IGNORED

Avoid Best Electronics

cwilbar

4 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

The saddest part in all of this is that as Brad is getting older and more eccentric, and some point we are going to lose not only his knowledge, but also all the Atari parts that he won't let anybody help him with. I have dealt with Brad since the 90s, and spent a good amount of time on the phone learning from him. It's like two completely different people nowadays. I am willing to bet big money that he doesn't even know what he has anymore, and is not willing to find out. 

There is at least 1 other person working with Brad now...when I called my cc info the other week, Brad wasn't available, so I talked with this other guy...can't remember his name.  

8 hours ago, doubledown said:

There is at least 1 other person working with Brad now...when I called my cc info the other week, Brad wasn't available, so I talked with this other guy...can't remember his name.  

Well, Brad has always mentioned an Atari Super Tech working with him, so it might be his other personality...

Not sure of Brads Age, but I meet him back about 91 on a trip and he was older then me, and iam old today, any idea ? Iam thinking Late 70's or early 80's.

I bought from them a couple times in 80's keyboard switchs and springs. However *99% was B&C

• Like 1

Both Brad and Bruce are old enough to retire.  If they do or not probably just depends on health and desire.  Most farmers around me pretty much work till either body or mind failure.  

Common sense would say to buy what you want now because there are sure to be big changes down the road.  I have one more order from B&C that I  need to make this year just incase he retires and the inventory goes into limbo.  I have been putting it off due to other classic video/computer purchases, but I do need to get it done 'just incase'.  Those two companies have made it very easy for Atari collectors through the years.  Knowing that pretty much anything that you need is available for the Atari line has been very nice.  I have been buying from B&C since the mid 80's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mickster said:

Both Brad and Bruce are old enough to retire.  If they do or not probably just depends on health and desire.  Most farmers around me pretty much work till either body or mind failure.  

Common sense would say to buy what you want now because there are sure to be big changes down the road.  I have one more order from B&C that I  need to make this year just incase he retires and the inventory goes into limbo.  I have been putting it off due to other classic video/computer purchases, but I do need to get it done 'just incase'.  Those two companies have made it very easy for Atari collectors through the years.  Knowing that pretty much anything that you need is available for the Atari line has been very nice.  I have been buying from B&C since the mid 80's.

Sadly Bruce really hasn't been handling the Atari stuff, it's been the kid coming up behind him... whom tbh is no Bruce. It seemed weird that the (possibly estranged or ex)wife got involved in one of my transactions once claiming I owed some shipping from half a year before and just charged me for it without asking discussing or pointing to the exact, some such earlier error... of which I'd have no control over if said mistake were made. It was no surprise when there was turmoil later and they may have went separate ways. However, as the younger one got more involved later on, the knowledge and discussion dissipated and the prices rose. I don't think the kid (probably more than full grown) wants to work that hard. More than likely work less and make more was a thought in the kids mind. Can't say for sure since the it seems the takeover yields very little in the way service like in the old days, and you can't put a price on Bruces friendly style and knowledge.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

You know doc - I think this pretty much sums it up.  We are the last of a generation.  When we are gone, so goes the sum knowledge of our hobby.  But then again - I think of things like, there are still clubs for, and parts available for, Model A and T Fords.  If we can spur interest into the upcoming generations, the flame doesn't have to go out when we do.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

But then again - I think of things like, there are still clubs for, and parts available for, Model A and T Fords.

Same as with older (even ancient) styles of music and the instruments used to play them; and old guns, etc., etc.

Some things aren't going to remain the same, of course; but there's no reason why things can't/won't continue on some meaningful level (including parts supplies). I didn't live in Bach's time, but I get it; I wasn't born when the '55 Chevy (yeah, I know, most people would insert '57 here) came out, but I get it. There's no reason why future generations won't understand why we do what we do. Although, for some, they may have to reach a certain age (maturity), themselves, before they can relate enough to really appreciate what's going on.

According to @luckybuck, they use Atari 8-bit computers at universities in Germany to teach students about computer architecture and programming. We also have the venerable ABBUC in Germany. So, if, perhaps, Atari 8-bit computers don't survive so well in the rest of the world, they'll be alive and kicking in Germany. ;)

It's also worth noting that our Atari 8-bit computer hobby is connected with the 8-bit home computer hobby/interest as a whole (and, by extension, 8-bit game consoles). One machine tends to influence interest in the others. So, it's not like Atari 8-bit computers have to stand alone against time...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Its funny, back in the 1980's us teenagers used to laugh at those 50 year old dudes who hung out at classic car shows while listening to Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers records.

Today I have become that 50 year old with my Atari 8 bit hardware while listening to The Beastie Boys lol

If you think about it though, these days at least the 8 bit market is getting more notice than it had say 5-10 years ago. There is a company in Poland trying to develop and updated 800 XL, and the 8 bits were displayed quite a bit in the Atari 50 collection. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Can't say for sure since the it seems the takeover yields very little in the way service like in the old days, and you can't put a price on Bruces friendly style and knowledge.

I think it was in 2016 that I purchased a 65XE from Bruce, and when we got to talking about shipping details I mentioned that I would be staying up in my vacation home about 20 minutes from his location, and then suggested that I could pick it up. Well Bruce said better yet if I didn't mind he could drop it off after coming back from a hike. Latter that day he did indeed stop by with the computer, and he had thrown in a Star Raiders cart and an A/V cable contained in a genuine Atari bag from BITD. We sat and talked for at least an hour - it was very enjoyable and so nice to meet the man behind the business.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Although I ordered from B&C many times, I only met Bruce once -- at the 1998 World of Atari show in Vegas.  Both he and Bradley were there, but both were very busy with their booths.  Never had an issue with either business.  And have bought more stuff than I would probably would care to remember!

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

You know doc - I think this pretty much sums it up.  We are the last of a generation.  When we are gone, so goes the sum knowledge of our hobby.  But then again - I think of things like, there are still clubs for, and parts available for, Model A and T Fords.  If we can spur interest into the upcoming generations, the flame doesn't have to go out when we do.

When I was a very young teen, my Grandfather took me to meet his group of radiohead friends, who all had decrepit old crystal radios and sat around messing with them, modding them, and arguing. They smoked (inside!) and talked to each other in Morse Code. I rolled my eyes and thought "Oh man, look at these old fogeys. I will never be like that!" Now that I am a grandfather myself, the irony is strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, danwinslow said:

When I was a very young teen, my Grandfather took me to meet his group of radiohead friends, who all had decrepit old crystal radios and sat around messing with them, modding them, and arguing. They smoked (inside!) and talked to each other in Morse Code. I rolled my eyes and thought "Oh man, look at these old fogeys. I will never be like that!" Now that I am a grandfather myself, the irony is strong.

At least you're not talking to other people in SIO beeps (hopefully) ;)

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

This ain't Burger King.. you can't have it your way. 

Yep I totally agree. And just to add my 2 cents, I've always had good transactions with both Brad and Bruce. And I never hit a limit on the number of parts I could buy. Basically I always approached this keeping in mind that it's a one man operation with a huge warehouse full of pallets packed with parts. So I would create a spreadsheet listing the quantity, description, part number, and the price of each item I wanted which I had double checked against the addendum. I also added my name, address, phone number, and customer number, and then saved it as a PDF and attached it to an email to Brad. He would come back with a total price and any corrections that were needed, and I'd pay the bill. I would always be sure to wish him well and to thank him. Simple courtesy and respect in kind.

I know we'd all like to think that we are very good easy going customers...

• Like 1

I guess we kind of took for granted that Best and B&C would continue to operate unchanged forever.  I've had many good interactions with Bruce over the years (bought many a prototype from him back in the day too).  I've only dealt with Brad a few times and even back in the late 90s he was weird and ornery.  He wasn't as rude and eccentric as he is now, but I knew from the first interaction that friendly customer service wasn't his strong point.  Still, everything went smoothly with no issues.

I know Bruce has (had?) sone unreleased 8-Bit protos somewhere in the warehouse, I wonder if Brad has any?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:38 PM, zylon said:

He's always nice to me, but I rarely get my order. Last one was a 65xe mobo to fix one killed by MT ram, that got delivered to "God knows who", with all claims denied. Last successful order was over a year ago, and it got dropped off at main property office. I won't order again, unless I can choose anything but USPS. All that Atari box tape just begs "steal me", lol I have to keep it all small stuff, to have a chance of arrival.

porch-pirate.gif

Everybody has "bad experience" stories to tell about vendors.

I really like Bruce and B&C, but I had 1 bad experience with them. A few years ago I was looking for a replacement LCD

screen for my STacy and Bruce had a few. I ordered one, prepaying in advance. Bruce said he wanted to test it out before

sending it. I'm good with that. 3 months later, I inquired how things were going. Got a "really busy" answer. I waited a few

more months, wash-rinse-repeat x3 or so. Finally, after -1- year on the dot, I called and asked but got the same sort of

answer so I cancelled the order. All communications were friendly and above-board, BTW.

<shrugs>

• Sad 1

Thanks MrFish for the flowers. ;-)

Well, every(!) deal I have made with Bruce and Bradley have been always perfect! Without any(!) exception. All over the Atlantic ocean!
Most problems did occur here by German Post, they could be solved, when told to the CEO, well, you know it's an it culture project for the German parliament, so what should I tell them, it is lost, because you have lost the package? A few days later, the package arrived...

Well, to my mind Atari for ever! 3 years ago, I have published my vision for 2030, agenda 2030, please see the pdf file attached. Few things already did come true, the others will take a little longer. ;-)

We are still preserving, not finished yet. After this, we can start(!) to work... My vision is all Atari knowledge for example in the Wiki with an international site each. Have made a template for this:
https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=TURBAN

In ABBUC, many members have kids and the kids like the Atari, so there is not just Luke and Lea, there is still hope. ;-) After 2030, the baby boomer retire. If we can complete Atari, it would be presented for all for fun. But if Grusch is right with his claims, our world could be changed forever. We will see...

ABBUC_Magazin_Beilage_142_Luckybuck_English.pdf

• Like 1