IGNORED

Atari Jaguar audio cd promoting the cd add on

mickster

I just bought a jaguar collection from the widow of a local atari collector.  He was a pretty cool guy that I knew for 35 years going back to when there were computer clubs that people would  gather at once a month.

One item in the jaguar collection is an audio promotional cd.  It has a single audio track that plays music in the background while describing the jaguar cd add on.

Does anyone know how these were sold/given away?

Do they have any value?

Any other history pertaining to this?

It is sorta hard to search the internet for information because the words to describe it are so common that pretty much everything comes up for the jaguar, not just this cd.

thanks for any help,

mickey

Here is a pic.

image.thumb.jpeg.dde8e651cb6cc8e45ce70a40b0819d71.jpegt

• Like 4

On 7/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, mickster said:

It plays fine on my car cd player, but my computer dvd rom doesn't read the disc, so it wouldn't be easy for me to rip it to a file.

If you have a doodad (not to get too technical) like a Griffin iMic, you could rip it from audio CD player into the electronic abacus via USB. Finding old-timey stuff like CDs players is getting harder, of course.

If the mood strikes you, you could also take a video with your cellphone while the cd is playing in your car cd player and then upload it to streamable (no account needed), or youtube or elsewhere.  The point is the audio, so if you were self conscious about your car's interior, you could put your finger over the camera. Wouldn't be archival quality or anything but that could be a quick and easy way to give a general idea of what the track sounds like. 

Edited by sirlynxalot

4 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

If the mood strikes you, you could also take a video with your cellphone while the cd is playing in your car cd player and then upload it to streamable (no account needed), or youtube or elsewhere.  The point is the audio, so if you were self conscious about your car's interior, you could put your finger over the camera. Wouldn't be archival quality or anything but that could be a quick and easy way to give a general idea of what the track sounds like. 

Voice memo would result in smaller file and no extreme closeup of someone giving us the finger.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, mickster said:

I just bought a jaguar collection from the widow of a local atari collector.  He was a pretty cool guy that I knew for 35 years going back to when there were computer clubs that people would  gather at once a month.

One item in the jaguar collection is an audio promotional cd.  It has a single audio track that plays music in the background while describing the jaguar cd add on.

Does anyone know how these were sold/given away?

Do they have any value?

Any other history pertaining to this?

It is sorta hard to search the internet for information because the words to describe it are so common that pretty much everything comes up for the jaguar, not just this cd.

thanks for any help,

mickey

Here is a pic.

image.thumb.jpeg.dde8e651cb6cc8e45ce70a40b0819d71.jpegt

I’m curious is this is a remake from B&C of the original Atari Launches disc? I have the Atari Launches disc and the authentic promotional disc they used in advertising photos and commercials.

The Atari Launches disc has a single track highlighting the Jaguar CD launch information along with pack in games and a contact phone which now leads you to a special promotion for people over 50, quite fitting.😂 

Total runtime of the Atari Launches disc is 3 minutes 30 seconds. However it’s not Tempest 2000 as the background I believe it’s Depeche Mode.

B7383622-546C-4485-ABBE-248702EC8C56.jpeg

A4745CCF-11DB-4E37-87AB-96D39591CB7B.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Could you rip the audio so those of us without the CD can check it out?

Sure I can run a quick 3:30 vid of the audio if that works. It’s similar to the PS1 launch disc I remember having it outlines the CD system and its capabilities and launch software etc and who to contact for more information. Nothing too crazy but it’s definitely a piece of history for sure.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Smallywood said:

Sure I can run a quick 3:30 vid of the audio if that works. It’s similar to the PS1 launch disc I remember having it outlines the CD system and its capabilities and launch software etc and who to contact for more information. Nothing too crazy but it’s definitely a piece of history for sure.

That would be great! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 2:39 PM, Smallywood said:

Total runtime of the Atari Launches disc is 3 minutes 30 seconds. However it’s not Tempest 2000 as the background I believe it’s Depeche Mode.

I am curious to know if they made multiple versions. Knowing Mr Tramiel I suppose he wouldn’t want to pay Depeche Mode royalties.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 11:32 PM, jgkspsx said:

I am curious to know if they made multiple versions. Knowing Mr Tramiel I suppose he wouldn’t want to pay Depeche Mode royalties.

Seems to me they wouldn’t spend the money on multiple versions but who knows. I still plan to get a vid of it up for everyone when I get the chance just been very busy.

Although I would think possibly mine is an early version (prior to launch date being set) and the final version perhaps was dated that could be true as i acquired the advertising disc for photo and commercial ads from the same source. 

@mickster Any updates on what’s on your disc to include possibly the phone number for more information on the disc message?

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, mickster said:

Any idea if that guy was a member of Atari Age?