IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Remember that there are different versions of the game. 

As far as I know, there are only two versions of the game (ignoring region differences) - an FE (SCABS) type and a plain F8 type. What I don't understand is why the 2600+ can't differentiate between the two when Stella can. Are they not using the latest version of Stella?

48 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

As far as I know, there are only two versions of the game (ignoring region differences) - an FE (SCABS) type and a plain F8 type. What I don't understand is why the 2600+ can't differentiate between the two when Stella can. Are they not using the latest version of Stella?

I guess the 2600+’s dumper code currently doesn’t support FE bankswitching yet?

38 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

Oh. I didn't realise that. That would make sense.

We arent quite sure whats happening with these FE oddments, but people here on AA have been sending me carts and the developer has been working on them, as you can see with RS Boxing and Circus Convoy booting on beta update. At the moment he is working on Omega Race which should resolve CBS Ram Plus carts, then I think lastly he will be receiving M Network games, once thats done I beleive we only need to get Pitfall 2 to have a theoretical 100% compatibility with original carts.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Crimson Cross said:

I got my stuff in today, such a great system and the AtariAge homebrews that I got all work...

MYATARI2600PLUS.jpg

I'm mostly interested in problems and complaints, but it can be exhausting and I like to sometimes relax and watch and read positive feedback, keeps me energised.

What made you write that its "such a great system"? Why, what do you like about it?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We arent quite sure whats happening with these FE oddments, but people here on AA have been sending me carts and the developer has been working on them, as you can see with RS Boxing and Circus Convoy booting on beta update. At the moment he is working on Omega Race which should resolve CBS Ram Plus carts, then I think lastly he will be receiving M Network games, once thats done I beleive we only need to get Pitfall 2 to have a theoretical 100% compatibility with original carts.

One question about Omega Race for the 2600 - it came with a custom pass through fire button that you could mount on top of the standard Atari Joystick.  Does that added fire button work with the 2600+?   It is this thing below:

CBS Electronics Omega Race Game & Booster Grip Controller Atari 2600  Joystick

Edit - and apparently you can mimic the booster grip by tweaking a few of the joystick pinouts:

Edited by littaum
Adding picture & link

2 minutes ago, littaum said:

One question about Omega Race for the 2600 - it came with a custom pass through fire button that you could mount on top of the standard Atari Joystick.  Does that added fire button work with the 2600+?   It is this thing below:

CBS Electronics Omega Race Game & Booster Grip Controller Atari 2600  Joystick

Do you have this in your possesion? 

I have a special cartridge for the 2600+ that shows all the inputs on the machine and joystick/paddles. 

More then willing to recive the joystick / send your the special cart to try?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'm mostly interested in problems and complaints, but it can be exhausting and I like to sometimes relax and watch and read positive feedback, keeps me energised.

What made you write that its "such a great system"? Why, what do you like about it?

Only having it for a short period today, this system out of box hits all those buttons from playing the games to the quality of the joystick and paddles to me really puts a smile on my face and it has delivered a great experience that calls back to when I had a original 2600 growing up...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Crimson Cross said:

Only having it for a short period today, this system out of box hits all those buttons from playing the games to the quality of the joystick and paddles to me really puts a smile on my face and it has delivered a great experience that calls back to when I had a original 2600 growing up...

This gives me energy bro, I hope you have many hours of enjoyment from it.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have a special cartridge for the 2600+ that shows all the inputs on the machine and joystick/paddles. 

It works like a Genesis controller, just with the signal for the extra button reversed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If the fix solves issues with CBS RAM plus carts, there is hope for Mountain King, too?

It has got the same label with the info about RAM plus.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

Just now, DEANJIMMY said:

If the fix solves issues with CBS RAM plus carts, there is hope for Mountain King, too?

It has got the same lable with the info about RAM plus.

thats my hope, generally when we fix a certain bank switch class of carts its a type wide fix.

We only have an omega race cart at the moment. I'd say it likely that if omega race is fixed then tunnel runner and mountain king then should by default also run, of course that will come out in the wash with internal testing and community feedback

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I actually do have the booster grip in my possession.  Send me a PM here and I'd be happy to lend you it for testing as long as I eventually get it back. :) I'll even re-verify it still works.  I'm an ace at shipping within the US, but I can never get paperwork right for overseas shipments if that is where it needs to go.

To my understanding of the omega race joystick dohicky is it works by splitting the fire button signal, and feeding the signal through two buttons that have resistors attached, one low, one high. Atari is pretty flexible and can read this as two different buttons (assuming the inserted game is programmed to read it this way) the Atari plus can read some analog signals, paddles, so while out of the box it may or may not work, there's certainly the possibility of a future update to make it work.

To my understanding, 7800 controllers work similarly, using one line split with resistors to fake two buttons.

Just got email claiming my paddle should be here Thursday, yay! Love Atari 50, but the paddle games on d pad or sticks just don't "do" it for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have one of these, will check it out in the 2600+ soon, but I'd expect it to work. The Omega Race joystick goes over the Left Joystick, and is plugged into the Right Joystick port. All it basically does is let you have access to the right Joystick button on your Left Joystick controller, because Omega Race is a two-button game. So as long as the 2600+ can recognize input from both a Left and Right Joystick, it should just work.

• Like 2