IGNORED

Lunar Lander Beyond (by Atari) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

Looks good but i certainly won't be buying it if it doesn't come to the Atari VCS 800. I mean looking at the gameplay trailer this needs to be on the Atari VCS 800 and taking advantage of the Classic Joystick and spinner. If it comes to the Atari VCS 800 ill support the game and purchase it on every other platform. It's criminal if this doesn't come to the VCS, the VCS wouldn't even break a sweat running this game it just makes no sense. I could boot the VCS into PC mode and play it that way but support for the Classic Joystick and spinner feature is poor to non existent outside the Atari OS. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Looks good but i certainly won't be buying it if it doesn't come to the Atari VCS 800. I mean looking at the gameplay trailer this needs to be on the Atari VCS 800 and taking advantage of the Classic Joystick and spinner. If it comes to the Atari VCS 800 ill support the game and purchase it on every other platform. It's criminal if this doesn't come to the VCS, the VCS wouldn't even break a sweat running this game it just makes no sense. I could boot the VCS into PC mode and play it that way but support for the Classic Joystick and spinner feature is poor to non existent outside the Atari OS. 

I would be surprised if this and a lot of the new Atari titles don't come to the VCS, and the reason I'm saying this is that Wade Rosen proclained in his newest interview that the Atari VCS is the showcase for Atari's new titles. Go watch it, he is nothing at all like I imagined him. Very cool and down to earth guy, and it seems his priorities are very much in order. He also stated his interest in exploring more Jaguar and Lynx material, very cool for those who have those platforms. He also gives dates for games that are upcoming. I feel really energized about Atari's future, he seems to be the right guy with the right vision to bring them forward. I'm kinda fanboying him right now and cheering him on. He mentions Al in a very positive light (rightly so) and talks a lot about how awesome Nolan Busnell is. Go Wade!                  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, buescherking said:

I would be surprised if this and a lot of the new Atari titles don't come to the VCS, and the reason I'm saying this is that Wade Rosen proclained in his newest interview that the Atari VCS is the showcase for Atari's new titles. Go watch it, he is nothing at all like I imagined him. Very cool and down to earth guy, and it seems his priorities are very much in order. He also stated his interest in exploring more Jaguar and Lynx material, very cool for those who have those platforms. He also gives dates for games that are upcoming. I feel really energized about Atari's future, he seems to be the right guy with the right vision to bring them forward. I'm kinda fanboying him right now and cheering him on. He mentions Al in a very positive light (rightly so) and talks a lot about how awesome Nolan Busnell is. Go Wade!                  

Wait, Wade actually acknowledged the Atari VCS 800 existence? Ill definitely check out his newest interview thanks for the info 😀. It sounds like things are just getting better and better for the Atari VCS now, what a turn around. I really hope your right and we eventually get Lunar Lander Beyond. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

The last update I remember from @davpa regarding Lunar Lander Beyond was that the developers did not have a VCS 800 dev system and Atari was having trouble getting them one. Maybe that has changed, but maybe not.

I see. I would have thought there would have been no problem getting a dev kit out to developers, from what i read on Discord a while back was that stock bricked VCS systems that get sent back to Atari just get re flashed with dev OS and sent back out to developers and that Atari was sitting on a backlog of returned systems that got bricked in the update process, so kinda weird its a case of the developer not having a development kit that's holding the game back from the Atari VCS, if that is the issue though hopefully the developer now has a development kit and we will get the game at some point. I think it would play great on the VCS, its where id be wanting to play it for sure.

10 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I see. I would have thought there would have been no problem getting a dev kit out to developers, from what i read on Discord a while back was that stock bricked VCS systems that get sent back to Atari just get re flashed with dev OS and sent back out to developers and that Atari was sitting on a backlog of returned systems that got bricked in the update process, so kinda weird its a case of the developer not having a development kit that's holding the game back from the Atari VCS, if that is the issue though hopefully the developer now has a development kit and we will get the game at some point. I think it would play great on the VCS, its where id be wanting to play it for sure.

When I asked about the status of Murtops- a game that was announced for VCS,  David said they had problems getting the developer's VCS system through customs, that was the holdup.

I don't know what to think of this new Lunar Lander game based on trailers.   Seems like they are turning a simple "land on the moon" game into a whole space adventure.    Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, but Atari has other space games that might be more suitable for that kind of treatment.

45 minutes ago, zzip said:

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with it, but Atari has other space games that might be more suitable for that kind of treatment.

The trailer does show landing being a major part of the gameplay so I think it makes sense. I really like the ominous trailer. It is undercut a little by floating pink elephants, though... what is that about?

CleanShot2023-10-10at13_38_32.png.da0212d27b18af82e30a9ffe8c64512d.png

18 minutes ago, stirrell said:

The trailer does show landing being a major part of the gameplay so I think it makes sense. I really like the ominous trailer. It is undercut a little by floating pink elephants, though... what is that about?

CleanShot2023-10-10at13_38_32.png.da0212d27b18af82e30a9ffe8c64512d.png

It seems to be an in-joke or part of the story. Star Trek Lower Decks recently had space koalas, and Star Wars Ahsoka had space whales, so perhaps this is a new trope for sci fi space opera. "And what's with those celestial pink elephants?!"

I liked the straight-ahead, no bullshit nature of the Recharged games, so this story padding is a bit of a turn-off for me. I'll wait for reviews before I jump into this. Not feeling it in the same way as the other recent Atari retreads. 

image.thumb.png.e8ece9a93c2809bcb50c3f9e2f89b46d.png

16 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Star Wars Ahsoka had space whales

For years No Man's Sky fans demanded Space Whales.   Starglider II in the 80s had Space Whales, and I doubt it originated there.    There's some space whale meme I'm not up on, and Ahsoka is the latest iteration of it.   Someday when I'm bored enough, I'll look into where this idea originates.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zzip said:

For years No Man's Sky fans demanded Space Whales.   Starglider II in the 80s had Space Whales, and I doubt it originated there.    There's some space whale meme I'm not up on, and Ahsoka is the latest iteration of it.   Someday when I'm bored enough, I'll look into where this idea originates.

Oh interesting. It does seem like a 1970s idea. 

Here's a nice essay https://wanderingwhaleroad.wordpress.com/2021/01/03/history-of-the-space-whale/

and a jokey take on it https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceWhale

Seems like something Carl Sagan might have dreamed up for OMNI magazine or something similar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marss said:

The free demo available is for Windows.
At the moment, the game is really not optimised, and runs really poorly even on a gaming PC, as well as Atari VCS level system.
When the game struggles to get a good FPS on higher-end hardware, it's certainly not ready for release, and definitely not on VCS.

After trying the demo, my interest is less. I'd rather see a Lunar Lander: Recharged type game, on the VCS.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched one of Davids Twitch streams today and he seems to remain optimistic that the game is still coming to the Atari VCS 800 although from the impression i got the developer is trying to claim that the game might not be capable of running on the Atari VCS 800 hardware which i call absolute rubbish on, the game demo runs on the Atari VCS 800 in PC mode, poorly but it still runs. The game also runs poorly on my brothers gaming PC which has an RTX 3060 gpu and a Ryzen 3600x CPU and from what David also said on his stream the game is running poorly across multiple platforms including the PS4, Xbox series X etc. I think this game is simply poorly coded and poorly optimized and hopefully it can be fixed in the end and put on the Atari VCS 800, there's simply no reason for it to not happen. This is not a big game, Doom Eternal is a big game which I've had up and running on my Atari VCS in PC mode 720p with low and medium settings so i don't see why we cant have a smaller game like Lunar Lander Beyond. The VCS is 20% more capable than the Nintendo Switch so if the game goes to the Nintendo Switch it would be a case of the developer not going to make enough cash in software sales from the VCS version meaning its not worth putting in the effort and porting it over.

• Like 1

if you switch your desktop resolution to 720 it runs pretty well.  Even if they just tweaked the sprite graphics for the lower resolution, I don't see why they couldn't put it on the VCS.

They should, because it looks pretty damn good.  There are some unfortunate concessions to modernity like the Stabilizer button, but the pace and handling seem pretty good.  The level design and the challenges of collecting everything I can see being one of those great score chasers like Pilotwings.  Didn't pay much attention to the RPG-type mechanics, but there's some interesting things going on there, like you pilots can get demoted if you screw up.

If the price is right, this could definitely be a feather in their cap, and VCSers would eat it up for sure.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, RadiATIon said:

Unfortunately still not the atarivcs logo that would confirm the release also on our machines.

At the very end of this article it says it is coming to the VCS. 

Since it is an interview- as opposed to simply a press release... hopefully it is accurate.

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2024/01/16/developers-talk-expanding-a-classic-games-universe

11 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

At the very end of this article it says it is coming to the VCS. 

Since it is an interview- as opposed to simply a press release... hopefully it is accurate.

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2024/01/16/developers-talk-expanding-a-classic-games-universe

I've seen that. But who to believe? A journalist who says AtariVCS at the bottom of the page (did he copy and paste from another previous Atari game?) Or Atari ?

I'm holding out hope that this comes out on the VCS. It seems like such a good match for the classic controller (provided that you don't need too many buttons). I will probably pick it up on Steam and still try it out on the VCS, but I would love to see a VCS port with classic support.