IGNORED

Current Atari 7800 game shell options for future project

swlovinist

Nothing to announce yet but starting to look around for an affordable option for 7800 shells.   I don't want to use existing 7800 game shells(if possible)as I want to get away from that if I can.  I see that there are some 7800 game shells on Ebay but the cost is a little higher than what I want to pay.   Another option that might be one I pursue is a 3D print model.  Is there one that works with 7800 boards?   Just kind of want to see what my options are to offer a game on physical release.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Nothing to announce yet but starting to look around for an affordable option for 7800 shells.   I don't want to use existing 7800 game shells(if possible)as I want to get away from that if I can.  I see that there are some 7800 game shells on Ebay but the cost is a little higher than what I want to pay.   Another option that might be one I pursue is a 3D print model.  Is there one that works with 7800 boards?   Just kind of want to see what my options are to offer a game on physical release.   

I've found that the 2600 shells on Thingverse work.  Scavenged a spare 7800 game and put it into a 3D printed case as I'm trying to do more 7800 stuff.  But, please test it yourself.  All those models seem the same to me but Murphys Law says the one I'd point to will turn out not working for you.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, swlovinist said:

When you factor in the time required to recycle old shells or the cost and time of 3D printing, new shells are very attractive. I have sold >thousands of Atari 7800 shells for these reasons convenience, time saving, cost savings and ability to have different colors.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Starwander said:

When you factor in the time required to recycle old shells or the cost and time of 3D printing, new shells are very attractive. I have sold >thousands of Atari 7800 shells for these reasons convenience, time saving, cost savings and ability to have different colors.  

Yep, and your shells are the best currently out there. I know I've used a fair number of them. :)

I have not tried Starwander's shells yet though, they look very nice and do tempt me from time to time. 

I currently use 3D printed shells but, my 3D printer is very old and slow.  In the past I had used recycled shells so, I know how that goes.  The cost of Starwander's shells is reasonable and I would think well worth the convenience.

Long ago, I did some experiments adapting 2600 shells to fit 7800 games.  I used a dremel to enlarge/widen the slot in the dust shield and glued the dust shield into a fixed position.  It did work and I use such a shell for my personal copy of Alpha Race but honestly, it is much more time to modify 2600 shells than it is worth.  

I would think you just want nice clean new 7800 carts.  Then the challenge is what colors?

9 minutes ago, SIO2 said:

I have not tried Starwander's shells yet though, they look very nice and do tempt me from time to time. 

I currently use 3D printed shells but, my 3D printer is very old and slow.  In the past I had used recycled shells so, I know how that goes.  The cost of Starwander's shells is reasonable and I would think well worth the convenience.

Long ago, I did some experiments adapting 2600 shells to fit 7800 games.  I used a dremel to enlarge/widen the slot in the dust shield and glued the dust shield into a fixed position.  It did work and I use such a shell for my personal copy of Alpha Race but honestly, it is much more time to modify 2600 shells than it is worth.  

I would think you just want nice clean new 7800 carts.  Then the challenge is what colors?

These shells are not as easy to find, but instead of butchering a shell you could have used one of these. They are spring loaded shells that you can find in 2600 and 7800 games. 

7800 spring loaded shell.JPG

• Like 1

I have seen those too in some 7800 games.  I didn't know they were in some 2600 games also.  I assumed that Atari had tried those for the 7800 first then shifted to more common 7800 shell as a cost reduction since those springs in the one you picture look a bit pricey. 

The "butchering" as you say was an experiment.  I wanted to see if it could be done. 2600 shells were cheaper and more common and also did not have the holes on the face which allows the label to collect particles on the back and maybe get pushed into those holes.

Well, not "butchering" anymore anyhow. :)

• 4 months later...

@PacManPlus had a limited run of colored 3D printed shells for Baby Pac-Man.  It is somewhat of a tight fit though.

I believe one of my consoles, I couldn't get the cartridge to stay down all the way, but still the majority of my systems it works beautifully.

Bob may be able to provide some specs and other tidbits concerning them that may be of value to you.

Wow - Can't believe that Baby Pac-Man thread was 4 1/2 years ago...

I had made my own version based on a few models of the carts...  And I even have yet another version (which more closely resembles the original 7800 carts but without the holes on the face) now, but I still need to tweak it a bit.

Unfortunately, the closing on our house is 01/26 and we are in the middle of packing so everything is packed away. :(

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1