IGNORED

[CLOSED] Lynx High Score Club 2023: Round 6 - APB and LynxJam Millennial Game Dance Bro!

jgkspsx

Atari Lynx High Score Club

HSC rules

This round we’ll be playing APB for the first time since 2011 (??) and seeing if somebody can beat @Ninjabba’s amazing score. We'll also be taking on the unique breakdancing Kaboom!-like Dance, Bro! from the 2022 Millennial Games Lynx Jam!

Round Over: Tuesday August 1 (full points), Sunday October 1st (rank points only) 2023 12:01am US Pacific

APB is cheap and easy to find physically and not widely ported. The last time we did a challenge for it was 2011 (!), and it's time to try it again. We're also trying out a unique game from the 2022 Millennial Games Lynx Jam, recently released on a physical cart: 

APB

Manual / instructions / discussion: https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=2439

Settings - N/A

HSC Record: 51170 by @Ninjabba

Description: Catch lawbreakers, eat donuts, and avoid demerites at all costs. See how long you can last without getting fired!

Bonus Challenge: This one might be a toughie. Make it a week on the job! Take a screenshot of the Day 7 results page to earn 5 extra ranking points! [Bonus available all season]

Scores:

1. Ninjabba - 13535

2. jeremiahjt - 9190

3. jgkspsx - 5275

4. MichaG - 4445

5. Your name here!

* Achieved bonus points

Dance, Bro!

The downloadable and cartridge versions score the same, so feel free to use your brand new cartridge if you have it!

Manual / instructions / discussion: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/345215-new-game-dance-bro/

Download link: https://oldatatari.itch.io/dance-bro (or buy it here)

Settings: N/A

HSC Record: First year!

Description: Catch the heart and fire emoji, avoid the frowny faces and poop. Much like real life. You get extra points for catching good emojis on the tops of your hands while spinning or your feet while doing the splits. It's pretty much interpretive dance on the Lynx!

Bonus Challenge: Score 50 points for two extra ranking points! [Bonus available all season]

IMG_7676.thumb.jpeg.8880a2f0c498c7072be3d528497ac477.jpeg

Scores:

1. OldAtAtari - 90*

2. jgkspsx - 81*

3. jeremiahjt - 43

4. Ninjabba - 40

5. MichaG - 33

* Achieved bonus points

Current season point standings:

Name Total Total Retail Total Indie
agradeneu 325 100 200
JagChris 285 285 0
jblenkle 115 90 0
jeremiahjt 599 499 100
jgkspsx 1095 501 594
KidGameR186496 127 102 0
MichaG 1077 472 580
Ninjabba 501 178 298
Rick Dangerous 1050 474 576
Songbird 127 0 102
thegoodwillgamer 113 88 0
tripled79 211 92 94

Any corrections please post. Please put your score in text in your post please to make my life a little easier. Thanks for joining us!

• Like 4

Today is my birthday, and I can't think of a better gift from the Atari community than this. I definitely need to get the Lynx out of storage and show you all what a high score really looks like! Joking. You all will probably crush me! If you have any trouble with the game, let me know.

• Thanks 2

As a kid unable to understand the English manual it took me some days to figure out you need to use the siren on the traffic cones. 

Now its easily one of my favorites on the system! Chase those crack addicts and hookers! I was a little too young to understand what was going on 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Say @jeremiahjt @MichaG @Rick Dangerous and @Ninjabba, I miss you!

Everyone else too, but especially the regulars.

Seeing as it's summertime and a lot of people are taking vacations and/or working like crazy, I am going to extend the bonuses for this one all season. Which is only two more months... let's make it count!

• Like 2

I forgot how difficult APB is, but its a really good game. I don't think I will ever beat that high score from back in the days again. Played it on Mednafen

APB: 9255

Dance Bro: 40

Screenshotfrom2023-07-3116-11-12.thumb.png.a49aee3c9f26b481222c7bcaabdcfa70.pngScreenshotfrom2023-07-3116-18-00.thumb.png.d42118231e36dbc72985449fb320f24b.png

Btw, if you're curious about how the map of APB looks like as a whole, I found a map for the Amiga which shows different graphics but I believe the layout is the same. I always regarded it as a predecessor of GTA for some reason...

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I think APB could be a fun game if not for the demerit system.  It is ridiculously easy to get them, and as far as I know they never reset.

iirc you can get rid of demerit every so many points (10k maybe?), though playing the game for the first time in years again makes it feel impossible to get to such a score, but I'll give it a few shots.

On highway 10 you can easily get a lot of gas and time if you keep on driving. I remember I always found it difficult to get to the same result when moving away from this road, maybe the map helps.

Edit: new APB score: 13535

Found a hint saying that every 5K points you remove a demerit, so its not impossible. Still though, the moment I start on a highway other than 10 I find it very difficult to balance gas and time. I keep going back to the same highway for this reason.

Screenshotfrom2023-08-0117-37-47.thumb.png.ed58ab39fce46ba53529091498ba5a58.png

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Thanks 1