IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Hi, guys. First post (new to AtariAge, but not to the 2600). I hope to get to know y’all better!

I’ve had a close eye on the 2600+ release, but there’s one thing I don’t quite understand: emulators I’ve used can play dumped files for carts like Stella’s Stocking and Stay Frosty 2, also Pitfall II, so is it feasible that support for the more complex titles (and the games that use the Melody chip) will be added via a firmware upgrade, or is the issue so complex that a software upgrade won’t make much of a difference?

1 minute ago, Jason Lee said:

is it feasible that support for the more complex titles (and the games that use the Melody chip) will be added via a firmware upgrade, or is the issue so complex that a software upgrade won’t make much of a difference?

That's the intent.  No guarantee on getting Melody-based games working, but we are sure going to try!

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, console has only one USB-C port, used for power.

Which cable should be purchased to upgrade firmware? Something like this?

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s1/product/promate-otglink-c-otg-media-adapter-usb-typ-c-usb-typ-c-mobilgeraet-adapter-22741624

Thanks

USB C cable supplied with the machine is a  power and data lead. So no need for an additional purchase.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, console has only one USB-C port, used for power.

Which cable should be purchased to upgrade firmware? Something like this?

https://www.galaxus.ch/de/s1/product/promate-otglink-c-otg-media-adapter-usb-typ-c-usb-typ-c-mobilgeraet-adapter-22741624

Thanks

Way overpriced.

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Oh man, this is what I'm here for, thank you for posting this. I think for our generation, videogames are life because we where there at the beginning and its a medium that is art coupled with the unique characteristic that we then are the main character in that art. Its special.

John Hancock has a very touching personal story that really resonated with me, its worth a watch. 

Yeah, I can relate. Hard to watch that without the eyes moistening a bit. Thanks for sharing it.

1 minute ago, ls650 said:

A question for Albert that has likely been answered in the last 60 pages:  will 2600/7800 carts in the AA store be tested for 2600+ compatibility, and will their listings have a note of some sort to mark compatibility..?

Yes, I've already tested quite a few 2600 homebrews, and we're working on improving compatibility for 7800 homebrews.  We are going to create a separate "community" compatibility list for homebrew games and host it on AtariAge, although it will also be posted on Atari's website in the 2600+ store entry. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, I've already tested quite a few 2600 homebrews, and we're working on improving compatibility for 7800 homebrews.  We are going to create a separate "community" compatibility list for homebrew games and host it on AtariAge, although it will also be posted on Atari's website in the 2600+ store entry. 

..Al

Has there been any progress related to using a more recent/complete version of Prosystem than 1.3e? The source for the Wii/JS7800 updates is freely available, and shouldn't be hard to port, I understand. That would go a long way towards making the 7800 emulation better than 1.3e.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Has there been any progress related to using a more recent/complete version of Prosystem than 1.3e? The source for the Wii/JS7800 updates is freely available, and shouldn't be hard to port, I understand. That would go a long way towards making the 7800 emulation better than 1.3e.

I don't think a Javascript-based version of Prosystem would be helpful at all, as you'd need to convert that code back into C/C++ for it to be useful.  I'm not familiar with the Wii version, though.  Are there only forks of Prosystem at this time with these changes? 

..Al

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Albert said:

I don't think a Javascript-based version of Prosystem would be helpful at all, as you'd need to convert that code back into C/C++ for it to be useful.  I'm not familiar with the Wii version, though.  Are there only forks of Prosystem at this time with these changes? 

..Al

I think @RevEng is the most qualified person to answer this question.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

Yeah I don't understand why people keep promoting the javascript version.   It runs in a browser and the CPU in the 2600+ might not even be powerful enough to run it properly.    Even if it could,  a joystick-based system like the 2600+ is far from idea for operating a browser-based emulator.   

But I never understood why a7800 was not used?  It's already in C/C++, runs in Linux, is available standalone from Mame

• Like 1

I've worked with the JS7800 source a few times. My understanding is the translation of the core prosystem emulation to javascript was done by some automated process, and then fixed up and tied in to the UI after the fact. Most of the original prosystem code is there in the comments, so back-porting isn't impossible. The trick is knowing where the fixes are, which would need to be done by someone with detailed knowledge. Maybe @raz0red would be open to a gig consulting or back-porting the fixes?

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

But I never understood why a7800 was not used?  It's already in C/C++, runs in Linux, is available standalone from Mame

Performance. This device can't won't run the a7800 core at full speed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

As REV-Eng said - the original base code is in there. It's really not that many files. Most of them are just stubs/pointers. Presumably they could do a diff analysis in something like Notepad ++ and port in the changes to their version. They would have already had to port it to the ARM architecture for the board they are using in the 2600+ from the original Windows x86 source anyway.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:10 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

here's another this time screwing the CX40+ joysticks

Thanks! for sharing another videos. Can't get enough of watching these production videos. I't nice to see how it's manufactured and the production people assembling the hardware. That one dude in the background is even competing with the robot.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

2023 3D printed prototype

Nice to see the wireless controller you mentioned before 👍

51 minutes ago, RevEng said:

My understanding is the translation of the core prosystem emulation to javascript was done by some automated process, and then fixed up and tied in to the UI after the fact. Most of the original prosystem code is there in the comments, so back-porting isn't impossible.

Sadly, the automated process was me going through line by line. 🙂 Something that would be much faster today with Emscripten (ah, well...). 

This history is that I ported ProSystem to the Wii, and then took that port and created JS7800. So, it wouldn't be too difficult to extract those changes back into the Wii version, and ultimately have a cross platform compile of the core. 

Also, just for clarity, JS7800 does support gamepad inputs (via the browser). 

Chris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

As a software developer myself, using the JS7800 version, that is, having the emulator run in a browser on something like the 2600+ is simply a non-starter, that's not going to happen.  I agree that merging in code changes into the version being used on the 2600+ would be ideal, but depending on the differences between the version in the 2600+ and this newer "Wii" version, that could still be a fair amount of work, and someone not intimately familiar with the emulator could make mistakes that aren't immediately obvious.

I've not paid close attention to any discussions revolving around what's been improved in these new versions of ProSystem, can someone enlighten me with a brief summary?

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 2

Chris is the authority, but I think I can get most of the list right...

• dma cycle penalty updates, which fixes visual glitches (retail and homebrew titles)
  • palette accuracy updates (retail and homebrew)
  • opcode updates (homebrew)
  • maria render fixes (homebrew)
  • pokey accuracy additions (homebrew)
  • additional mapper support added (homebrew)
  • ym2151 support added (homebrew)

[edit] threadpeat

[edit x2] also relevant

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Sadly, the automated process was me going through line by line. 🙂 Something that would be much faster today with Emscripten (ah, well...). 

This history is that I ported ProSystem to the Wii, and then took that port and created JS7800. So, it wouldn't be too difficult to extract those changes back into the Wii version, and ultimately have a cross platform compile of the core. 

Also, just for clarity, JS7800 does support gamepad inputs (via the browser). 

Chris.

If nothing else - a port to straight Linux that will run on a Raspberry Pi (which is similar to the Rockchip ARM processor in the 2600+) would be great, or even just to get the Retroarch version of Prosystem updated.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

Will 2600+ orders placed on Atari.com be shipped at the same time as orders placed on Amazon?

I would hope that people who pre-ordered first on Atari.com would not have to wait longer than people who ordered later on Amazon.

If 2600+ Amazon orders were to get filled before orders placed on Atari.com, that would not be very good for the dedicated Atari.com customers.

I hope and expect Atari to do the right thing here.