IGNORED

Most recent binaries for the games of mine being pulled. All in one place.

PacManPlus

Would love to test this out Bob, but honestly bought the '7800' Flashback years ago when it was first release, once I found it was NOAC, I put it in storage...somewhere.   I really haven't tried it since...sorry :(

For controller usage, it is typically Arcade homemade boxes, a Genesis or SNES gamepad.  I have a couple of NES Advantage Controllers converted, and that TV Plug-in-play Space Invaders too.  Of course, original Prolines and even a few Telegames clones with the rapid/continuous fire.  I don't have the Flashback joysticks readily available.  I'll see if I can locate them (likely with the console and respective box) perhaps this weekend.

• Like 3

Just throwing an idea out here... we have 2 kinds of multibutton adapters now, mega7800 and snes2atari, that are in a number of players hands already thanks to 7800GD and Petscii Robots. @batari announced his intent to create a snes2atari+ adapter, which will support proline emulation and native snes2atari. I see these adapters getting even more popular as time goes on, if only to allow couch-complaint pause, reset, new rom selection in flash cart, etc.

In 7800basic I put together a "multibutton" build option, and every 64 frames any default-proline controler is probed to see if either of these adapters are present. If one of them is found, its driver runs once per frame and updates SWCHA and INPT1 faux registers, with extra button bits stuffed into the INPT1 faux register. From the game code perspective, the game just checks the faux registers, which is a nice generic interface.

I'm not pushing for any asm game author to do all that, but I am using it to illustrate that support for multibutton controls using these adapters are likely to be a thing going forward. It's also worth highlighting that the flashback controls aren't something that are easily obtainable anymore.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Trebor said:

Would love to test this out Bob, but honestly bought the '7800' Flashback years ago when it was first release, once I found it was NOAC, I put it in storage...somewhere.   I really haven't tried it since...sorry :(

For controller usage, it is typically Arcade homemade boxes, a Genesis or SNES gamepad.  I have a couple of NES Advantage Controllers converted, and that TV Plug-in-play Space Invaders too.  Of course, original Prolines and even a few Telegames clones with the rapid/continuous fire.  I don't have the Flashback joysticks readily available.  I'll see if I can locate them (likely with the console and respective box) perhaps this weekend.

I cannot bring myself to hack the SI P&P. I like it too much...

9 hours ago, RevEng said:

Just throwing an idea out here... we have 2 kinds of multibutton adapters now, mega7800 and snes2atari, that are in a number of players hands already thanks to 7800GD and Petscii Robots. @batari announced his intent to create a snes2atari+ adapter, which will support proline emulation and native snes2atari. I see these adapters getting even more popular as time goes on, if only to allow couch-complaint pause, reset, new rom selection in flash cart, etc.

In 7800basic I put together a "multibutton" build option, and every 64 frames any default-proline controler is probed to see if either of these adapters are present. If one of them is found, its driver runs once per frame and updates SWCHA and INPT1 faux registers, with extra button bits stuffed into the INPT1 faux register. From the game code perspective, the game just checks the faux registers, which is a nice generic interface.

I'm not pushing for any asm game author to do all that, but I am using it to illustrate that support for multibutton controls using these adapters are likely to be a supported thing going forward. It's also worth highlighting that the flashback controls aren't something that are easily obtainable anymore.

Hope so!

• Like 2

I've also done Moon Cresta below; along with that, I've fixed some things that always bugged me about this game:

- Relaxed the bullet to enemy collision detection (no more bullets going through enemies!)

- Changed the score to be left padded with spaces instead of zeros (until the last two zeros, which seemed to be the norm)

You will know it's the new version because I've used the alternate logo on the splash screen (and added the 'v1.1' like I did with Galaxian)

MoonCresta.A78 MoonCresta.bin MoonCrestaP.A78 MoonCrestaP.bin

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I've also done Moon Cresta below; along with that, I've fixed some things that always bugged me about this game:

- Relaxed the bullet to enemy collision detection (no more bullets going through enemies!)

- Changed the score to be left padded with spaces instead of zeros (until the last two zeros, which seemed to be the norm)

You will know it's the new version because I've used the alternate logo on the splash screen (and added the 'v1.1' like I did with Galaxian)

MoonCresta.A78 32.13 kB · 1 download MoonCresta.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads MoonCrestaP.A78 32.13 kB · 1 download MoonCrestaP.bin 32 kB · 0 downloads

That sounds great! This game was part of my last chance order, and I'm wondering if @Albert could use the new ROM for my cart instead?

8 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

MoonCresta.A78 32.13 kB · 12 downloads MoonCresta.bin 32 kB · 8 downloads MoonCrestaP.A78 32.13 kB · 4 downloads MoonCrestaP.bin 32 kB · 3 downloads

I just downloaded these.  The NTSC A78 version loops when used on BUP.  Not sure if that is an issue with emulator or with the binary, so I thought I'd post about it.  When you start the game, the game just restarts when you push "fire" to fire at the enemies.  You may get some shots before it happens, but it happened consistently. 

Hey!

Ok, this is what is happening: The BUP emulator, like ProSystem, is allowing for left and right simultaneous presses.  The 'left + right' keypress is the 'select' button on the flashback joystick.  It will take you back to the menu.  This will not happen on the real thing (with a multicart, or the new bin) unless you are using a controller that allows for left+right simultaneously (i.e. all buttons) which normally is an impossible combination.

I know A7800 does not allow for this, as that's the emulator I always test with.  (I tested it on the real thing as well).

Bob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Hey!

Ok, this is what is happening: The BUP emulator, like ProSystem, is allowing for left and right simultaneous presses.  The 'left + right' keypress is the 'select' button on the flashback joystick.  It will take you back to the menu.  This will not happen on the real thing (with a multicart, or the new bin) unless you are using a controller that allows for left+right simultaneously (i.e. all buttons) which normally is an impossible combination.

I know A7800 does not allow for this, as that's the emulator I always test with.  (I tested it on the real thing as well).

Bob

Hey Bob, some poorly designed JoyPads allow you to press the D-pad in the middle and this can cause you to accidentally press multiple directions simultaneously. Unfortunately this is also the case with the Atari CX78 JoyPad, in which I remember that the D-pad is free to go down until it touches (and even breaks) the internal PCB boards. I don't have a 7800 Multicart yet so I'm sorry I can't help but maybe someone can do some tests.

AtariCX78JoyPad.thumb.PNG.02ea52bda5879b22e2cf9556ef7c57de.PNG

AtariCX782.thumb.PNG.8c825c511d8377235e859fcef1c7e9a5.PNG

AtariCX78.thumb.PNG.fe921a14a44133701dc9a64bfd998160.PNG

AtariCX78..thumb.PNG.b348b8be63cb24125345663f3ac81b55.PNG

Hmmm....

Ok new idea.

When i get home later, I'll change it so the 'menu' button is 'select' (that one is up+down). I'll change Galaxian to be that too.

Which means that only the left / right joystick games will have fb button support. (And there's very few of those):

- Astro Fighter

- Meteor Shower

- Galaxian

- Moon Cresta

- Space Invaders
- UniWarS 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hmmm....

Ok new idea.

When i get home later, I'll change it so the 'menu' button is 'select' (that one is up+down). I'll change Galaxian to be that too.

Which means that only the left / right joystick games will have fb button support. (And there's very few of those):

- Astro Fighter

- Meteor Shower

- Galaxian

- Moon Cresta

- Space Invaders
- UniWarS 

Can three-direction presses be polled for?  I'm thinking that something like UP+DOWN+LEFT would be a lot less likely to happen in normal use than just UP+DOWN, for example.

This could also potentially open up more function buttons on the controller for projects that may need them.

• Like 1

The buttons on the front of the fb joysticks are set.

I dont have the exact directions in front of me (I'm not home ATM), but i think the four of them are 

Up+Down

Left+Right

Up+Down+Left and

Up+Down+Right

Those map to Menu, Reset, Select, and Rewind.  Can't remember which map to which right now, but i did another thread a while back that shows it...

EDIT - Found the old thread: 

Edited by PacManPlus

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Hmmm....

Ok new idea.

- Astro Fighter

- Meteor Shower

- Galaxian

- Moon Cresta

- Space Invaders
- UniWarS 

Bob, I'm testing my CX78 (without plugging it into the console) and when I press D-pad center I feel that, if all four directions are not pressed, what can happen is that the three directions adjacent to the chosen direction are pressed, for example pressing the center while we wanted to press right we get the pressure of right + up + down. So the least probable result is just getting pressure from two opposite directions, for example pressing right and getting right + left (which instead occurs only when all four directions are centered simultaneously).

Having said that, I think no changes to the current configuration are necessary, even considering that only a neophyte would like to play Galaxian with a CX78. Sorry if I just complicated things. :(

Ok, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I changed the front buttons to use the 'menu' button for select, and I changed all six games mentioned above.

The bad news is I have to run out again and I haven't had the chance to test them.

I'm posting them here.  Could I ask you guys a favor and see if there are any issues?  There should be no 'resets' any more when using an emulator, and they should work on multi carts with the FB joysticks, (or without of course).

They all say v1.1 somewhere on the splash screen...

Astro Fighter: AstroFighter.A78 AstroFighter.BIN

Galaxian: Galaxian.A78 Galaxian.BIN

Meteor Shower: MeteorSh.A78 MeteorSh.BIN MeteorShP.A78 MeteorShP.BIN

Moon Cresta: MoonCresta.A78 MoonCresta.bin MoonCrestaP.A78 MoonCrestaP.bin

Space Invaders: SI7800.A78 SI7800.bin SI7800P.A78 SI7800P.bin

UniWars: UniWarS.A78 UniWarS.BIN

ALSO, Meteor Shower now has the 'Hyperspace' sound added in.  This was something I missed when I first put out this game.

Please let me know, and thank you,

Bob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob! I love all the games you gifted to the community. As long as your going over your body of work and doing some tinkering, I had an idea: would it be possible to add “button speedup” option to your Pac-Man collections? That way you can switch between normal and fast speed. If that’s too complicated to do, feel free to ignore my post. Thanks again for everything!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up about checking for opposite directions pressed on the controller (i.e. UP + DOWN or LEFT + RIGHT) - some of those other console manufacturers recommended one should avoid this practice in their development literature. It's not just the CX78 that can yield spurious presses this way, but many controllers using a rocking directional pad. Especially after three decades of use.

Of course, if supporting the Flashback controller is a value add then you'll have to leave it in (or make it optional). But generally this sort of behavior will become more common on NES, SNES, SMS, and certain types of Genesis controllers as they all age.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know I’m a bit late to the party but I also, as the former host of The Atari Report want to thank you as well for being one of those who inspired me to not only get my first 7800, but a couple of years later a second one, in which is being repaired as of this coming week. 

The name Bob Decrecenzo @PacManPlus will forever synonymous with this forgotten console and I have nothing but great respect and praise for his work on this system. I have had the pleasure of not only playing his games but also reviewing them during my short 18 month run of The Atari Report, it was UniWarS that got me onboard the 7800 scene as well as the pre-production of the Concerto multicart in which I intend to get another one of before the end of the year and the rest came later with @Trebor’s game pack and that helped grease the wheels. 

#ThankYouBob for everything you’ve done for the Atari community, your work will forever be remembered!!!

Ray Jackson

former host, The Atari Report

AtariAge user: BIGHMW 

• Like 1