IGNORED

HSC20 Round 13: JAMES BOND 007 & THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

JAMES BOND 007 & THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

Thought I'd override my Zaxxon vote and as it's quiet here in HSC land and we may as well try something different!  JB is a bit on the easy side and think TLD is a multi stage explorer but can't remember. Fandal's link tells you what order to collect the objects so perhaps play without that knowledge to start with and then use it to complete the game if needed - post to say so as if you figure it out yourself you will get more HSC points ;)

James Bond

Play the cart version made into an XEX: See posts below for more info

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/353261-hsc20-round-13-james-bond-007-the-living-daylights/#elControls_5291480_menu

Play on both Novice and Agent skill levels :!:

Instructions:

http://www.atarimania.com/8bit/files/James_Bond_007_Parker_Brothers.pdf

James Bond

note atarimania is prototype version - need to confirm fandal's link above is best version?

The Living Daylights

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3352

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-living-daylights-_3013.html

The Living Daylights

Round now ends Weds 9th August 9pm UK time :!:

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, therealbountybob said:

note atarimania is prototype version - need to confirm fandal's link above is best version?

Atarimania actually has two versions of James Bond 007.  The link above is to the prototype, but there is another.

Fandal has only one version, which it doesn't say so but is also the prototype.  Apparently only Atarimania has the right file.

You know you have the right version if the first stage is named "Diamonds Are Forever".

"Moonraker" is the first level of the prototype.  It's supposed to be Stage 3 on the real game.

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 6:30 PM, rdrunner said:

Atarimania actually has two versions of James Bond 007.  The link above is to the prototype, but there is another.

Fandal has only one version, which it doesn't say so but is also the prototype.  Apparently only Atarimania has the right file.

You know you have the right version if the first stage is named "Diamonds Are Forever".

"Moonraker" is the first level of the prototype.  It's supposed to be Stage 3 on the real game.

:thumbsup: I've just played my old file version and it's Moonraker so also prototype but looks like Atarimania's XEX is also the same.

JAMES BOND 007

Sort of a reasonably bad Moon Patrol game but might be some fun to complete.

See 1st post for new version/settings

PLAY ON AGENT SKILL LEVEL

START ON EACH MISSION (FIRE TO CHOOSE), LOOKS LIKE IT GOES ON TO THE NEXT ONE AFTER YOU COMPLETE ONE SO SCORES CAN WRAP OVER.

Moon Raker 1,260

The Spy Who Loved Me 11,340 - completed and ranked as 001 !!

For Your Eyes Only 310 pesky diver

Diamonds Are Forever 1050

The Living Daylights

got to the 2nd stage figured out how to shoot the non-blue guy at the end :D

Doesn't keep the score so play for stage and score if you see it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

The Living Daylights

got to the 2nd stage figured out how to shoot the non-blue guy at the end :D

Doesn't keep the score so play for stage and score if you see it.

At the end of each stage you have a short time to pick an additional weapon - I guess it's required to complete the next stage - possibly end boss etc, also guessing if you pick wrongly, yes that is a word, probably, you can't complete the stage. :ponder:

Noob question: Do we always use xex files with emulation?  The other file for James Bond 007 on Atarimania has a .rom extension.  I successfully loaded it in my Atari800Win emulator as a 16KB cartridge.

Either way, I recommend looking at the instruction manual on the .rom page.  It has clear descriptions of each stage and what you need to do, along with the complete scoring system.

I wish I still had my family's original copy of 007 (haven't played Daylights).  Great game that I used to play at my uncle's house as a kid.

• Like 1

I believe all file formats are fine, just that some drive emulating solutions only accept certain formats. The Atari emulators probably accept all of them.

Funny note that on the C64, the James Bond licensed games tend to be rated higher and higher for every game, which is unusual for movie licenses that otherwise tend to get rather low scores. I suppose that the Atari 8-bit was quickly falling out from the market which explains why Domark only bothered to port Living Daylights (1987) but skipped Live and Let Die (1988) and License to Kill (1989).

• Like 1

Thanks to @Xuel who answered my cry after spending way too many hours using different methods to in the blind convert CAR to XEX, we have a potential (only briefly tested) version of the cartridge release in XEX format. From what I figured after browsing through all the files on Fandal, Atarimania and Atarionline.pl, this has never existed before. Perhaps most people don't care enough about James Bond 007 to tell apart the prototype version with selectable missions from the final version that doesn't have that function. Which version of the game is more playable is another question.

I realize we've only got one more week to play, but perhaps this version is worth checking out.

james007.xex

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carlsson said:

I've played it a while on Novice level, and at least the first level seems to work fine. I only barely got past the first cliff. I tried the Agent skill level but it was way too difficult for me at the moment.

Novice - 1050 pts

Have updated the 1st post and extended the round. For now Play on Novice and Agent and let's see what everyone thinks :thumbsup:

• Like 1

James Bond 007 Novice: 6800 pts, stage 2

James Bond 007 Agent: 2750 pts, stage 1
Living Daylights: got to stage 3 with a low score (2200 pts) or tanked for points at stage 1 (5800 pts) but never cleared it

I'd say the older game is more playable than the newer one, but perhals TLD gets better if you learn it.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Fear not :!:

The Round 14 Poll is open https://forums.atariage.com/topic/353617-hsc20-round-14-poll/

Season 20 Current Standings Updated:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348454-hsc20-current-standings/

:)

Not many scores but here's what I have:

James Bond 007 Novice
  Player Score
1st AtariSphinx 7,070
2nd carlsson 6,800
3rd McKong               1,400
4th therealbountybob 1,000

James Bond 007 Agent
  Player Score
1st carlsson 2,750
2nd therealbountybob 1,000

The Living Daylights (Stage Reached)
  Player Score
1st AtariSphinx 3
2nd carlsson 3
3rd therealbountybob 2
4th McKong               ???

Some tips on James Bond 007 for those who haven't figured them out:

* You can only move to half the screen, meaning if you stay far to the left you can make very long jumps, but the further to the right you are, the less room for jumps.

* Once in the water, you can dive (push down) which makes it easier to shoot those henchmen divers. Those seem to generate quite a bit of points, more than the diamonds.

* As mentioned in the manual, you need to shoot diamonds routinely in order to see the oil rig which you should jump and land onto. If your shots don't get anywhere, you likely have the rig right in front of you and it might be too late to jump.

On second stage, I didn't clear the ship with the helicopter, not sure if I should land on that ship as well or just jump over it. I believe reading the manual would help.

Edit: Aha, one should dive under the oil tankers on level 2. The helicopter is indestructible. Now I want to play a bit more.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

James Bond 007 (Agent difficulty) - 9950 pts!

Just like on the first level, stay as far as possible to the left when you dive under the oil tankers on level 2. I cleared a few, but never got to the end of the level. This game definitely has more than meets the eye, so those who disregarded it early on probably are missing out a bit. It reminds me of that Skateboard game that almost nobody enjoyed except me, also a variant of the Moon Patrol theme.

jamesbond007-agent-9950.thumb.jpg.1dfda34c42ec1c83f214974ec55088fa.jpg

• Like 3

I love Dawn Raider so should like JB then :D Am back at the Atari tomorrow so will get some goes in at last. Round ends tomorrow night unless I want another day or two, also we need more votes...

Round 14 Poll https://forums.atariage.com/topic/353617-hsc20-round-14-poll/

:waving:

• Like 1

James Bond 007

Novice: 32550

Agent: 36250

I beat the game in both modes.  Once you complete the last mission, you just get another "Good Show, Mr Bond" message, following by the usual game over screen.

Playing this game for score isn't really all that important, as it is possible to endlessly play any level without actually completing it.

The real goal is to obtain the ranking of "007" by completing Agent mode with minimal deaths (max ranking on Novice is "005").  This is pretty doable, but you need a lucky, fast run though Moonraker.  That level will give you a beating if you can't complete it quickly, and it's random to boot!

The ranking system works like this, I believe:

Beat 0 Missions: 000

Beat 1 Mission: 001

Beat 2 Missions: 002

Beat 3 Missions: 003

Win With 1 Life Remaining (any mode): 004

Win With 2 Lives Remaining (any mode): 005

Win With 3 Lives Remaining on Agent: 006

Win With 4 or 5 Lives Remaining on Agent: 007

image.thumb.png.8877ed5112d80fa5f106a56e60da8170.png image.thumb.png.677f4e1943b4a239019d0e9e32586610.png

image.thumb.png.7353c5ec759b4b6ba4741e27a91399ed.png image.thumb.png.20b017b2b423426eb4ab0d275cb9806c.png

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1