IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

- Which emulator is used for the 7800? The 7800 developer and beta tester community would prefer "a7800" emulator to be used. It was forked from Dan's original Mame a7800 driver, and is nearly cycle accurate, allows for mid-scanline graphical changes, has faithful pokey emulation, ym2151 emulation, etc. Prosystem 1.3. I was advised to use a7800 and we did try, but I dont beleive it was fully compatible with arm based chips like the Rockchip 3128 we use.

Out of curiosity, does this mean that the machine is running some flavour of Windows or WINE?  To the best of my knowledge, ProSystem is Windows-only.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think you have this the wrong way around. a7800 is windows only. Prosystem however runs on ARM chips fine.

No, a7800 is multiplatform - I'm running it under macOS.  As for whether or not it builds on ARM, I have no idea ;-)

1536@lolbox .a7800 % file ./a7800
./a7800: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
1536@lolbox .a7800 % 

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Prosystem 1.3. I was advised to use a7800 and we did try, but I dont beleive it was fully compatible with arm based chips like the Rockchip 3128 we use.

If you're going with ProSystem 1.3, I recommend checking out of the forks by Tachi and what's currently used in Libretro. These have improved compatibility, and in particular support Rikki & Vikki's custom hardware.

BupSystem, the emulator used for Rikki & Vikki's development and distribution, is also available for commercial licensing. This wouldn't be free, but the cost would go towards new features and improving compatibility. As of writing its accuracy is higher than ProSystem, but it'd take a little effort to catch up with a7800. It also runs fairly quick and is a good fit for low end targets.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, TailChao said:

If you're going with ProSystem 1.3, I recommend checking out of the forks by Tachi and what's currently used in Libretro. These have improved compatibility, and in particular support Rikki & Vikki's custom hardware.

BupSystem, the emulator used for Rikki & Vikki's development and distribution, is also available for commercial licensing. This wouldn't be free, but the cost would go towards new features and improving compatibility. As of writing its accuracy is higher than ProSystem, but it'd take a little effort to catch up with a7800. It also runs fairly quick and is a good fit for low end targets.

thanks for this, will read up and talk to the developer 

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Thanks for answering questions Ben, I have one to ask.   Can a Sega Genesis or Sega Master System controller be used on this console out of the box?   Thanks!

I asked the same question a couple of months ago to the hardware guys and got a not clear response. I'll ask them again or try myself on Monday when back in the office

• Like 5

With all of these great answers, now I'm really at a lost on whether to buy this or the Gamestation. My toddler enjoys watching me play Jr. Pacman and Juno so which ever system makes this easier for me to play those games gets my money lol. 

My wife can't stand the Pitfall 2 song (given that I play it quite a bit) so not having compatability for that game is probably a win for her book! 

At the end of the day, I'm now a consumer of homebrew releases so homebrew compatability is of utmost importance. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, SuperSamyon said:

With all of these great answers, now I'm really at a lost on whether to buy this or the Gamestation. My toddler enjoys watching me play Jr. Pacman and Juno so which ever system makes this easier for me to play those games gets my money lol. 

My wife can't stand the Pitfall 2 song (given that I play it quite a bit) so not having compatability for that game is probably a win for her book! 

At the end of the day, I'm now a consumer of homebrew releases so homebrew compatability is of utmost importance. 

Why not both? 😁

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, LatchKeyKid said:

He's making a good point though.  You focus on the big things first and get them out of the way and then work your way down to the less common even more niche things. 

Never said not to focus on the big things first.  Never said that.  Just asking a question.

5 minutes ago, napabar said:

No, you were being flippant.

Something to remember is that there are lots of different communication styles and there are members from all over the world.

So might be best to step back from assuming intent and tone in messages...

Perhaps it's just communication style differences...

Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, desiv said:

Something to remember is that there are lots of different communication styles and there are members from all over the world.

So might be best to step back from assuming intent and tone in messages...

Perhaps it's just communication style differences...

Just a thought...

He wrote "Is that one really relevant?"  Seems pretty straight forward rebuke to me.

Also, my question was to Plaion.

1 minute ago, napabar said:

He wrote "Is that one really relevant?"  Seems pretty straight forward rebuke to me.

I understand that is the way you took it.  But it could have been just a clarifying question.  I've disagreed with people here, but I tend to try to assume they are just asking questions.

Also, my question was to Plaion.

Also understood, although this is a forum.  I always think that if I ask something on a forum, even to a specific person, it's open to others on the forum to possibly respond.

But that's me and as I said, we all have different styles...

Have a good one!

• Like 2