it and what a difference it makes!

DecentXE.thumb.jpg.4117fbffb655f2c2401f13b7d405b0af.jpg

For those ordering and details on the 3D printed brackets, they lay on top of the PCB for a more stable or snug fit once inside the case.

Brackets.thumb.jpg.5aa21079aa9f99b74e542034375bb955.jpg

As can be seen here on the bottom left and right.

BracketsInstalled.thumb.jpg.fe8f180f29bf525ebd031a59c5525a9e.jpg

And here you can see the dramatic difference of a NOS Atari 130XE keyboard compared to the modern new Decent XE with Falcon-themed keys:

XESwapped.thumb.jpg.84a4218c974bd32233ef68e6de570cc1.jpg

I will say though, I prefer to keep the original function keys over the 3D-printed ones but am slightly concerned that the keycap adapters or whatever is needed to make that happen may present alignment issues. Which would bug me more than having the 3D printed functions. I guess that will also make it more two-tone but believe that will ultimately be the way I go so as long as the alignment isn't an issue.

Thanks for all your hardwork in making this happen and making them available for purchase!

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

For those ordering and details on the 3D printed brackets, they lay on top of the PCB for a more stable or snug fit once inside the case.

Brackets.thumb.jpg.5aa21079aa9f99b74e542034375bb955.jpg

As can be seen here on the bottom left and right.

BracketsInstalled.thumb.jpg.fe8f180f29bf525ebd031a59c5525a9e.jpg

Hi @ScreamingAtTheRadio,

Are the keyboard brackets STL files for the  available at your GitHub site?

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

Hi @ScreamingAtTheRadio,

Are the keyboard brackets STL files for the  available at your GitHub site?

Yes. They're not merged into the main branch yet though: 3d-junkyard/Atari130MX/Stabilizers/HeightPadding.stl at DecentXE-rev14 · bleroy/3d-junkyard (github.com)

There's also a small printable plate for console key alignment that also raises the low-profile switches to the correct height: 3d-junkyard/Atari130MX/Stabilizers/LowProRaiserPlate.stl at DecentXE-rev14 · bleroy/3d-junkyard (github.com)

1 hour ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

Yes. They're not merged into the main branch yet though: 3d-junkyard/Atari130MX/Stabilizers/HeightPadding.stl at DecentXE-rev14 · bleroy/3d-junkyard (github.com)

There's also a small printable plate for console key alignment that also raises the low-profile switches to the correct height: 3d-junkyard/Atari130MX/Stabilizers/LowProRaiserPlate.stl at DecentXE-rev14 · bleroy/3d-junkyard (github.com)

Ok great! 

The option key plate looks like it can be handled with a FDM printer. Do you agree?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...