IGNORED

FujiNet N: Handler needs your help to make it better!

Hello all,

I am writing here because I am asking for some help improving the N: handler.

Specifically, there are a couple of things missing from it:

* Burst mode transfers
* Binary Loader for MyDOS and SpartaDOS

The first, is important because currently the N: device only transfers data to the FujiNet at 127 bytes a time (relying on minus flag).

The N: device passes data directly to the FujiNet over SIO, and can accept transfers up to 65535 bytes in length, at a time. This should be carried over into the N: handler to make things as fast as possible.

The second, is that the N: handler doesn't implement CIO calls 39 and 40, which are used by SpartaDOS and MyDOS to load binary files, and it prevents these operating systems from loading programs directly over the N: device.

I know there are some in the ranks of ABBUC who could really help here, and it would make the N: device all that more usable if somebody could take a look at it and improve it, I literally put together just enough to work under most operating systems and language environments. There is great potential in the N: device, and I want to see everyone use it to bring the Atari into the 21st century.

---

A bit about the N: handler:

It is a CIO device that adds support for the FujiNet network device. It allows any program that can use CIO devices, to read and write data to and from the network via a set of protocol adapters which create a clean and simple I/O channel between the Atari and the network beyond.

Some of the network adapters:

* TCP
* UDP
* TELNET
* FTP
* HTTP/HTTPS
* SSH
* SMB (windows file share)
* TNFS (the standard FujiNet file server protocol)

The N: device maps to SIO devices $71 through $74 as N1: to N4: with N: being N1:

And the commands that are implemented, are specified here:
https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/SIO-Commands-for-Device-IDs-%2471-to-%2478

The source code to the N: handler is here, it's written in mads assembler:
https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-nhandler/tree/master/handler

This handler is also placed on every single DOS disk that is in the DOS folder on apps.irata.online in Atari_8-bit.

Again, if anyone can help, it would greatly improve the usability of this handler. I can also help anyone understand what is possible with this handler.

-Thom

• Like 1