IGNORED

Reproduction 7800 emblem plates

JrPac

3 hours ago, JrPac said:

I could include very faint gray guide lines on the product, but they'd still be there after you install. What do y'all think?

Guide lines wouldn't bother me at all, but you could also just state a measurement of how far in someone should go to make the bend (1/8th inch, so many millimeters, etc.) The more details you've given about this project makes it sound very promising.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JrPac said:

I am sticking to gray for the time being. If they sell well enough I’ll explore variations (definitely would like to do the PAL version as well if it’s feasible). 

Gray looks good (as do the Rainbow versions, with the independent being my favorite), but I'd buy a PAL version in a heartbeat... been wanting to track down a PAL shell for a while now, but if you end up making PAL stickers, hell, that'll be good enough for me. Love the Vader version too!

If they get the grain horizontal, these will look pretty much dead-on. Filling in the holes on top like Crossbow said is probably the route i'll go.. I'm sure i can sand it it down, blend it in and you'd never know it's there once the sticker is installed. Keep up the great work! 🍻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Guide lines wouldn't bother me at all, but you could also just state a measurement of how far in someone should go to make the bend (1/8th inch, so many millimeters, etc.) The more details you've given about this project makes it sound very promising.

Glad to hear! Thanks for the feedback.

5 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Gray looks good (as do the Rainbow versions, with the independent being my favorite), but I'd buy a PAL version in a heartbeat... been wanting to track down a PAL shell for a while now, but if you end up making PAL stickers, hell, that'll be good enough for me. Love the Vader version too!

If they get the grain horizontal, these will look pretty much dead-on. Filling in the holes on top like Crossbow said is probably the route i'll go.. I'm sure i can sand it it down, blend it in and you'd never know it's there once the sticker is installed. Keep up the great work! 🍻

Thanks also for the feedback! Honestly I think I prefer the PAL version too 😜

Confirmed with the company the horizontal grain is 100% doable and the next round of prints will have em 👍

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Any chance of them coming pre-angle bent? Kinda like using a break in metal work?

I would love to, but that's not something the manufacturer can do and I don't have the equipment to do so either.

Current priority list seems to be:

1. NTSC (gray text)
  2. PAL
  3. NTSC (Vader)
  4. NTSC (rainbow)
Edited by JrPac
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, CanadianTenor said:

So, to clairfy, to make this easy for the end user, is this basically a sticker that goes overtop the existing plate? If yes, that's up my ally as i cant assemble anything.

Close...it requires you to remove the original metal plate and then apply this over the space the old plate was stuck too. So to apply this you need to remove the old plate and all of the old adhesive off the shell. Then fill in the holes or something similar as has been stated. And then apply this new decal in that spot to simulate the look of the metal plate.

5 hours ago, CanadianTenor said:

So, to clairfy, to make this easy for the end user, is this basically a sticker that goes overtop the existing plate? If yes, that's up my ally as i cant assemble anything.

As Crossbow said, you must still remove the original metal plate and adhesive. But I am trying to make it as streamlined as possible 🙂

(If only the original didn't have the embossed lettering, otherwise that would actually totally work).

Hypothetically, after removing the old plate you would apply an included pre-cut cardstock strip as a foundation layer to smooth out the surface and conceal the holes.

You'd then prepare the decal by pre-bending the ends on either side, and finally apply the decal on top.

I'm admittedly a little confused at all the emphasis on filling and sanding the holes. I really don't see how epoxy would be easier than peeling and sticking a strip of cardstock 😆

Edited by JrPac
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JrPac said:

I'm admittedly a little confused at all the emphasis on filling and sanding the holes. I really don't see how epoxy would be easier than peeling and sticking a strip of cardstock 😆

lol. Pretty much this.

That strip of woodgrain pattern vinyl looked really fine on your 7800 also.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JrPac said:

Not meant to be easier... but long term I think it would hold up better than a layer of cardstock or other fibrous/porous material? The card stock method is actually much easier than filling and sanding. 

• Like 5

I would love to have a version of the rainbow badge with trans pride colors, that would be dopesauce. I'd probably have to buy a new Atari 7800 to use it if I ever purchased or made such a thing, I want to keep the one I have now as stock as possible for as long as possible.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

lol. Pretty much this.

That strip of woodgrain pattern vinyl looked really fine on your 7800 also.

That's a peek of something else I'm trying out 😜

4 hours ago, harmonyFM said:

I would love to have a version of the rainbow badge with trans pride colors, that would be dopesauce. I'd probably have to buy a new Atari 7800 to use it if I ever purchased or made such a thing, I want to keep the one I have now as stock as possible for as long as possible.

That would be pretty!! Sadly the manufacturer has a minimum so it would still end up being like $40 for a one off.

Edited by JrPac
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:47 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Not meant to be easier... but long term I think it would hold up better than a layer of cardstock or other fibrous/porous material? The card stock method is actually much easier than filling and sanding. 

I think it'd be better AND easier....in filling the holes you only have ONE piece (the final strip) to line up and apply to be done. In applying cardstock (not having seen it I am curious what this stick'em cardstock is...) you have to line that up, hope THAT adhesive sticks forever, then line the vinyl up PERFECTLY on top of that (I think that will be a double pain on the small bends on either side). Vinyl is pretty forgiving at giving you a few shots to line things up but eventually you peel it off and on try #3 or #5 it starts to curl....and I at least know ME....if that fucker ain't lined up perfect, my OCD says, you try again!

And again, I don't know how thick the stock is, but I'd want the stripe below or at worst flush with the console...does using the cardstock put the sticker ABOVE the rest of the case? Or level WITH the case? Maybe I'm biased....already have tons of plastic filler and super fine sandpaper. XD

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I think it'd be better AND easier....in filling the holes you only have ONE piece (the final strip) to line up and apply to be done. In applying cardstock (not having seen it I am curious what this stick'em cardstock is...) you have to line that up, hope THAT adhesive sticks forever, then line the vinyl up PERFECTLY on top of that (I think that will be a double pain on the small bends on either side). Vinyl is pretty forgiving at giving you a few shots to line things up but eventually you peel it off and on try #3 or #5 it starts to curl....and I at least know ME....if that fucker ain't lined up perfect, my OCD says, you try again!

And again, I don't know how thick the stock is, but I'd want the stripe below or at worst flush with the console...does using the cardstock put the sticker ABOVE the rest of the case? Or level WITH the case? Maybe I'm biased....already have tons of plastic filler and super fine sandpaper. XD

Pretty sure we are of the same mind on this LOL!

I haven't any plastic filler per se, but plenty of 2 part epoxy and shipping tape that can be used to do the same thing LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:35 AM, PacManPlus said:

I for one can vouch for him; he does AMAZING work - I've purchased a cocktail underlay and Control Panel overlays from him. :)

VERY talented individual.

Belated response, but: been following his work from the arcade side of things for, oh, probably over a decade at this point, and can say that his work is excellent.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 2:31 PM, JrPac said:

That's a peek of something else I'm trying out 😜

That would be pretty!! Sadly the manufacturer has a minimum so it would still end up being like $40 for a one off.

That's actually not as bad as I expected it to be I would pay that sum for such an object.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:35 AM, JrPac said:

Just sharing for fun, but here's what was on the console before I started this project. I designed and printed this label when I was probably 12 😆

image.jpeg

I would like a half dozen sets of these, but it would be cool if the metalic strip was full length. Any way to make that happen, please?