IGNORED

99' VADERS - Kamikaze Aliens *** COMPILED Edition ***

tmop69

12 minutes ago, globeron said:

Small correction with G I could shoot in the old game (was trying the Q).  Also I note in the older version scores are 10x higher. Like 50 and 400 versus the kamikaze one 5 and 40 

Old version: 

20230820_181437.jpg

There is a limit on the size of integer numbers that the compiler can use, so the score system was changed to handle this correctly.

The <G> key to shoot is also available on the compiler, in addition to <Q> key (that is also the Fire on joystick 1).

• Like 2

Btw: when I said before that it seemed like a very long time after hitting/pressing a key that the game actually starts... learned you have to press and *hold* any key in for an extra millisecond or three, then it jumps right in. The good ol' TI input delay rears its ugly head yet again. My main criticism of the system and one that unfortunately affects many of its games. Including this one. 🤬😀🤣

34 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Btw: when I said before that it seemed like a very long time after hitting/pressing a key that the game actually starts... learned you have to press and *hold* any key in for an extra millisecond or three, then it jumps right in. The good ol' TI input delay rears its ugly head yet again. My main criticism of the system and one that unfortunately affects many of its games. Including this one. 🤬😀🤣

And you cannot move and shoot at the same time, but this is "by design". 🙂 

I've not tested with the real TI keyboard, but using a mechanical keyboard (with Cherry MX blue switches) on the emulator. After various attempts, this is the best compromise between precision/speed to grab the input. I'm not satisfied with the final result, but I think it's acceptable and better than the slow TI BASIC. After all, this is code from 1983 that was adapted to be compiled, not a brand new code designed to be compiled. ;-) 

Have you tried with a good joystick (a "real" one, not the one from TI...)?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

And you cannot move and shoot at the same time, but this is "by design". 🙂 

I've not tested with the real TI keyboard, but using a mechanical keyboard (with Cherry MX blue switches) on the emulator. After various attempts, this is the best compromise between precision/speed to grab the input. I'm not satisfied with the final result, but I think it's acceptable and better than the slow TI BASIC. After all, this is code from 1983 that was adapted to be compiled, not a brand new code designed to be compiled. ;-) 

Have you tried with a good joystick (a "real" one, not the one from TI...)?

Yes, all of my CX40's are either fully restored/brand new. And yes, I'm aware of what goes into compiling these old games. Please don't get me wrong... amazed and appreciate the work that goes into them and agree most play very well for what they are! When I complain about the TI's input delay (or sketchy collision detection in some games), it's something I've noticed since the 80's and can affect games written in any language. Just is what it is and part of the frustrating* "charm" when gaming on the TI. And I always play on real iron, never emulation. 

*especially infuriating when competing in these high-score contests. Even my GF was cussing old St. Nick out when we were playing a few years ago. Had to find a more robust controller with a steel shaft for her to abuse. 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 99V said:

Big congrats on the score. I guess it's not too hard. Do you recall the wave you were up to? 

Thanks, made it to wave 8 or 9. Another surprise besides the mothership taking off was the the ASCII mushroom cloud too. Some really nice touches there! 

It's plenty hard enough. Barely have time to reach landers or the mothership, and the chutes can fill up pretty fast. Much of the challenge for me is in the controls. But like I said above, part and parcel to gaming on the TI.  🙂

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 99V said:

If you scored over 4000 points, you would have gotten 4 extra space guns. So you had 7 to work with. How did the play go having all those extra guns? 

From an arcade or true high-score challenge standpoint, I could see where that seems a little excessive. But it seemed fairly balanced otherwise. If the controls were more responsive, could see me scoring way higher. In that case, would probably want to adjust extra space gun thresholds for sure then.

Being a challenging but fun home game though, I still get a kick out of and look forward to the little things you've instituted. Like the background color changes, mothership blasting off, mushroom cloud, enemy graphic changes, etc. Things like this help keep things interesting and break up the "monotony" of just reaching for scores.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, save2600 said:

From an arcade or true high-score challenge standpoint, I could see where that seems a little excessive. But it seemed fairly balanced otherwise. If the controls were more responsive, could see me scoring way higher. In that case, would probably want to adjust extra space gun thresholds for sure then.

Being a challenging but fun home game though, I still get a kick out of and look forward to the little things you've instituted. Like the background color changes, mothership blasting off, mushroom cloud, enemy graphic changes, etc. Things like this help keep things interesting and break up the "monotony" of just reaching for scores.

There is one secret thing that hasn't happened yet and when it does you'll be smiling. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, save2600 said:

Alright, will do! We do have a spoiler tag here though... not that some can't but help themselves click on it anyway. 🤣

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't realize that song was co-written by both bands. I never heard this version. 

Since I'll not do produce any new content for the TI, I'm sorry, but I'll do not support the V2.0 version of this program and/or any update for this program. The reasons can be read in another thread.

If there is someone interested to work with @99Vto compile the V2.0, please just send me a PM and I'll pass the last FIAD of the game (of course, check first with @99V).

• Sad 4