IGNORED

BupBoop! (Rikki & Vikki)

SainT

21 hours ago, Trebor said:

To be clear on the setup and layout:

RnV\Data

RnV\Music

Inside the RnV\Data folder path: FoxBox.binFoxBox.cdfFoxBox.gdf, BupBoopConv.exe.

Inside the RnV\Music folder path: 37 *.mus files, 3 *.ins files, 3 *.smp files.

image.png.134c44efc7614df62fdcb18976213014.png

image.png.a5fa062e31f09cc4fabeedbecabdce37.png

image.thumb.png.7e8b9be4889c40415e7b27277b3c2ff2.png

From inside the RnV\Data folder path, the command is ran: BupBoopConv -c FoxBox.cdf

image.png.182c666eda8aa36fd26ec795e38cb105.png

It will process as follows:

Converting audio from 'Rikki & Vikki'...
Calculating normalisation...
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_0.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_1.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_2.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Sand.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Flame.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Bubble.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Metal.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Dut.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_DutWarp.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Boss_S.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Boss_C.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_S.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_C.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_F.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Title.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Menu.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Story.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_GameOver.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_HighScore.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_R.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_V.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_C.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_F.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Linguistic.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Never_Lose.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Together.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Staff.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_End.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_0.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_1.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Irregular.mus...
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_3.mus...
Rendering audio with x2.27 normalisation...
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_0.mus... 12.80s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_1.mus... 117.33s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Rock_2.mus... 51.20s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Sand.mus... 102.40s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Flame.mus... 149.33s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Bubble.mus... 153.60s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Metal.mus... 119.47s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Dut.mus... 85.33s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_DutWarp.mus... 44.80s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Boss_S.mus... 83.20s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Boss_C.mus... 97.33s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_S.mus... 83.20s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_C.mus... 74.67s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Misery_F.mus... 59.73s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Title.mus... 58.67s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Menu.mus... 59.73s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Story.mus... 42.67s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_GameOver.mus... 14.94s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_HighScore.mus... 17.07s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_R.mus... 9.81s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_V.mus... 9.81s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_C.mus... 9.81s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Clear_F.mus... 24.88s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Linguistic.mus... 51.20s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Never_Lose.mus... 46.93s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Together.mus... 43.47s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Staff.mus... 85.34s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_End.mus... 6.40s, unlooped.
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_0.mus... 2.00s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_1.mus... 18.33s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Irregular.mus... 280.42s, looped.
  ..\Music\RV_Dissolve_3.mus... 2.05s, unlooped.
Generating A78 file from 'FoxBox.bin'...

Done!

It creates a new folder 7800GD inside the RnV\Data path:

image.png.a2f9cf487af2de40a6995aca9e30f381.png

The RnV\Data\7800GD folder contains:

image.png.bf40e2f94fcc6562e672d908f1948bbc.png

The  RnV\Data\7800GD\Rikki&Vikki contains:

image.thumb.png.8031555336757afe40daa9e4b41fe6bb.png

Items to note:

1. I receive a nothing happens and just goes back to the prompt result when the necessary files in the data folder were not present.

2. The root folder utilized in this example "RnV" can be named anything.  The name of the root folder does not matter.

I followed this guide, doublechecked everything, ran it twice and still... nothing. I'm even more baffled than I was before.

21 hours ago, Ouzy said:

Is there another version executable of BupboopConv available as the version posted by @laoowon't run on my Windows 10 (32 bit) os. It gives an error message of BupboopConv.exe is not compatible with the version of windows youre running.

😞

If I won't forget and find the time - I could make 32-bit executable too.

• Like 3

Playing with a megadrive pad and the Mega7800 is fantastic for helping you progress through trickier parts of games. Just hit Z to save the game and any problems just hit X to reload! I've used it a lot in Impossible Mission. :D

• Like 6

1 minute ago, john_q_atari said:

Indeed. I got through E.X.O. last weekend with save states and now I can finally explore Bentley Bear Crystal Quest!

Don't forget to check out the cheats as well if you've not seen them... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SainT said:

Don't forget to check out the cheats as well if you've not seen them... :)

I downloaded the cheat file a week or two ago and will give them a try on something this weekend. If you have any suggestions for a game to try with the cheats I welcome suggestions. I think for now it's only original releases that have published cheats?

• Like 1

For your (in)convenience, I've dragged this tool kicking and screaming back into Visual Studio 6. This should work on Windows 95 up to whatever the current number is. I don't have a 7800GD to test with, but it seems to generate identical data to SainT's build.

If the attachment to this post doesn't work, it's also available here.

Pentium Pro or above is recommended, my apologies to all three of you still using 386es.

BupBoopConv.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Pentium Pro or above is recommended, my apologies to all three of you still using 386es.

The forum software doesn’t let me leave both a “Thank You” react and a laugh, so quoting here to note I literally snorted out loud. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TailChao said:

For your (in)convenience, I've dragged this tool kicking and screaming back into Visual Studio 6. This should work on Windows 95 up to whatever the current number is. I don't have a 7800GD to test with, but it seems to generate identical data to SainT's build.

If the attachment to this post doesn't work, it's also available here.

BupBoopConv.zip 47.59 kB · 4 downloads

Thank you so much @TailChaofor this. My little Intel Atom 270 laptop ran this fine albeit slooooww.. 

Really appreciate, sorry for the outdated machine my 64bit PC recently died and I haven't managed to buy a new one yet. 

🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TailChao said:

Unfortunately, identical all the way down to Windows Defender not liking it under Windows 10 - it is flagged as a virus and becomes deleted by default.

Hopefully though, between the 64-bit Visual Studio 2022 build, and the 32-bit Visual Studio 6 compiled executable, there is something that is usable for everyone who needs to convert the files.

34 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Unfortunately, identical all the way down to Windows Defender not liking it under Windows 10 - it is flagged as a virus and becomes deleted by default.

I am NOT experiencing that with Windows Defender in Win11. The unzipped folder is sitting happily on my PC desktop right now. 

EDIT: And just for kicks, even though I already have the digital download files from Stone Age Gamer, I ran @TailChao's build in Win11's PowerShell as a test:

image.thumb.png.f73fdf825365363c682ca768eeefd97a.png

Worked a treat for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I am NOT experiencing that with Windows Defender in Win11. The unzipped folder is sitting happily on my PC desktop right now. 

EDIT: And just for kicks, even though I already have the digital download files from Stone Age Gamer, I ran @TailChao's build in Win11's PowerShell as a test:

Worked a treat for me. 

Different strokes, different folks computers:

image.png.b6c496f00b5d908b9df1f428cd32607c.png

image.thumb.png.ef4387d410b479c3ab8f40a89796056a.png

As mentioned, between the two ( 64-bit Visual Studio 2022 build worked fine for me), everybody hopefully wins.

That is strange. I am also running Windows 10 64 bit with defender and it didn't complain about either of the convertor downloads. I made sure I am fully up to date with patches and virus defs as well.

Mitch

The "!ml" postfix on Windows Defender's alert indicates the threat was detected via a machine learning algorithm. While it's entirely possible both SainT and I have made a mistake, I am more confident in the stupidity of computers. If the issue persists, I'll submit the binary for whitelisting sometime next week.

On 7/27/2023 at 11:38 AM, laoo said:

If I won't forget and find the time - I could make 32-bit executable too.

I'm surprised a 64-Bit build worked at all. BupBoop's script decoder has some really filthy pointer arithmetic, and I never intended for it to run outside of a 32-Bit world without a big rewrite.

• Like 3

I'm having a strange issue with Riikki & Vikki on my AV modded Pal 7800. The volume levels of the music are constantly changing and occasionally drop to no sound. I also tested this on my RF 7800 that hasn't been modded and it does the same..video attached from my RF 7800. 

Does anyone have any ideas or is this normal behaviour?.

Edited by Ouzy
  • Like 2

I have had this intermittently, I thought it was related to removing and reinserting the memory card, though. I thought I’d actually fixed this issue as well!

If it’s still happening I will investigate. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Safety first!

I've submitted my build of BupBoopConv to Microsoft for analysis, looks like it's clean.

bupboopconv.zip

Submission ID: [REDACTED]

Submitted by: [REDACTED]

Submitted: Jul 29, 2023 9:52:55 AM

User Opinion: Incorrect detection

Analyst comments:

We cannot reproduce any detection on the file. If the detection is still observed, follow the steps below to capture support log files from the system reporting detection.

From an elevated command prompt, change to directory "%programfiles%\windows defender" and execute mpcmdrun.exe with option GetFiles: cd "%programfiles%\windows defender" mpcmdrun.exe -GetFiles

All created log files will be compressed into MPSupportFiles.cab. Please send us the detected file and MPSupportFiles.cab using https://aka.ms/wdsi. We will continue the investigation once we receive the support log files.

@Trebor, if you keep getting the Wacatac false positive send me a copy of your machine's logs as per the directions above (in the analyst comments section). Well, that was exciting. Time to go hide in my secret moon base for another year or two.

Edited by TailChao
  • Like 4

On 7/29/2023 at 6:10 PM, SainT said:

I have had this intermittently, I thought it was related to removing and reinserting the memory card, though. I thought I’d actually fixed this issue as well!

If it’s still happening I will investigate. 👍

I made the same observation. Not always. I feel like it happens at first and then doesn't.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 8:06 AM, pkerga said:

I made the same observation. Not always. I feel like it happens at first and then doesn't.

Same issue here. Music volume level is changing. Seems a little quiet most of the time and gets randomly louder for a few moments. Unmodded PAL 7800 ...

Edited by RamsesUTL
  • Like 1