IGNORED

Getting a SpartaDos X 4.49 cartridge.

MattM1121

Greetings,

I now have a working 130XE and 800XL. The 800XL was my first computer, so I find this rather exciting. I do have an SIO2PC serial cable and a very small Shuttle with an Intel i3 and serial ports. So my first question, before I jump back into the 8-bit scene, is; does anyone sell SpartaDos X 4.x cartridges? I know they're not commercially available, but I thought maybe someone provides a service to create a cartridge with the latest build. 

Is there a way to use SpartaDos X that's newer than 3.2x? 

I appreciate any input and look forward to building my Atari Scene. 

Thanks,

-Matt

You can run SpartaDOS X from a multicart like AVG/SUB-AVG or SIDE3. You can also run it from an AtariMax Maxflash cart, which is overall a little less economical at this point.

All SpartaDOS X versions are greater than 3.2. It started at 4.0, etc. It's also being actively developed (at v4.49 currently). You're probably thinking of the disk version, which is not SpartaDOS X, it's just SpartaDOS, and is only disk-based. SpartaDOS X is only cart-based.

A little more esoteric option for running SpartaDOS X -- but great for a native programming environment (if that's your interest) -- is the Turbo Freezer 2011. It has a built-in debugger, machine freeze states, 512 KB battery-backed extended RAM, and more. I'm not sure if they're still available, though. It plugs into either a PBI or ECI/Cart port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattM1121 said:

Greetings,

I now have a working 130XE and 800XL. The 800XL was my first computer, so I find this rather exciting. I do have an SIO2PC serial cable and a very small Shuttle with an Intel i3 and serial ports. So my first question, before I jump back into the 8-bit scene, is; does anyone sell SpartaDos X 4.x cartridges? I know they're not commercially available, but I thought maybe someone provides a service to create a cartridge with the latest build. 

Is there a way to use SpartaDos X that's newer than 3.2x? 

I appreciate any input and look forward to building my Atari Scene. 

Thanks,

-Matt

I used to produce a reimaged SpartaDOS X cart, but now corei64.com should be offering it.  I just tried to check their site and there is a firewall blocking it.  Could someone else try and see if they are getting blocked too.

6 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Could someone else try and see if they are getting blocked too.

I'm not getting through either. 

I knew you sold SDX carts before; but I wasn't sure of the current status. Good someone else is picking up the production.

11 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I used to produce a reimaged SpartaDOS X cart, but now corei64.com should be offering it.  I just tried to check their site and there is a firewall blocking it.  Could someone else try and see if they are getting blocked too.

I bought one of these carts from you (I think).  It is sitting here on my desk and when the majority of my Atari hardware 'left the building' (with Elvis), it is one of the items I kept.  I use it all the time.  Mine has SDX 4.47 in it.  Is there anyway to upgrade it to 4.49?

59 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

I bought one of these carts from you (I think).  It is sitting here on my desk and when the majority of my Atari hardware 'left the building' (with Elvis), it is one of the items I kept.  I use it all the time.  Mine has SDX 4.47 in it.  Is there anyway to upgrade it to 4.49?

Direct reprogramming of the 32pin PLCC chip with a compatible programmer.  Usually the easiest and the way I do it.  Here's the file:

SDX449_reimaged.rom

6 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Direct reprogramming of the 32pin PLCC chip with a compatible programmer.  Usually the easiest and the way I do it.  Here's the file:

SDX449_reimaged.rom 256 kB · 0 downloads

Great!  Thanks for that.... I think I got two of those off you if I remember... probably need them since some of BF2k+'s stuff ended up at my place.

But I really need some advice on how to convince Elvis to go home. :(

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

corei64.com should be offering it

Their site is back online now. I found SDX cartridge shells for sale, but nothing for the cart/PCB (aside from pictures with the shell listing).

[Note: you need a magnifying glass to read the text on this guy's site...]

[Edit]

You beat me to the punch.

7 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

SDX449_reimaged.rom 256 kB · 2 downloads

I'm guessing that my old Willem, while it programs the older EPROMS with the higher voltages, it probably will not program the PLCC chip in the X cart.  I guess it is time to invest in a newer programmer. 

I've heard about the TL-866, but really have no idea what I should buy.

The chip you are talking about is the SST-39SF040... correct?

The Willem can't touch that AFAIK.

Is this one of those chips that I can re-program in an AtariMax cart?  (Like I do when I have to unbrick a U1MB board?)

???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I was able to update all of mine using a flash program plugged into my Atari, I have two flavors, the drop in replacement and the Super with it's own case w/ the power and cart reset buttons

Would FJC's UFlash do this or is there something else?

I really don't want to buy another programmer at this point (but if I could get one that could handle everything and run in Windows 10. I might do that.) (Currently I have to maintain an old WinXP PC with a parallel port on it for EProm operations here on the Willem.)

@bf2k+

I used to get it from the SDX project site, I used the included flasher and I used Drac's. Probably one and the same now, as they eventually all get folded together.

https://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download_release

pick all of your devices, then get the extras also, since you probably will need all the goodies to enjoy all of the software and hardware.

https://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons

betas are here and sometimes are much nicer

https://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download_beta

oh look I am one behind, January saw some BETAs :)

also grab both imagers, one works with the Beta, the other with almost everything else.

Edited by _The Doctor__

55 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

I'm guessing that my old Willem, while it programs the older EPROMS with the higher voltages, it probably will not program the PLCC chip in the X cart.  I guess it is time to invest in a newer programmer. 

I've heard about the TL-866, but really have no idea what I should buy.

The chip you are talking about is the SST-39SF040... correct?

The Willem can't touch that AFAIK.

Is this one of those chips that I can re-program in an AtariMax cart?  (Like I do when I have to unbrick a U1MB board?)

???

The SST-39SF040 I think came in the limited run Super SpartaDOS X complete pcb and cartridge case with the reset button.  Is that the one you have?

If not then the PLCC chip is different.  It's a AM29F040B.

Edited by Dropcheck
added info

3 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

The SST-39SF040 I think came in the limited run Super SpartaDOS X complete pcb and cartridge case with the reset button.  Is that the one you have?

Yes I opened it up.  That is definitely the chip I have and the cart has two buttons on it.

3 hours ago, AtariGeezer said:

They're also used in the U1MB's and Incognito. @bf2k+  My old Willem read/write these perfectly :)

Interesting... I guess I would need some type of adapter to plug this chip into my Willem.  It only has a single DIP socket.