IGNORED

Atari lynx as an alternative way to play many genesis & snes games on it???

johannesmutlu

The atari lynx was a very powerful beast for it’s time with it’s color lcd screen and optionally digital sound,

while it’s main cpu is 8bits but it is clocked at 4mhz and it does also have a 16bits ppu and blitter chip,it does have sprite scaling and limited flat shaded polygon support among other features,sadly it lacks a hard reset feature wich the sega genesis & snes does support,but it can be simulated by isolating the ram by disconnecting and rejoining those necesary pins back together (wich also did make a sd flashcard with os menu just became possible,also games larger then 512KB will became possible as well as having multiple games on  1 single card will become possible) ,it also does lack support for baclkgrounds but it can be mimicked with sprites as well,and with those features in mind some games on the genesis & snes were also on the atari lynx with quality close to it’s 16bit home consoles counterpart,as if they tried to simulated both the snes & genesis experiences on the go with the atari lynx With games such as lemmings,hard driving,steel talons,desert strike,rampard,pitch fighter,,ms pac man and shadow of the beast etc,,,

And with that said you can go to your best friends house for wich some of them do own a snes while the other one owns a sega genesis but in wich both do have those same games you do own on the lynx,then tell those friends ‘screw you all i can play those games portibly whenever and wherever i want,

or if you own a snes or a genesis and you play those games athome but then you have to go but you still want to play those games,well just grab your atari lynx with those games you also own on the genesis or snes and play on those games during a bus trip to school or work and enjoy,

damn if only i did had an atari lynx,a snes and genesis along with thise mentioned games back in the 90’s ,i definitely would,ve done that,

By the way if you loved those mentioned games than you didn’t per se needed a snes or genesis to play those games,you || just could play those games on the go or just athome on your atari lynx,also some snes games were on the lynx but not on the genesis or vice versa such as ninja gaiden 3 and todd’s adventure in slime world etc,,, just to name a few,

but i sometimes do wonder how would exclusive home console games such as supermarioworld & sonic the hedge hog or yoshi’s island would,ve run on the lynx, maybe those homebrewers could give us the ansure to it,trough they do have proven that mortal kombat runs pretty well on the lynx in nearly it’s fully glory,so let’s hope for more😁

Also because the lynx is way better and cooler then that rawish gameboy,

64AED091-3742-48F9-A345-A77AAE66AC4A.jpeg

Edited by johannesmutlu

I guess this is a recurring topic because people do recognize the power of our beloved handheld and I'll throw in my 2 cents..

The Lynx has enough capabilities to pretty much run most of the famous IPs like Mario/Yoshi games. Lots of untapped potential and a real shame how some projects were cancelled towards the end (Eye of the Beholder ~ eternal shame). Think about how it took Nintendo 22 years after the Lynx was released to run 3D graphics on the GBA.

Zaku showed a lot of this potential when it comes to big sprites, high frame rate, fast action. I managed create a JRPG for the Lynx, a hugely popular genre with zero games for the Lynx, though I'll be the first to admit that my game doesn't push the hardware limits other than endless memory management.

Most of us homebrewers will show no interest in working on existing IPs without a license, simply because it will get us in trouble for no good reason. The Mortal Kombat project is the first time I see people trying to use an existing IP. That project actually demonstrates the difficulties of taking an existing game and porting it to the Lynx, sprites are not optimized, resolutions and aspect ratios are different, they need to make a lot of choices to stay faithful to the original game.

• Like 1

The atari lynx is keeping surprising us in it’s capabilities,for instance an sd card should,ve been impossible since it lacks the hard reset feature unlike the dev-kit version wich does contain a hardreset feature for testing,BUT likely for us an sd card for the lynx just became possible by faking a hard reset by isolating & deisolating the ram and here we are,now we can stiff all those cool exciting lynx demos and homebrew games on it and let’s hope that homebrewers will find a way to circumvent the copyright law by changing the name of those ip games,let’s say we want to port yoshi’s island to the lynx to take advantage of it’s polygonal & sprite scaling capabilities,then we can just call it ‘dinosaur island,and for porting donkeykong country to the atari lynx,we can call it ‘monkey continent’ while street fighter 2 on the lynx should be called ‘trouble streets’ etc,,just to name a few,,,, this old trick will not last for long but it’s to me the only way to be convinced about it’s potential capabilities,

now i have already pumped up my sd card with tons of games,demos and homebrews on it and i can only wish & hope for more🙏😁

B07F2BD3-E898-4588-9E08-B9FEAFC17513.jpeg

31 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

The atari lynx is keeping surprising us in it’s capabilities,for instance an sd card should,ve been impossible since it lacks the hard reset feature unlike the dev-kit version wich does contain a hardreset feature for testing,BUT likely for us an sd card for the lynx just became possible by faking a hard reset by isolating & deisolating the ram and here we are,now we can stiff all those cool exciting lynx demos and homebrew games on it and let’s hope that homebrewers will find a way to circumvent the copyright law by changing the name of those ip games,let’s say we want to port yoshi’s island to the lynx to take advantage of it’s polygonal & sprite scaling capabilities,then we can just call it ‘dinosaur island,and for porting donkeykong country to the atari lynx,we can call it ‘monkey continent’ while street fighter 2 on the lynx should be called ‘trouble streets’ etc,,just to name a few,,,, this old trick will not last for long but it’s to me the only way to be convinced about it’s potential capabilities,

now i have already pumped up my sd card with tons of games,demos and homebrews on it and i can only wish & hope for more🙏😁

B07F2BD3-E898-4588-9E08-B9FEAFC17513.jpeg

Sadly, i doubt just changing the title is safe enough to publicly share the port of a copyrighted product =[

1 hour ago, xhul said:

Sadly, i doubt just changing the title is safe enough to publicly share the port of a copyrighted product =[

Well maybe we can trust such practics to those chinese homebrewers because they always seem to get away with this,that’s what it seems to be,till then we can yet only enjoy those homebrew games on our beloved systems as well as comercial releases and cancled ones,

but stil,,, i wonder what the future will hold for us😁

C3AD9C6B-F1EF-4F5A-AF7B-B8B85EA320B6.png