IGNORED

Most recent binaries for the games of mine being pulled. All in one place.

PacManPlus

49 minutes ago, tkarner said:

Bob, in KC Munchkin, I recall there was an easter egg where you could change the sprites to the original monochromatic Odyssey2 sprites. How do you do that?

Thanks.

Hold down 'Pause' while booting the game will give you the original graphics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

The Rip-off rom doesn’t seem to play on my concerto. That is the only one not working. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm not sure...  it works on my CuttleCart II, and it's only a 16K ROM...  Is this happening to anyone else?

14 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

The Rip-off rom doesn’t seem to play on my concerto. That is the only one not working. Anyone else having this issue?

13 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm not sure...  it works on my CuttleCart II, and it's only a 16K ROM...  Is this happening to anyone else?

Rip-Off works without issue for me under my Concerto - OEM POKEY installed leveraging the latest firmware for POKEY - Version 96 - Build 30723.

If HOKEY is installed - Version 96 - Build 30323 - is the latest firmware for it.

*Edit: Just noticed and recalled, the header ROM posted contains a pokey@4000 flag. 

There were several ROMs posted that have header issues that were cleaned up and also made v4 header compliant under the latest PROPack release v6.13.  Nonetheless, for convenience, here is the corrected Rip-Off ROM only:  Rip-Off (20230627) (AC056F59).a78

• Like 4

Thank you @Trebor 

For the next Zero-Page Homebrew "Lifetime Achievement Award", Trebor should seriously be in the running.  For as long as I've known him here, he's been knowledgeable, helpful to all, VERY quick to answer questions, done impeccable work gathering the ROMS, has helped the emulator authors with the colors for the 7800, etc.  There's more but these are just off the top of my head.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Trebor said:

*Edit: Just noticed and recalled, the header ROM posted contains a pokey@4000 flag. 

Wow, if that's the case it was unintentional; the game doesn't use Pokey...

*goes to look

oops... 😕 

I've re-built and corrected that bit (updated in the first post).

Sorry guys!  It must have been like that for quite a long time...

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you @Trebor 

For the next Zero-Page Homebrew "Lifetime Achievement Award", Trebor should seriously be in the running.  For as long as I've known him here, he's been knowledgeable, helpful to all, VERY quick to answer questions, done impeccable work gathering the ROMS, has helped the emulator authors with the colors for the 7800, etc.  There's more but these are just off the top of my head.

Just for the color work alone is enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you @Trebor 

I would like to add that, what most people probably don't know, in all these years (over a decade in my experience) @Trebor has done and does a huge and valuable behind-the-scenes help job, he being actively involved in most of the best 7800 Homebrew games (to get an idea there are thousands of his private posts). Trebor is also the historical memory of the 7800 Homebrew scene and therefore he keeps in his treasure trove some fantastic 7800 WIP and prototypes that for some reasons have never been released to the public (at least for now). By the way, since 2013 Trebor is also my personal graphics adviser, he is talented and has very keen eyes, we've had several private conversations, even about choosing a single pixel (Robert, I can never thank you enough).

But above all, Trebor is a kind friend and we are very lucky to share our favorite hobby with him.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Sweet! I thought it might be a header flag issue because the game just wouldn’t start at all rather than launch and then hang up.

Edit-

It is one of my favorites out of the games you have ported over the years alongside Scramble because it reminds me of the mechanically very similar much-maligned Waterworld game for Virtual Boy which is actually my favorite Virtual boy game since I feel it is one of the only games that really leverages the aesthetics of that strange system to create a unique atmosphere. Plus I just love pick up and play arcade style games.

Edited by Lord_of_Sipan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

I would like to add that, what most people probably don't know, in all these years (over a decade in my experience) @Trebor has done and does a huge and valuable behind-the-scenes help job, he being actively involved in most of the best 7800 Homebrew games (to get an idea there are thousands of his private posts). Trebor is also the historical memory of the 7800 Homebrew scene and therefore he keeps in his treasure trove some fantastic 7800 WIP and prototypes that for some reasons have never been released to the public (at least for now). By the way, since 2013 Trebor is also my personal graphics adviser, he is talented and has very keen eyes, we've had several private conversations, even about choosing a single pixel (Robert, I can never thank you enough).

But above all, Trebor is a kind friend and we are very lucky to share our favorite hobby with him.

I couldn't agree more 👏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

By the way, since 2013 Trebor is also my personal graphics adviser, he is talented and has very keen eyes, we've had several private conversations, even about choosing a single pixel...

Trebor is the palette whisperer. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind words and appreciation.  I do not want to derail this thread and detract for what is nothing less than a magnificent body of work that has been graciously and wonderfully shared with the community, though I feel the need to make a few things better understood.

To make it absolutely clear, @PacManPlus brought me back to 7800 collecting after my entire collection, for every system, was lost in a move back in 2010.  It was BBCQ that inspired me to dive into palettes and the issues that surrounded them, after I could not stand how poorly some of the colors in that game were being reflected under emulators at the time.  Bob has been and continues to be one of the nicest, sincere, and truly genuine person, I have the pleasure of knowing; self-sacrificing as well.

The PROPack and the state of 7800 emulation in general would not be where it is today without @RevEng  It is his tools, his work, and his extraordinary way of making even some of the most complicated things I have encountered, easy to understand, that truly impress.  7800basic alone has proven to be the gift that keeps on giving, continuously.  Co-developed with batari, Bankset Bankswitching.  The plethora of updated and accurate documentation, including 7800 Hardware Facts.  The website http://7800.8bitdev.org/.  FPGA Core assistance with 7800_MiSTer.  Both software and hardware developments, along with the aid provided by him, is quite staggering.  A stand-up, brilliant man, in addition to everything else, in which I consider it a gift that our paths have crossed.

@Defender_2600graphics and insights has been second to none, time and time again.  He has a skill of combining both the artistic and technical sides masterfully. He never ceases to amaze and enhance a product in ways that cannot be imagined or at least fully realized at times.  Our conversations are often wow moments for me, truly a wonderful individual to interact with, and I consider it a honor when entrusted with the work that is shared.  Above all, a man of outstanding character - a salt of the earth.  A very caring and considerate person.

I honestly can go on and on about these fine gents and *so many* others in this magnificent community. If I am recognized for anything in this community, it is because I have done so by standing on the shoulder of giants.  Just check out the Homebrews and Hacks thread.  A plethora of individuals, developers for not just games, also tools and applications.  Hardware designers. Composers of music.  Graphic design artists.  Testers.  Some wearing multiple hats, multiple times.

Please folks, continue to encourage and support one another.  Buy the games in the store, be an AtariAge subscriber, purchase downloads offered by the developers, contribute in positive ways that assist in making this platform and community continue to thrive.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Galaxian and Space Invaders from the last chance sale. Wish I could have bought more of your titles, but I wanted a wide selection of authors and titles. I appreciate you making two of my favorite titles and I appreciate you posting all of these ROMs. In case nobody told you today, You Rock!

Conan Obrian Applause GIF

• Thanks 1

Bob, if I haven't said so lately, you're aces. Any time you've had a product I wanted you helped out, any time I had an issue with it, you helped out too. Your games are fantastic but you're the real star of the show. It's a shame more people won't get to enjoy physical copies of them in the future!

• Thanks 2

Thank you, so much!

I'm just glad people enjoy what I've done. :)  As with probably all of the developers here, these were a labor of love - something I always wanted to do ever since first playing Asteroids in 1979 (and re-enforced when I played Pac-Man the following year)...   And I've been able to make a few games that might not have been seen on a console otherwise (i.e. UniWarS - was that ever ported to a home console?)  

Thank you for liking them.

Bob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

THE FUTURE OF HOMEBREW ON THE ATARI VCS

ZPH INTERVIEWS ATARI & BOB DECRESCENZO!

Tomorrow (Fri) on ZeroPage Homebrew we ask YOUR questions LIVE to Atari's David Paige (Atari VCS Marketing and Development) about the future of homebrew on the Atari VCS! We'll talk about the Atari 2600 & 7800 homebrew games already on the system, their interactions with the Atari community and also what's in store for the future of Atari gaming!

We'll also be talking LIVE with award winning developer Bob DeCrescenzo @PacManPlus about his experience getting his Atari 7800 game Fail Safe on the Atari VCS! Plus we have a written interview from Dion Olsthoorn about getting his Atari 2600 games Amoeba Jump and Tower of Rubble on the Atari VCS!

Fri Jul 28, 2023 | LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT

WATCH AT 1080p60 FOR BEST QUALITY

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

So, question for you all.

I know I started this once before, but I'm trying it again.

If you're like me, you have a bunch of Flashbacks, and with those there are joysticks that have 'Select' 'Start' and 'Rewind' buttons on them. 

For the multicart bins: on my games that don't auto detect the 1 or 2 button joystick and are not paddle games:

- Astro Fighter

- Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest (Uses the difficulty switches to select type of joystick, doesn't auto detect)
- Crazy Otto

- Failsafe

- Frenzy

- Meteor Shower

- Galaxian

- Jr. Pac-Man
- K.C. Munchkin

- Moon Cresta
- Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition

- Pac-Man Collection Pokey

- Pac-Man Collection

- Pac-Man Energy Drink Edition

- Space Invaders
- Super Pac-Man
- UniWarS 

I could potentially add this routine to all of the above (I made it modular to be easy to add, provided there is ROM space).  I would use the 'Select', 'Start', and 'Rewind' as 'Select', 'Reset' and 'Pause', respectively.  The excellent A7800 emulator doesn't allow invalid direction pressing (i.e. left + right simultaneously, etc. - which these extra buttons use) so there shouldn't be much of an issue.  I know ProSystem does allow for this, but A7800 is leagues better anyway ;)

(BTW, the reason why I would only be doing the games that don't auto-detect the 1 or 2 button joystick is because the joysticks that have the extra buttons in the front messes up the auto-detection routine).

I've added it to Galaxian here below, so give it a try and let me know if I should add it to the others.

Please note:

- It's sometimes a little difficult to press the front buttons; sometimes only one or two of the directions register, which can make this a little frustrating.  This is why I'm asking.  

- The two 'Pause' buttons have their own routine so I can keep the routine modular.  This means that pressing 'Pause' on the console requires you to hit 'Pause' on the console to start again.  Same with the 'Rewind' (Pause) button on the front of the joystick.  They aren't interchangeable. 

Let me know what you think.

Bob

Galaxian.A78 Galaxian.BIN

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1