IGNORED

Top 12 "must demo" cartridges

OLD CS1

For next year's VCF-SE, I plan to add a fifth exhibit system for nothing but original, classic TI games.  This was only but a thought to me until I had several people over the weekend come up who had a TI way back when and remembered playing on it.

I will have two boxes which hold six carts each.  I will start with my list, and would like to know what others people think should be included in the 12.  I figure some of the educational titles should be included, but I am not sure which ones would be best as I was too old for, never played or even owned any of them*.

1. TI Invaders
  2. Parsec
  3. Munch Man
  4. Hunt the Wumpus
  5. The Attack

* Although, as part of an AP class in Jr. High, I did computer demo for an elementary class which had a 4A and several educational cartridges, including Alligator Mix.

• Like 1

By "classic TI", do you mean published by Texas Instruments, or are officially released carts from back in the day that may or may not have been sanctioned by TI also part of the conversation here?

If the latter:

• Some of the Atarisoft games: I would personally vote for Shamus, Jungle Hunt and Donkey Kong
  • Computer War

Besides those, I think

• Return to Pirate's Island
  • Buck Rogers
  • Treasure Island

Eh, I'm just listing games that make the computer look good at first glance, I guess, so that those new to the system don't think it all looked like Tombstone city.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMole said:

By "classic TI", do you mean published by Texas Instruments, or are officially released carts from back in the day that may or may not have been sanctioned by TI also part of the conversation here?

Anything the majority of TI owners would have played BITD, something someone browsing through the event can pick up the joystick and start playing from muscle memory.

5 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

12 copies of Parsec and the jobs done

I only have three :(

• Haha 1

If just sticking to first party games:

A-Maze-Ing

Alpiner

Blasto!

Car Wars

Hopper

Hustle

Hunt The Wumpus

Munchman

Parsec

Slymoids

TI Invaders

The Attack

Otherwise:

Bigfoot

Centipede

Donkey Kong

Miner 2049er (if plugging into the side port isn't a prob)

Munchman

Q*bert

Slymoids

Super Demon Attack

TI Invaders

Tombstone City

...that makes ten good classic games, then if you want to add some educational titles to make twelve, I'd toss in a couple that kids desperately need help with today: Spelling/Grammar and some basic math cartridge. I see there's a Weight Control and Nutrition cart too. Could throw that in and ditch Miner for its side port goofiness. 👍

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, save2600 said:

We have differing perspectives on Miner 2049er 😆

I like some of the Atarisoft games, though.  I was hoping to keep the selection to standard-sized cartridges, as I am using these clear plastic trays which are stackable when using regular carts.  But, I am not married to the idea as there are some good games not in the standard form factor.

20230805_120106.thumb.JPG.e7a07ef7168ea274a81501ffca093609.JPG

35 minutes ago, save2600 said:

I'd toss in a couple that kids desperately need help with today: Spelling/Grammar and some basic math cartridge.

I feel this.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

We have differing perspectives on Miner 2049er 😆

Yeah, it's one of my all time favs on just about any system. 😁   Thought it always looked and played especially well on the TI. Like Sammy Lightfoot, Bounty Bob's animation cracks me up to this day. 🤣

• Like 3

It looks like to meet this goal I will need to pick up a few more cartridges.  I have everything mentioned so far, but I am trying to only use the dupes I have, and out of the commons I have picked up I do not have as much as I thought.  But, the list is shaping up nicely and I do have a year to prepare.

I have also pulled some educational titles from my common stash, including Alligator Mix, Early Reading, and Addition & Substraction 1.  The two maths may be redundant (though one is Scott Foresman and the other DLM.)

Everyone has given some great ideas, thank you, and I am open to more to shape things up.  Again, the goal is to have cartridges which people who owned a TI, or whose parents owned one, back in the day were more likely to have and can just plug in the cartridge and start going at it from memory.

• Like 1

As much as I like the idea of Adventure or Tunnels of Doom, I have to take them out of the short list as they require cassette or disk.  Return to Pirate's Isle might work out as I think it only requires tape or disk to save games.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, arcadeshopper said:

tennis

While not a tennis fan, this is a fairly impressive game.

8 hours ago, Arnuphis said:

Is that Tennis game the one with the speaking umpire who sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger?

It has speech, for sure, but not sure if this is the one you remember.

On 8/5/2023 at 11:34 AM, save2600 said:

If just sticking to first party games:

A-Maze-Ing

Alpiner

Blasto!

Car Wars

Hopper

Hustle

Hunt The Wumpus

Munchman

Parsec

Slymoids

TI Invaders

The Attack

Otherwise:

Bigfoot

Centipede

Donkey Kong

Munchman

Q*bert

Slymoids

Super Demon Attack

TI Invaders

Tombstone City

...that makes ten good classic games, then if you want to add some educational titles to make twelve, I'd toss in a couple that kids desperately need help with today: Spelling/Grammar and some basic math cartridge. I see there's a Weight Control and Nutrition cart too. Could throw that in and ditch Miner for its side port goofiness. 👍

Note that all of the DLM cartridges are still in use by schools as online practice programs, with one exception: Dragon Mix. That said, the rest will be programs that play exactly the same in the cartridge as they do online, so kids will recognize them right away. . .

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Note that all of the DLM cartridges are still in use by schools as online practice programs, with one exception: Dragon Mix. That said, the rest will be programs that play exactly the same in the cartridge as they do online, so kids will recognize them right away. . .

Is this available online to the public?  I would like to see them.

13 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Is this available online to the public?  I would like to see them.

It is one of the subscription services for online educational content that my local school district subscribes to. @iliketurtles showed them to me a few years back and compared the online ones to the cartridges. That was how we figured out that one title was missing. . .I'll check to see if he remembers the name of the service that was using them.

• Like 2

I am likely to put up a poll to determine what 12 cartridges should be in my exhibit.  I figure I am going to just stick with official TI cartridges (those PHM ones,) and even so my spreadsheet shows about two dozen.

Then I will have to source some of them so I am using dupes and not out of my library.