IGNORED

Avoid Best Electronics

cwilbar

8 hours ago, MrFish said:

The assertion of this topic is "The buyer beware", rather than "The customer is always right".

You're missing my point; some customers are asses and should be kicked out. Sticking with the buyer beware theme, yes, beware - don't be an dummy and piss off the seller.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Havok69 said:

You're missing my point; some customers are asses and should be kicked out. Sticking with the buyer beware theme, yes, beware - don't be an dummy and piss off the seller.

Nah, I'm not missing anything. I'll be the first one to agree with that sentiment. But I thought it was directed at the OP, towards which it would evidently not be the case.

56 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Nah, I'm not missing anything. I'll be the first one to agree with that sentiment. But I thought it was directed at the OP, towards which it would evidently not be the case.

Well it was not directed at the OP, just a general statement in defense of how Brad runs his store. Just basically Brad can do what Brad wants; it's his business. You did miss that it wasn't directed at the OP. But good job, you figured it out!

:D

22 hours ago, Havok69 said:

Well it was not directed at the OP, just a general statement in defense of how Brad runs his store. Just basically Brad can do what Brad wants; it's his business. You did miss that it wasn't directed at the OP. But good job, you figured it out!

:D

Maybe we can have you put on the Best Electronics "Forget About" Customer/Public Relations Committee. It basically requires no participation whatsoever. In fact, even dead people are eligible for membership. :D

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2023 at 11:29 AM, Tickled_Pink said:

Unfortunately, it does mean that it probably puts an end to international shipping because of the cost of shipping from the US. Even small items can cost stupid amounts of money when ordering from over there.

Last time I ordered (a couple of years ago) he wouldn’t ship internationally and I used a remailing service. I don’t know what his minimum interval between two orders is, so the storage fees those charge might make it uneconomical to combine several orders. Some remailers allow some kind of membership scheme where you pay a flat fee to store stuff for combined shipping. You can also use these to go on a general US/Atari shopping spree ;-) .

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:57 AM, MrFish said:

Navigating a Best Electronics purchase...

1402380087_confusingsignage.thumb.jpg.2908520d8a78221566083ef291531854.jpg

Personally, I've never had a problem with Brad. I guess I'm a lucky one, but I've read enough of these posts and seen enough hints of his, let's call it quirkiness, in my dealings with him to know that they're all no doubt 100% true. And the ever-changing rules?! @MrFish, that's just too spot on not to be funny! I hope I don't get banned for posting on this thread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I guess I'm a lucky one...

I'm pretty sure most people do perfectly fine.

11 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I hope I don't get banned for posting on this thread.

Haha... I doubt he even reads these forums, much less minds that a few people have complaints.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

I'm pretty sure most people do perfectly fine.

Guy has been in business for decades, you don't do that by always being a pain.

This exact thread seems to come up once a year or so, and each time it's pretty much the same. I haven't ordered from Best in a very long time but there was a time I did regularly, and I never ended up facing the things people say happened to them. But I believe people are having issues. Brad just seems to have his own way of doing things and that's how it is, shrug.

21 hours ago, jhd said:

It would seem that one way to get around the various restrictions would be to simply recruit other people to order items on one's behalf.

If each order is limited to three items, for example, then recruit 5 relatives or friends to each place an order of three items -- voila, 15 items are ordered all at once. Unless everyone has the same mailing address, Brad would have no way of knowing that these are not unique and independent orders. If someone gets blacklisted, so be it as they would not care. 

Umm....be very careful with this approach.

I had someone from one of the forums contact me and ask me to place an order for them, in the interest

of saving shipping (or something like that, don't remember exactly?). I didn't think anything about it, just

did it.

I never got a follow up/verification e-mail from Best so I finally called. Seems Brad recognized the order

from this person's previous attempts. I couldn't tell you exactly what the beef was between the two of them,

whether is was too much of something or to little or restricted items or whatever...but Brad refused the order

and let me know the why of it. He wasn't mad at me, I've placed and received orders since with no issues at

all, but... <shrugs>

So yeah, just be careful.  :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I contacted Brad about a diagnostic disk for my XF551, and he told me that they had sold out years ago. He then told me he had NOS replacement mechs in stock if I wanted one. He informed me that it would be tested and shipped ASAP. I'm pretty sure that was on a Friday. On Monday (this was shipped from his shop on the west coast to me on the east coast) the new mech was at my house and my XF551 was up and running.

• Like 6

I just very recently placed, I think, my 3rd, or maybe 4th order (lifetime) from Best.  I sent an e-mail to Brad indicating the items I was interested it (part numbers, and descriptions copied from the website), along with the quantities I was requesting, and my zip code.  Later that same day, I received an e-mail response with pricing, availability, plus shipping costs.  A couple of days later I decided to change the quantities of one of the items, so I e-mailed a reply regarding this, and then asked for updated shipping costs (if affected).  A few hours later I received a reply with the information that I needed, regarding the changes.  After I got home from work that evening, I called in and gave my payment info over the phone...and 2 days later...I received my items...shipped from ~2400 miles away.  No complaints here.  

• Like 8

Looks like Best is gonna have some competition for their 5200 controller replacement parts (and supposedly more parts for other Atari consoles and computers in the future).

Atari Repair Parts

(be sure to read the fine print :D )

arp.thumb.png.7fcda5a544703c79b819744babbbeb8a.png

currentofferings.thumb.png.00616ec199ba730e7636a62396973777.png

about.thumb.png.c835ff73abcc26174c9cc885dd6132ea.png

Atari Repair Parts - 5200 Controller Parts Recommendation/Review

New gold plated 5200 CX-5200 mylar replacements (Not from Best Elect.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Looks like Best is gonna have some competition for their 5200 controller replacement parts (and supposedly more parts for other Atari consoles and computers in the future).

Funny you should mention this - I had a pair each of the mylars, keypad, fire buttons (technically two pairs), and function keys arrive today.  Got them installed and am currently putting them through their paces.

First impressions are good, and I'm comparing them against two other controllers with Best's Rev. 10 mylar in them.  I'll write this up in a bit more detail after I've had a chance to fiddle with them a bit more, but so far they look like a great alternative.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

First impressions are good, and I'm comparing them against two other controllers with Best's Rev. 10 mylar in them.  I'll write this up in a bit more detail after I've had a chance to fiddle with them a bit more, but so far they look like a great alternative.

Good, I'm looking forward to this, as I may buy a bunch of kits to refurbish some 5200 controllers ahead of PRGE.

..Al

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Good, I'm looking forward to this, as I may buy a bunch of kits to refurbish some 5200 controllers ahead of PRGE.

..Al

What would really be appreciated now would be reproduction joystick boots for the 5200.  Having functional buttons is a huge plus, but having better joystick feel would also be a massive improvement (and make a total controller rebuild much more of a possibility).

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

What would really be appreciated now would be reproduction joystick boots for the 5200.  Having functional buttons is a huge plus, but having better joystick feel would also be a massive improvement (and make a total controller rebuild much more of a possibility).

Considering that site has replacement 2600 joystick boots, maybe they can do the same for 5200 controllers.  :)

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Atari Repair Parts

(be sure to read the fine print :D )

about.thumb.png.c835ff73abcc26174c9cc885dd6132ea.png

Atari Repair Parts - 5200 Controller Parts Recommendation/Review

New gold plated 5200 CX-5200 mylar replacements (Not from Best Elect.)

Does anybody know who is behind this?

10 minutes ago, Allan said:

Does anybody know who is behind this?

If you read @-^CrossBow^-'s review in the 5200 forum (linked at the bottom of my post above), he says, "I do know who owns the website and is behind these products and I have the utmost trust in them and can recommend these without hesitation."; but he doesn't reveal who it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrFish said:

If you read @-^CrossBow^-'s review in the 5200 forum (linked at the bottom of my post above), he says, "I do know who owns the website and is behind these products and I have the utmost trust in them and can recommend these without hesitation."; but he doesn't reveal who it is.

That is because the owners told me not too as they wish to remain anonymous at this time. That said, a little sleuthing will likely get you on the right track. I actually did mention who it was in the original FB group post in the comments once I bought them. I the received a private email through FB from them to remove the comment and any mention of them. So I did...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Allan said:

I just tried ordering but their payment system is giving me problems. Hopefully they figure it out soon.

Strange, I didn't have any issues and just paid through PayPal. Only took a few days for them to arrive too which, was nice considering I chose the cheapest shipping method.