IGNORED

Avoid Best Electronics

cwilbar

14 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Care to be a little more specific?

Well, I can't really. It just wouldn't except my CC. I did try a second time with my middle initial since it's on my card and on rare occasions a payment system requires it, but that was not it. I did not see any option for Paypal. Hopefully it doesn't trigger my cc company shutting down my credit card. 

7 minutes ago, Allan said:

Well, I can't really. It just wouldn't except my CC. I did try a second time with my middle initial since it's on my card and on rare occasions a payment system requires it, but that was not it. I did not see any option for Paypal. Hopefully it doesn't trigger my cc company shutting down my credit card. 

Reason I asked, sometimes I've had problems getting PayPal transactions to go through (and basically have had to wait till the next day to try again, after which it's worked fine); but I think the problem was on PayPal's side every time it happened (possibly due to me making multiple purchases on the same day at different vendors, and PayPal flagging as suspicious activity); because the vendor message was always something like "PayPal not available as payment method at this time; try again later".

I know this is going to sound weird, but Fax your orders to him. I navigate the website, find his part numbers, type up an old school letter that includes all of my particulars, include a credit card number and Fax away.

I have never been limited on the number of items I purchase, nor had any issue whatsoever. 

I realize that not everyone has access to a Fax machine these days, but there are plenty of free fax services like https://faxzero.com.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I told you it sounds weird, but when something works it works. There is zero interaction other than me sending a fax and then me opening a box. 

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it. I used to use fax quite a bit before, and I'm sure it's as easy as ever; but it really feels like taking a big step backward at this point. And, really, it's not even so much that, but the fact that one would need to consider using fax (if it wasn't something they were interested in using to begin with), when the vendor should be capable of accommodating at the very least good email transactions. In this day an age, you would really expect a minimum of online credit card, or possibly PayPal (even though I know PayPal is often avoided for the fees, especially by the "old timers"). I've come to expect quirks from these ancient Atari vendors, though; but I definitely like to have a laugh over some of their oddities (at least by modern standards) and unwillingness to adapt. So thanks! :D

I haven't forgotten the days of C.O.D., etc... 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I told you it sounds weird, but when something works it works. There is zero interaction other than me sending a fax and then me opening a box. 

Oddly enough, it sounds like we may have found the sweet spot for doing business with Best. :D  Gentlemen start your fax machines...

World War I Vintage GIF by US National Archives

😂 use your CX1850s Telegraph Me system. At least he's not like my grandparents, and giving orders in english no one understands or Mom using her rotary phone on the wall, so she could really hang-up on someone.  In my case, I never have the customer number, because orders never actually arrive. Somebody somewhere is getting awesome stuff, and likely tossing it. He never emails any tracking, or even tells me anything shipped. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrFish said:

Seriously? :lol:

Ummm, we're using 30+ year old computers. Does using a fax really seem crazy?

In my day, we walked to school, uphill, both ways and once we got home, we faxed our orders in.

AND WE LIKED IT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Havok69 said:

Ummm, we're using 30+ year old computers. Does using a fax really seem crazy?

Actually, that was my next question (didn't have time to type it out before I left for work earlier): does there exist any software on the Ataris for faxing? It would make the proposition a whole lot more interesting. I suppose you could connect any Fax/Modem, but there has to be some software support on the Atari side. It certainly seems within the time frame of the whole fax craze.

I only found one potential program in the Holmes collection, "File-Fax 2"; but it seems to be disk-cataloging software.

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

Actually, that was my next question (didn't have time to type it out before I left for work earlier): does there exist any software on the Ataris for faxing? It would make the proposition a whole lot more interesting. I suppose you could connect any Fax/Modem, but there has to be some software support on the Atari side. It certainly seems within the time frame of the whole fax craze.

This one sort of qualifies:

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-visifax_40221.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Allan said:

It is possible that PayPal was removed as an option or something similar. You see, it was the paypal transaction that gave their identity away to me in the first place. In the email they sent me, they stated that wasn't supposed to happen and they were working with PayPal on it to get that corrected. So perhaps PayPal isn't working for them at this time because of that?

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is possible that PayPal was removed as an option or something similar. You see, it was the paypal transaction that gave their identity away to me in the first place. In the email they sent me, they stated that wasn't supposed to happen and they were working with PayPal on it to get that corrected. So perhaps PayPal isn't working for them at this time because of that?

Trying to keep your identity a secret is slightly on the shady side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atari Nut said:

Trying to keep your identity a secret is slightly on the shady side.

I can understand that but again, the person or persons behind this new website and project and well known in the community and I don't have any reason to feel they would scam anyone or not stand behind the products they offer.

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I can understand that but again, the person or persons behind this new website and project and well known in the community and I don't have any reason to feel they would scam anyone or not stand behind the products they offer.

Let me re-phrase that comment.  Advertising a no "BS" experience but taking these measures to keep themselves a secret is introducing another form of "BS".  They should have to reason to fear Best or that they are selling Atari parts.  They should be proud.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

That's receive only. Cool though! It would be pretty neat to send a fax with an Atari, especially to Brad; the circle would be complete.

This sounds like a job for FujiNet! The only problem is it would have to use a service to convert the fax from an IP source to POTS analog, which would most likely be a paid service.

7 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

I think there was some discussion about this program before in one of the radio topics. It's geared towards WeFax (black & white mode only; there is a grayscale mode, used for satellite-map data), which is radio-transmitted weather fax data; interesting stuff in its own right.

On 7/20/2023 at 6:19 AM, kheller2 said:

They are testing BradBot GPT…..

BradBot is already a thing.  They created it on the one Panther prototype out there, and that's why it generally maxes out at 3 items each.  :P

To be fair to Brad, every time I've needed to order something from him, it's gone smooth.  There was some back and forth on one order, as I was trying to specifically order a the hook that holds the JaguarCD lid in place, and trying to describe exactly what that part was took a bit.  But I managed to get a replacement for it so I no longer had to sit something heavy on my 'Toilet' to keep the lid down!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Paypal button was returned that night and I used that to place an order.