IGNORED

Retrotink + Sophia? Advice needed.

15 hours ago, MagicMarc-er said:

One of my 1200xl's is modded with Sophia rev C and the picture is nice and clean but I really want scanlines.  Do you think I could convert the DVI to S-Video or Component and run that into the Retrotink 2x-Pro and then on to my monitor?  Does this sound crazy? 

yes, that sounds crazy

I used to have scanlines enabled in altirra just for that ol school look. 

On real hardware I guess a scanline generator or an upscaler with such functionality is an option. 

Or a permanent fine tipped marker and a ruler to draw on your display screen is an option. ;) Least it's cheap heh heh!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So much work has gone into ways to improve the video coming out of our machines, only to downgrade it with scan lines. Yes I understand it's to get the look and feel of viewing this on an old school CRT, but it just seems wrong to me :ponder:

Anyway probably if you Google it or pose the question to an AI, you will find various ways to achieve this. Good luck :)

• Like 2

I'll drink to that! You have to dig deep to get a real scanline ratio that will work like it should but it's science not fiction. Just use a real CRT or get a decent scanline inserter, generators that just cover stuff isn't the same. A mask generator plus inserter will give the best representation of a real crt.

https://www.digitalradical.com/why-did-older-graphics-look-better-on-crt-tvs/

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 7/18/2023 at 10:26 PM, MagicMarc-er said:

One of my 1200xl's is modded with Sophia rev C and the picture is nice and clean but I really want scanlines.  Do you think I could convert the DVI to S-Video or Component and run that into the Retrotink 2x-Pro and then on to my monitor?  Does this sound crazy? 

It is not crazy, i myself love to use my Retrotink 5x Pro with scanlines on my large TV. But i can't imagine that converting Sophias DVI-Signal to S-Video could beat the clean Signal from an UAV, and double converting would add considerable lag to the Video output. So i recommend just to add an UAV to your 1200XL for connecting it to the Retrotink.

• Like 1